Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
An Incalculable Rip-Off!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Getchell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: An Incalculable Rip-Off! Reply with quote

An Incalculable Rip-Off!

By Dave Getchell

Having been a Toronto resident or “Torontonian” for almost my entire life, I have great appreciation for the Toronto Transit Commission or TTC, I have been a customer for over 40 years, my Grandfather was an employee, my wife is employed as a bus driver and there are three more people in my extended family that also work there. While I could complain about the service or the fairly recent “Yield” rule that I feel could ultimately contribute to the deaths of many cyclists, my focus today is on the statement printed in very tiny letters on each ticket that says “Valid Until Further Notice”.

Who is the marketing genius responsible for implementing this scam? As an infrequent rider, the ticket I buy today may well be worthless the next time I ride, and I have gotten tired of being treated like a thief for putting in an invalidated ticket (usually for one of my children). Odds are that the fare has gone up ten to twenty-five cents since the new tickets were issued, “Oh Well”, but why has my ticket lost its entire value?

Money, most companies these days will take what they can. I could stop using this subsidized service and travel by other means, I could always pay the higher cash fare (just imagine the government stamping “Valid Until Further Notice” on our currency) or…

I can choose to publicly ridicule this very obvious money grab and challenge the TTC to be more ethical and start printing an “Expiry Date” for a valid fare with a expressed trade-up value also printed on each ticket; There is no way to measure how much cash taken from riders pockets with each ticket invalidation, but you can bet it is considerable.

Consider yourself challenged, Mighty Commission! Let’s make it more palatable for people to ride, it is greener (not more than cycling) and safer (not for those who are cycling because of that damn yield rule).

The added weight of my child on the three-stop trip I took on the subway today cost the subsidized commission an incalculably small amount of electricity; it cost me an extra ticket and yet again caused me the stress of being “called out” in front of one of my impressionable youngsters for using an invalid ticket that I purchased an entirely unknown time ago.

dg
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: