Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
Interview With Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Interview With Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Reply with quote

Interview With Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

By Maurice Ali, Journalist

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

It was last Sunday when I heard the news that Robert F. Kennedy Jr. was coming to town to promote a book of his called: "Crimes Against Nature: How George W. Bush And His Pals Are Plundering The Country And Highjacking Our Democracy." - A diatribe about George Bush and his environmental record. I heard it on community radio and thought: "This was interesting; a Kennedy that turned his back on politics and concerned himself with the environment....." The other interesting thing was the name recognition that would go with this story.....possibly an interview, with Mr. Robert F. Kennedy! He was to give a reading on Friday, November 19, 2004 in downtown Toronto.

I wanted this to be on tape and that meant a two man crew. So I contacted Dan and told him about the opportunity. He was of course, ecstatic about the chance to get some air time with a Kennedy. So then began days of planing and memo swapping as we tried to figure out the best way to corner the Kennedy and get a quick interview and hope something important would sprout out of his mouth. The event was being held at an Anglican Church (St. Barnabas Anglican Church) and not at the usual campus auditorium. No matter, we could get there early and corner him at the steps or side door as he left, all I needed was some far away shots and a quick reply as he was taken away to whatever event he was to do next.

The Anglican Church, site of Kennedy's Friday reading.

I could not keep this type of opportunity a secret - Robert F. Kennedy Jr. in town and at a time I could get to! The name was magic and all who paid an ear were impressed. Now we could do an interview just like all the big news stations! The name alone would get us a massive chunk of traffic to our venue! Another notch in the wood; another feather in the cap! Perhaps I could strike up a conversation with the man; get some kind of inside communication going with the renegade Kennedy! Madness for sure; but these were the thoughts that ran through my mind as I thought about the upcoming event.

Side entrance to the Anglican Church.

Practical concerns about what kind of questions to ask, I came up with three that we could quickly ask as he passed by:

Maurice wrote:
What brings you to Toronto?

If you are truly concerned about President Bush and his environmental record, why not enter politics?

(if he says no.....)

Is there any situtation that would motivate you to enter politics?

Thank you for your time Mr. Kennedy.....

What would I do if we got him to admit to wishing to finally enter politics? I could try to sell the clip to CNN and the others! What a scoop! This was the kind of story that people universally would like and respect - I was so pumped up for the event. I came up with Dan's lead in and lead out for the clip and figured a backdrop of passing vehicle lights would be the best frame for our star attraction: Robert F. Kennedy Jr. - Now we had a story!

It was Thursday, one more day to go, and I decided to leave nothing to chance and do a recon of the area to pick a parking spot and make note of the exits and such where we could get our interview with a Kennedy. I finally found the church and parked the car. Yes, this was the place; I walked up the stairs of one of the entrances and a note stared me square in the face:

[img]http://fortressoffreedom.com/Kennedy3[/img]
The note.

Kennedy cancelled! Kennedy cancelled! The worst part was reading that it was a "family emergency" - that statement was always crap and I knew it! The same thing happened at the Trinidad and Tobago trade mission to Canada where a former Miss Universe also had a "family emergency" and stood us up at that event. I groaned, I really wanted this story. Dan would probably be all prepared when I met him in the morning and now I have to tell him this..... What a downer; why do they always do this to us small time reporters. A reporter's life is the parasitic life that follows those who make the news.

I tried to console myself saying that this was the best thing that could have happened. That Fortress Of Freedom is the "little man's voice to the world" and that Robert F. Kennedy Jr. was a sell-out to the ideals. Perhaps this was the truth, and we deserved the thumping we got for being so commercial and superficial. Back to real journalism where the story - not the name of a person - is the king. A lesson learned; but what if.....
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: