Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
A Social Club Of One.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414 ... 416, 417, 418  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NGD - New Guitar Day!

My newest guitar!

On Friday after I got back from New York, I knew I had to do something and that was buy another guitar just after I just got one last weekend. That PRS guitar was a “target of opportunity” and set up this next one. I still had the money to get one more and I saved 340 bucks on taxis and I got my one day stay credit from Hotels.com worth over 371 dollars! That’s a good starter for a guitar and after talking them down should be good for a grand.

Now I wanted my heavy metal guitar as I’m a fan of the genre, so I found an Ibanez RG that fit the bill and was a seven string so you can just “chug” away with it. Anyway there are only a handful of guitars out there that are extended range seven strings, but that Ibanez was at a store near me. The problem was that it looked like cheap crap with a flat black finish that made it look like it was constructed of cardboard. It looked so much better on-line and this is the reason you have to try out guitars in person if possible.

So that was off my list and the only other seven was an Ibanez Premium at double the price - but wait - they had another seven in the store: The Schecter Hellraiser C7! Wow, this thing was the opposite of that flat black guitar! Shiny deep red with the most tacky binding with garish abalone inserts. Not only in the binding but in the fret board and so on. It was the most garish bling filled thing imaginable. It did have “stage presence” but was “so” not me.

Other than looks it was cool with a serious active EMG bridge pick up and Sustianiac on the neck. That Sustianiac looked like an afterthought. It was just screwed in and you could see this green like pcb underneath - the thing needed a border around it to look good. Looking at the back the guitar had two - two - battery slots to run it all! This thing was the bad boy of all heavy metal guitars.

In seriously thought about buying this as it was a few hundreds cheaper than the Ibanez Premium, but that garish finish - I felt that i had to wear a large Mexican sombrero with tassels to play that thing and look the part…..

The back is almost as pretty as the front!

So off I went to the other store with the expensive Ibanez Premium. The dude there found it on the wall and I took a look at it. This thing was pretty with this burled wood front that just pops out at you! But the biggest shock was the back that I thought was black on the photos on-line but actually a green/grey stain on that burly wood that truly looked sophisticated unlike the Hellraiser. No bling on the fret board only dots - but real mother of pearl! Same with the headstock - plain but with the huge Ibanez name also in genuine mother of pearl that is just awesome when you see it in person! The large name on the stock made me think this was an entry guitar for real sponsored stage performing people because it was larger than it had to be but legible while at a distance from the stage.

Even the guts of the guitar look pretty!

This was a real intermediate guitar. Everything was quality and looked like machined components as opposed to cast. Everything looked good from every direction (even when dissembled later). So double the price but I bought it - you only live once. This is probably it for awhile, Injust wanted to make sure Ingot all my must have guitars before retirement. I actually could see me at some bar with the hollow body messing around at some jazz event. The heavy metal usage on stage is harder to believe but possible and as some old fart I want to look respectable as opposed to. some mathusala trying to look like a twenty something with a Hellraiser…..

I haven’t got around to getting a decent amp as the Line 6 multi-effects pedal board into a cheap amp and headphones works for me right now. I’m also not getting into the amp vs. modeling debate, but you can get by without the old-school amp setup these days.

So in addition to playing around (literally) with these two new guitars, I’m back to catching up on stuff like corporate taxes and all that. I’m back to my usual routine.

https://youtu.be/5Ju2moalw1c?si=WkIBOvja1El3VdBi
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it’s Super Bowl Sunday so I’ll get this one out quick!

Question: Why get into guitars?

Answer: To keep my mind sharp for the advocacy as I get older. I asked myself what would be the hardest most “alien” thing I could try that would keep my mind active. Guitar playing and song writing and such was the answer. It also had a practical side as I’m into the music scene in a business way.

So, as much as people joke about me doing this there is a real reason, plus guitars and guitar playing are also an old fart’s retirement hobby so there is that! After almost one year this is how I relax these days!

Ah - some more…..

With the exception of some oral surgery for an implant, I have the next week off so tons of time to play with my guitars!

My newest guitar!

The Ibanez is the first today. I have to make sure I have the factory tuning and then I test it out. You usually know if you got the purchase right with the post purchase dissonance, you will have it but it is different between a purchase you keep and one you return. When I took the back plates off the Ibanez I knew this was mine. Something was rattling in the guitar - turns out to have been a piece of plastic and solder not from my guitar - but all is well.

I do note this is the first guitar that had absolutely no knob crackle anywhere. On most there is a crackle at one end that disappears as it’s played - but this one - nope. I’ll put both guitars on a strap and check the nose dive. If the hollowbody tends to dive a bit that way, then I’m keeping the original tuners on it.as they are lite weight I tried buying a drop in set by PRS but no such luck. I possibly could try smaller shops but enough money has been spent and I don’t need to be tempted. Things are good right now. The strat and Les Paul get hauled to events just in case. The new hollow body and Ibanez stay at home. I could do gigs in the future with the hollow body on amateur night and look the part. The Ibanez - I just wanted a heavy metal guitar as I love the genre - even Prog, this one is versatile so who knows. But I am relieved that I got my chugging axe! And that one I should check for dive also.

My Zen On guitar!

One last thing. With the new guitar my acoustic got kicked off the rack and I had it leaning against a book shelf. I thought I should just put it away in the basement like my el’cheapo Kramer and believe it or not it fits in that all purpose Gibson gig bag. I could barely zip it up but it’s in there, but now I’m having second thoughts about stress warping the thing - so back to the bookcase it goes…..

And so this is what I do to relax on my vacation…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/2_IjW4HWA4o?si=-4OZKbDOL7frQaMd
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More bad news or Yonge-Dundas Square and Nathan Philips Square as venues for FOFSTOCK 2!

Yonge-Dundas Square

City Council is passing new noise bylaws in the city and that means turning down decibel for outdoor concerts. This isn’t even the final straw but after the final straw and it keeps getting worse. Prior to this was renaming of Yonge Dundas Square and prior to the was the problem of the safe injection site behind the stage. This used to be the heart of the city…..

I’m so glad I dodged that bullet of Canada Day downtown. And so glad I didn’t go into hock for something doomed to fail miserably! But I am still in the music and committed to live performance, but this means a rethink on the venue and location.

In other news I took care of 4 annual returns and the HST paperwork for FOF. Next is the corporate tax returns and maybe even my personal return. I’ve uploaded the requested files to Apple for the app development program and we shall see what happens there. I have time now so I may as well get the onerous stuff out now…..

Guitar Corner:

I ordered the locking PRS SE tuners and will replace the stock ones when they arrive. The funny thing about North American vs. Asian made guitars is illuminating. Quality wise they are all the same. I have quality control issues with every one of the big 4 guitar companies I bought from. Here we go:

Had two but now has three springs like it’s supposed to have!

Made in Mexico Fender Stratocaster - loose plug retaining cable nut. One spring missing behind the back plate.

My Les Paul Studio

American made Gibson Les Paul - loose plug retaining cable nut.

My PRS hollowbody guitar!

Chinese made PRS Hollowbody II - Very loose bottom guitar strap tab. Also note that the stock tuners are so bad everyone replaces them with PRS SE locking tuners like I did today. Otherwise this is a well trimmed out guitar with binding, ebony fret board (first for me) and bone nut!

Indonesia made Ibanez AZ Premium - Very loose screw that holds part of the five way selector switch. Also something was rattling in the guitar so I had to take off the plates to find a tiny piece of plastic with some solder on it that was not a part of my electronics. Aside from that - this guitar is the prettiest with the best components inside and out with name brand stuff like Goth locking tuners and Seymour Duncan pickups! Tim Henson (one of the youngest and greatest guitar players today) got discovered with the song GOAT using an Ibanez AZ just like mine (but his was a 6 string) and the same Seymour Duncan Hyperion pickups. These days Henson has a sponsorship deal with Dimarzio pickups and various guitar sponsorships, but before he was discovered - he used the guitar I bought on the weekend. He also didn’t have tattoos back then, that didn’t jibe with the classical violinist past he keeps secret these days - Hahaha!

Even the guts of the guitar look pretty!

Anyway, two of his signature guitars are just prettied up versions of my Ibanez AZ- with Dimarzio pockups - hey, he has to eat too…..

That’s enough for now…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/8Ie77apU0RA?si=25DDiZCBwrLoRMud

https://youtu.be/oAplbflfLdE?si=MyE5g3Ky-LJFeURO
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday I got that implant put in. Now instead of gums and a gap between teeth is a gap with a titanium stub showing. I figure another couple of months to fuse the implant to the jaw and then we put the tooth in it.

Apple contacted me and they aren’t asking for more information. So progress on that front.

I’m collecting bank statements for the corporate taxes. This also includes the two IRS returns for IAIJ and FOF Records. The taxes just never end.

The Apple Store in New York!

Vision Pro Headset!

I even posted some Apple Vision Pro stuff on the Instagram accounts. Here are some just in case the world becomes like Ready Player one - then you saw the beginning here and now!

Yes, you could try them on!

Of course this was at the flagship store in New York, as of Sunday Vision Pro was not a thing at the Apple Store near me in Toronto. I guess we Canadians are backward that way.

Actually a lot is happening this February vacation. I now have time to do taxes and fondle my guitars.

Guitar Corner:

Most of the genres are covered with the guitars I have except traditional country I suppose. Mostly country isn’t my “thing” but I like to cover the bases. Anyway that can wait and since I said I wasn’t going to increase the size of my little guitar collection - that means that cheap and crappy beginner Kramer guitar will have to be given away or sold if and when the telecaster arrives.

As it stands the acoustic will have to sub for singer/songwriter and traditional country.

The Strat for the more southern country (position 2 they say) and most anything up to heavy rock as my example is a super strat.

The Les Paul is good for anything intermediate except for jazz and in to metal.

The PRS Hollowbody is “so” jazz - that’s what it’s for.

The seven string Ibanez is for heavy metal into numetal and death metal - all the heavy stuff.

That covers it for me. The telecaster still bugs me a bit. Like it or not, I was born a prairie boy in Winnipeg and grew up in Edmonton. So I should pay homage to that sooner or later. with a Telecaster We shall see…..

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to do this, but - NGD:

Yes, I bought a Fender Telecaster.

Like the Hollowbody this was selling as used but in new condition. If you look carefully you can see the plastic protective wrapping still in it front and back. No, this was not an impulse purchase as I researched all the stores and found this one. Checked all the prices and figured out my strategy. I even thought about trading in the el’cheapo Kramer but that meant putting on the original hardware - meh, too much trouble for the 100 or 80 bucks they would give me. I’ll give it to my sister’s kid if he’s so inclined. Or, I’ll work on that thing as a project. The old tuners from the Hollowbody won’t work in that guitar but if I replace the Telecaster tuners with locking tuners I’ll put them on that guitar as the original tuners on that guitar are probably the worst ones in the world, and they may actually be the worst!

Anyway, I checked it out as well as a new one with a Pau Ferro fret board (The feel sucked and it wasn’t dark enough to look like Rosewood). It also had a scratchy knob so I gave up on that guitar. I actually plugged the used one into an old tube amplifier and was amazed at how long it took to warm up. Then I mostly played open and first fret as I wasn’t sure about the nut.

Brand new and not a blemish on it, I decided to buy it after some aggravating negotiation with the manager. He did find out about FOF’s corporate account with the chain, but I use the personal account one for personal tax reasons. But He gave it to this old long haired guy at the store to check it out and he made a neck adjustment and tuned it, then they packed it up. Back home was no surprises - so I’m happy.

That should be it for guitars - at least for now - some players will be “tickled pink” that I actually got the cowboy guitar and in original twang/quack form. Time to start learning those four cowboy chords or whatever…..

Oh, and poor Tim Henson, one of the best guitarists in the world and a former nearsighted nerd originally - was pushing his new signature electric acoustic in music vids like “playing God”. Now that they are shipping the guitar to customers the bridges are popping off the guitar! And people are posting on his and the band’s social media accounts to complain about this! I realize this is a “horror show” for the young lad - but, welcome to the big time…..

In other news:

No word yet from Apple.

Still working on the taxes.

When I open my mouth you see this shiny titanium disk at the gap between my teeth - cool!

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/Z5NoQg8LdDk?si=wZ6xWfntUJtflK0K

https://youtube.com/shorts/ju_v0PAAwak?si=Kue4HNK5NH_nGL5K
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent Thursday watching snow fall and then shovelling it up.

My mouth is getting back to normal. I keep forgetting that when the discomfort dies down the mouth is still not 100% but there is still swelling that takes another couple of days. Not visible swelling anyone can see, but you do notice it coming down quickly on day two.

I’ve expanded the tax work to six of the seven corporations. This sixth fiscal period ends in March so I may as well do it and just wait till the end date and send that one in too.

Still nothing back from Apple. This is worse than applying for a mortgage…..

We finally got some snow to help everyone forget about global warming. I wonder how many we have left this year as I kind of like snowless winters.

What I really did Thursday was watch the rest of the commentary for “Fistful of Dollars” and fondle my new guitars. Actually I checked over all the guitars. I’m not returning any of the new ones. I guess I got lucky because I don’t seem to have the issues many others have, especially with Fenders. And yes, the strat and telecaster had to be by Femder because they invented it. The Les Paul by Gibson for the same reason. Ibanez because they are huge in the heavy metal genre. The PRS Hollowbody II should have been a Gibson 335 but those are super expensive. I get away with that one guitar as it’s not a copy but a smaller form factor and different internal construction. In many ways that’s PRS’s own design.

So the guitars are done and I’m not into flying Vs or Explorers like I was before. I just want to have the proper guitar for all occasions. All boring bursts with the Ibanez as the most colourful - I play it conservative in the looks department.

So coming up on one year at the guitar, I finally really concentrate on playing the thing. I’m doing opposite of how most do it but I love all of this! Most hate it after a while and quit - me - I’m the complete opposite! So I may be on to something.

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Apple finally gave me the free developer account.

Apple charges you 100 bucks a year and huge fees on free apps if they get over a million downloads or so. Anyway I run two not-for-profits so I applied that way to avoid the fees. Getting my mortgage for the first time was easier that dealing with Apple! You had to be on Dun and Bradstreet. Then you had to submit your passport and drivers licence to validate yourself. Then all the documentation of the not for profit. Then more documentation of the not for profit. Then finally, a phone call to speak with Apple representatives directly.

Apple gets cudos for doing business in the States instead of farming it out to India. Everything is like business hours central time. They called me from Texas even though they claim they are based in California - what up with that? Anyway, after three weeks I got my “fee free” dev account and the representative on the phone said congrats - and it did feel like winning the lottery after all that hassle.

Now - when you get the account the terms of service must be well over 200 pages of legal terminology. Just out of curiosity I tried to scroll to the end - and it would not end!

Anyway that was my experience with Apple and becoming a dev….

In other news:

I’ve figured out the profit and losses for the corporations. I just need to print the tax forms and start working on them.

And as soon as I finished spending money on the guitars - I now have maybe a clogged main drain in the house. The toilets are fine for now but soaking in the tub backs it up. I’ll chill as we have a lot of snow melting but if it’s still an issue early in the week I’ll call the rotor man and see what happens. It has happened before. So, they could not let me be for the rest of the vacation. Always something!

Guitar corner:

I was thinking of getting some locking tuners for the Telecaster but will hold off as my money needs to go elsewhere - like to a plumber. I was very lucky with guitar acquisitions this vacation, so I’ll let things be.

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my main drain from the house was plugged and I was getting apprehensive. Apprehensive because if a snake does not clear it you are in this for big bucks and digging! I called in the afternoon and was surprised that the Rotor Rooter guy was going to show up on Saturday afternoon.

Anyway he shows up and starts to snake his coils down the basement drain. He actually used all his snakes and his machine cutoff once because it was overheating. The snake was already to the city side of the line. I was starting to fear for the worst as in digging up the old clay pipe and replacing it - as in thousands of dollars. But pulling back the drain cleared the clog and we were good to go! It looked like the clog was simply the toilet paper plugging it up, but how could that be? He found out the brand I used and told me that that “paper” called toilet paper also had wood pulp and plastics in it that made it hard to decompose - so you learn something new every day! Then he told me the safe brands to get.

The technician himself was nice and he only charged me for the hour (it was close and I thought we would nail me for another hour), and off he went. So I dodged a bullet there and figured why not get to the music store before it closed and get those locking tuners!

My new Fender Telecaster!

I made it to the store in time and left with the tuners (the knobs at the end of the guitar to tighten the strings) and a guitar string snip. The snips were just to cut the excess of the used strings I was going to keep - but as soon as I started to unwrap the high-E string it snapped. So I pulled out a set of Ernie Ball 9s to use. In all those videos on replacing tuners they never show you them taking the old ones off - and now I know why!

The old tuners (basically new as the guitar was new) had to have a hammer knocking the pegs to get them off. Of course I didn’t use a framing hammer but this tiny one with plastic tips - but still a hammer! Putting the new tuners in was a breeze and then the new strings and tuning it up. I did this watching commentary on the movie “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”, and I was proud as punch over how all that turned out…..

Being the Telecaster was so simple, the new strings and tuners should make it the most stable electric guitar to learn on in my collection - so my Telecaster aficionados will like how all that turned out. The simple little guitar is starting to make a believer out of me. I didn’t see that happening…..

Two more days left in the vacation and then back to reality.

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/qFWoIyqSjlA?si=VCKD9RJYPYmJHFLY
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacation is coming to an end…..

Man, when I think about the start of the vacation - it feels like a gazillion years ago! Yes it is basically two weeks, but buying that PRS Hollowbody seems like ages ago! Even the short trip to the United Nations seems like a far off memory. That seven string I got is so far in the past I can’t remember which day it was that I bought it. Imagine that…..

The plugged drain I do clearly remember and I finally got around to cleaning up that spot in the basement and putting everything back where it was before. Nothing leaked into the basement but we needed space to work at the drain hole and all that. Anyway, it is fixed except that my drain drains like never before - so that turned out good!

I also found the remaining paperwork last night for the taxes so I can do it all now from my kitchen table. My mouth is as it was before except that I have this weird shiny disc of titanium in between two teeth. It’s really a cool thing to behold. Anyway months from now a tooth gets screwed in there. It’s even nothing to try and hide now, anyone that notices the gap will probably see the new hardware - so it’s not sign of not caring about your appearance, actually sort of bragging rights in a way.

Guitar Corner:

I hate to say this, but Hell has frozen over! I’m using the new Telecaster to learn how to properly play the guitar. The guitar I thought was ugly and just for country (every black/brown guy says this initially) had no interest for me. It was just something on everyone’s bucket list to have and was the last guitar to buy just because everyone says you should have one. I care about whose name is in the headstock so I just did my research and went to the music store and bought the thing and called my guitar collection (for now) complete.

Anyway, I had to figure out which guitar to learn on and I have to admit the Telecaster is the one. Simple easy controls. Simple fixed bridge to keep it in tune. The Telecaster was perfect and brand new even though I bought it used. Now the only criticism of this Fender Telecaster was the cheap tuners and the string tree. I resolved both on the weekend.

As you know, I replaced the tuners with the expensive and better ones on Saturday. Then on Sunday I found a better string tree (a small t-bar that keeps the smaller strings from popping off the nut) and replaced that. I had to as the one that came with the guitar only had the string guides and no barrel to elevate it. The guides were just acrewed down right to the headstock! So the strings had this extreme angle from the nut to the tuners and all new Fender Player Telecasters are like this! So I spent some money and got one like it but with a barrel to hike the guide up and a longer screw. You would not see the difference but this works better. Plus I broke the high E string that passes under the string tree and suspect that severe angle made it break - all good now but this should have been done at the factory. Same as the selector knob - these always fall off and the store put a vintage knob on mine as mine fell off - doesn’t fall off now - but this should have been done at the factory.

So now I learn the basics of playing guitar!

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/gs6S-1pwKFI?si=zWWXsUhut5Bn6cRS
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vacation is over and back to work…..

So, when all is said and done, this vacation was one of the better ones! Each week had something big to do which was the trip to New York and the United Nations in the first week. Then the dental implant in the second week.

The implants that shiny disc between the two teeth!

But the most fun was buying up the remaining guitars I needed to cover all my musical bases into retirement. The first was genuinely a target of opportunity being that PRS Hollowbody II sold for 45% off. Then that seven string I had to have which was the Ibanez AZ Premium - that is one guitar you do not have to upgrade anything, every part is name brand and matched. The last was the afterthought which was the Fender Telecaster. I figured I would just have it kicking around the guitar room only because everyone said you had to own one. Then I got curious, got hooked, and totally went through this guitar upgrading what needed upgrading.

So far the Fender Telecaster got:

High hat selector knob as the regular ones fall out usually in the shipping box. Mine was gone so the High Hat got installed and these stay in and are period correct for the 1950s. The second thing was replacing those budget die-cast tuners with Fender Locking Tuners. In the photo below you will see the new tuners with those wheels that “lock” the string running through the tuner - so you don’t have to wind them on the peg and hope they don’t slip.

My new Fender Telecaster headstock!

In that photo above you can also see the new string tree between peg two and three (from the bottom). That is also period correct for the 1950s as the 1960s went to a white plastic pole. Also, that white strip of plastic near the bottom of the photo is the “nut” and that is where the strings run through. With all these changes I added intonation Monday night and whole guitar is tuned up, set up, upgraded and ready to go!

I almost forgot - we finally got our Apple Dev account! When I get some time we will upload the code and see what they say. Don’t expect much as Apple is really picky about apps…..

I also got 4 corporate tax returns done - a pain but has to be done.

Finally was the plugged main drain. This is just bad luck but good that it happened on vacation as it’s even worse on a work day. Now I don’t question small amounts of bad luck and this was small with only an hour labor - so you just deal with it and move on…..

And that was my vacation…..

https://youtu.be/JROdHUjJ_94?si=mKeoneWL58bd1Yne
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I sleep in when I’m back at work and feel like being at work is the vacation from the hectic vacation that was…..

That vacation I just had wasn’t really a “vacation” but two weeks of doing things that had to get done! I suppose the guitar “safari” was fun but had to get done while I had the cash because money likes to move around and if it doesn’t got to things you like it goes to other places…..

So after one day back I feel refreshed. I will look at the corporate taxes and start the two returns where I made money. I leave those for last as they are more complicated. Then find the current IRS corporate returns and start to work on that. Paying bills for me and my dad. That is what happens Wednesday.

My PRS Hollowbody guitar!

I’m still no machine, so I’ll take a quick look at the new guitars and fondle them. I still have the locking tuners coming in for the PRS Hollowbody and that should be it for mods. I’ll leave the Gibson alone as those keep going up in value and replacing tuners will knock it down. Plus I need one guitar where I need to know how to string a traditional electric guitar tuner.

I hate to say it but I’m still recovering from the vacation…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/G2i3YcQtXhc?si=Df-0GN_HQagdjVFw
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A change of pace and a quick one…..

First is that we may be getting an album length new music project in the very near future. Basically I will leave it there until it is in our thands but it may come so quick that I can’t wait the usual time to hype it up so now it starts!

More to come - and say tuned!

In a similar vein is the future of FOF Records Inc. It’s trundling along just fine on its own but as I get older I have plans to keep these entities I made carrying on.

One idea I am musing is to have our not-for-profit called FOFSTOCK, take ownership of FOF Records Inc. and its operations in Canada and in the United States of America. Ultimately I envision a large musician collective in North America with advocacy, live events and publishing and music contracts based on a not-for-profit foundation, but able to deal with the business world as a traditional for-profit corporation. Not now, but maybe in a few years - we shall see how it goes…..

I know this sounds a bit crazy but perhaps justifies why I continued to keep the record label going when others would see it made no sense. Well now you know. And I checked, a not-for-profit can own a for-profit corporation, but a for-profit cannot get ownership of a not-for-profit. Anyway, this is the first time I’m putting this out there.

I’d be curious to see if we would be the first in Canada to do this and maybe the first in the States as we can do business there. I am sure the CRA would have a microscope on us after that - especially the musicians at the CRA - but it’s all good!

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/lk2-bgwA0Ro?si=qlaPNZDd636_pQay
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is this contradiction of philosophies between people like me and those that just live for themselves. I am at the extreme, governing my actions by a moral imperative. On the other side of the scale are those that do as they please and the only thing that stops them is laws and the threat of punishment - they are anarchists. Take those laws and punishments away and they will do anything they want without restraint.

I’d like to say they are “bad” and I’m “good” - but if here is no divine being above to punish us - if we are all that is - then who’s to say what goes and can’t go? Anything can go…..

My way increases happiness for all but the argument is easily countered by those individuals that prescribe we all live just for ourselves. I suppose the value judgement is made by what systems are successfully in place right now as nothing succeeds like success! So the better angels of our natures have succeeded in my viewpoint. It seems that if you overlook religious and political bents, societies worldwide allow for people to live their lives in relative security as opposed to the law of the jungle.

But you watch, if conditions deteriorate for some reason, natural disaster, war, whatever - the anarchists rear their heads and start doing their thing.

Anyway, for old guys like myself, you are a part of an army to ensure the present state of human existence continues and even improve oneself because my goal is to increase overall human happiness. That’s why I’m at the United Nations. I for one, don’t get money, women, or even actual status where I live. This is all done in the shadows for the most part.

I do have influence but to do what I do successfully, I sort of have to be like the anarchists - but choose to go this other path. Similarly those that are anarchists and try to consolidate their ambitions by numbers, can fall into the trap of caring for others of their gang and thus are becoming like the system they fought against. They will claim it’s only to enforce their selfish ideals, but that is just another form of political leaning of a typical society as we know today.

Anyway that what’s happening with me now. Your life gets more and more complicated and harder to get out of. You would like to slowly divest yourself in your projects and philosophy by having others take your place, because if you die now - all that you value and your legacy gets lost!

Check out what happens to people you know who have passed on. There is the funeral where nobody speaks ill of the dead and the reception where their real life is discussed in closed circles. But a few weeks on and it’s as if that person never existed. Think about what bothers you in your life now. Arguments with family or issues at work. When it comes down to it - none of this matters in the least. None of it matters and your life doesn’t matter. Think about the most important people in the history of humanity. Out of billions that is a small number. And how much is the truth about them and not made up?

The issues in our lives don’t matter and ultimately our lives don’t matter. We don’t matter and that is the argument the anarchists make and I have to say that it’s compelling. But we live in a society with rules and laws and it works
around the world. So i’m trying to improve on that globally. That is how I ended up doing what I do.

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/B48xIcvgzYM?si=ulTAEJZ91m1keUUE
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short one as I slept in.

Sleeping in on Saturday is one of my few luxuries I have left. Then I fooled around with my guitars. I’m actually setting them all up. None of the guitars buzz, and now none have dead spots on the fret board. In other words they are all now proper guitars. Saturday is actually a slack day to recharge.

Guitar Corner:

I’m keeping all as is. They are all paid for as is. I did consider returning the Telecaster for one with an ashtray bridge but wasn’t sure if it would affect my playing with the high sides of the bridge - it’s an easy swap on the guitar I have so I’m keeping it. So instead I upgraded the tuning machines and the string tree. No blemishes and everything is straight as an arrow - even the selector knob that always falls off now has a high hat replacement knob that stays in place. They made a neck adjustment at the store but I had to intonate it at home. No noiseless pickups on this guitar, I wanted the true tele sound and apparently you get it in this model. Also, no contour cutouts as I wanted the basic traditional tele shape. So the Fender Player Telecaster is a keeper.

I finally checked the tuning of the seven string Ibanez. I wasn’t sure before, but I believe they ship in standard tuning and just come with a slack seven string to be set for a low B for example. That one needed some setup at the bridge but nothing had to be done with the frets which is huge as they are Stainless Steel and as is it will last forever without messing around with them. The PRS Hollowbady was setup properly.

Saturday afternoon is finishing off the taxes and bills. Supper at home and I’ll watch a movie. There is too much to do but that usually gets done as we move into Monday.

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big news is that the Canadian corporate taxes are done!

All that remains is the American taxes. After that is going shopping with the family. Playing with my guitars and taking it easy.

What a relief!

Goodnight…..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414 ... 416, 417, 418  Next
Page 413 of 418

Jump to: