Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
A Social Club Of One.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 416, 417, 418  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice Ali wrote:
I spent the morning applying for my passport as sooner or later I will have to truck it to the States or U.K. as we seem to keep growing by leaps and bounds.....

When I got home I wrote a scathing review of Canadian Music Week and why it sucks because you need a thousand dollars to participate in the convention held at the Royal York. This is an industry affair with no music at all, more of the booths and seminars, but this is where I wanted to be. I was so pissed off I decided to crash the party and I actually got in! I am working on the photos as we speak and should have the thing up this weekend.

What a mini-vacation. The D-Beta marathon for TV, working on the paper with Ainsley, and the Convention (along with things like taxes and passports and such.....). I actually had fun. The convention was the most fun - yes I will admit it.....

Here is a teaser. Forget about the music industry guy on the right and focus on the left. I don't know the identity of this gal, but check out those music cases! More on the weekend.....

Ok, here we go. I will post part one of the articles on Canadian Music Week as is. Part two took me in a different direction but part one - written in the heat of anger - will stand as is. You may be surprised that as I had fun at this convention, the reality is that it spells the death of the independent record label. It was so obvious by absence and proves my philosophic theories correct and the reason for our organization a reality. As we struggle to survive and grow and continue to finance this, the reason for our cause has panned out, and so where do we go from here?
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Music Week/Death Of Indie Record Labels

By Maurice Ali

Some old stock from the old days where we sold CDs throught store front record stores!

The Canadian Music Week Convention is now separate from the Canadian Music Week performances. The vast array of music being played in the venues around Toronto this week are really for the music lovers. The convention is pure business. That is what I love, but I won't be there this year. The reason is simple and it is the 1,000 dollar entry fee. Worse yet is the two hundred fifty dollar student pass to get in. What student has 250 dollars to go to a convention? It is clear to me that Canadian Music Week does not get it. Do they have any idea what has been going on the last few years? I really would like a head count of the actual number of real record labels that were in attendance (as opposed to big multi-media giants looking for prey.....) and my guess would only be a handful.

Apart from the money, I would shy away because of the negative atmosphere that still permeates the industry. Personally dealing with once big industry retailers and seeing them go bust was heartbreaking. There is spilt blood everywhere and the feeling has a carry-over effect to the optimistic and more avant-guard corporations like Fortress have at the present time. Still I want my voice heard at venues like this. It is obvious, by that entry fee, that they are simply not interested in us at the lower end.....

Fortress is in the rather unique position of practically being a mid-sized company for a record label. How so? Simply this; by all standards FOF is small business, but the music industry is so decimated now that there is no more traditional mid-sized record companies. Fortress Of Freedom Inc. is the closest thing with it's small troop and multi-media ability and corporate conglomerate status. That is actually a rather heady position to be in as we slowly claw our way out of recession and the rationalization of the music industry. Nothing is for sure but we have a chance to make a mark on the music scene and people like Shane and the others who have shown their loyalty to the rather unique vision of only a few years ago, may be the really big winners here.

I have a feeling that if I did shell out the grand for the convention and the Gene Simons photo op (how much of the entry fee whet to get him there.....), I would only be snubbed by big business there and the last gasps of any label still kidding themselves that they can make money from CDs. Still, at 250 dollars it would have been worth it to rub shoulders with everyone and really talk about the issues the pertain to all of us. That will not happen this year, the industry priced itself out of Canadian Music Week!

I have more urgent matters. For one, we are involved in an iPhone application for direct purchase through customer's cell phones. That is where it is "at" in today's reality. Next year Canadian Music Week had better be more inclusive to the industry in the future, or it will be made redundant.

Gianna with one of our last retail cheques from Sam The Record Man!
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Music Week: Part 2

By Maurice Ali: FOF Records/FOF Inc. and Journalist

Musicians and Industry people at the Royal York Hotel where the convention was held!

"Short of kidnaping them, this is the best way to reach the cream of the industry crop, those VIP's with the freedom to make strategic decisions and major purchase orders. Housed within the conference floor, these limited number of exhibitor spaces are the most prime real estate at CMW. "

That quote above was from the Canadian Music Week website. Mostly true with regard to the small industry here in Canada. I really wanted to get into this convention, really wanted it bad. Here I was, running this small record label, yet doing all the things a real label does and not some vanity. I had recorded at world class studios. I had produced every way imaginable, did production favors for groups like Glass Tiger and Saga, hired Grammy and Juno nominated production staff (sometimes with "creative" payment arrangements), hung out with folk like The Barenaked Ladies and Jeff Martin. I did business with some of the biggest broadcasters and radio stations, and retail from all the usual suspects. I am part of the Canadian Music Industry dammit!

I wanted in and when I finished the first part of this article, I sat back and decided to crash the party.

A table with "calling cards" of industry and acts at the convention and festival!

The hard part was getting in as the pass can go for as much as a grand. I could pay this but there are more important things for that money than me going to a convention. So I drove down to the hotel where the convention was held and broke in uninvited.

These guys were some of the "gate keepers" and didn't mind me looking around and taking
their picture!

Surprisingly nobody seemed to care much and I started to wander around. I had my P&S camera to shoot a few pictures and left the pro bodies home as I did not want to attract attention (and there were pro photographers there would have started asking questions).

I will get more into this in the conclusion, but I want you to take a good look at the topics. They are aimed mostly at broadcasters and not record labels. You would be hard pressed to think record labels had anything to do with the industry anymore, and they may be right. Broadcasters were everywhere!

And interview setup with some old Panasonic P2 HD recorders!

News media were there in small number as this was a trade show and convention. The real news media were at the festival. Conversations seemed to revolve around presentations to companies. Don't ask why but I found all of this really exciting.....

What is this? Our old adversary "The Haliburton Group" was at the convention!

Like I said the convention was mostly broadcasters, like the Haliburton Group! I have issues with these guys as they foiled all of our attempts to purchase this little radio station in North Bay. At the very start of FOF a group of us decided to just toss caution to the wind and try to start a radio station in the rural areas. There was this opportunity for one in North Bay. We eventually gave up as it seemed this nice Ma & Pa operation was interested and more experienced. Later the Haliburton Group got in and got the radio station. MooseFM - well maybe we were better off without the station (that's a lie as I would have loved running a small radio station...).

Much Music had a display as well as CHFI, all big broadcasters. Much Music is now owned and operated by CTV.

Look who else is here - The New Flow 93.5!

I find it very funny that Flow - or the "New Flow" - is at Canadian Music Week; as they really don't promote Canadian music all that much. I know this first hand from my attempts to get any airplay from our artists. Simply adhering to the broadcaster code forced a positive response from us, but the fact remains that they do not support upcoming Canadian artists like they did in the early days.

An entrance to one of the rooms with vendors. The photo above and below show the usual industry trade show set up. There was also a room where you could get tickets for acts playing in the festival. I had to keep a low profile as waltzing through seminars with a camera clicking away and no "dogtags" would get me thrown out of the convention very quickly!

And so it went on like any other convention. All business and no booze or drugs or any other shenanigans that I could find. At this level it is all business, and I like it!

Ok, check out the photo below. You would think that Canada was this inclusive media society with a multi-cultural flair at the convention. I saw not one Oriental at the convention, not one! I suppose maybe we would see some Orientals speaking at the seminars noted on the huge poster put out by the government. I suppose in this case the spotlight really is on China and not Canada! Having said that, I will have to admit that while this is empirical evidence on my part, I was not at the convention long enough to truly make the statement that there were no Orientals at the affair. I am sure there were some, but very few indeed!

Government involvement at the convention!

While I would say the convention as almost entirely "White" in makeup, there was nevertheless a small but noticeable amount of "Brown" people like myself. I am almost sure these folk are from West Indian heritage as they are more embedded into Canadian Culture. Well I was there and my background (being born in Canada and raised in the Prairies, etc.) tell the tale better than anything else. It is clear that Canadian media needs to be more inclusive and representative of the current population. The photo below shows one such member of the music industry taking care of business!

One of the minorities participating at the convention!

Conclusions

1. The convention has to be easier to attend by the industry. The one thousand dollar entry fee is to steep. Even for corporate businesses, this is steep. Sure we are talking entry level participants, but this is where the action is right now. Look, getting a booth and two passes is two thousand, why the steep price on the walk-ins? I know that the grand is for all events and such, still that is too much! I also understand about keeping the general public out, but music producers and publishers with airplay and corporate identity like Fortress, should not have to sneak in to participate.

2. Being more inclusive to other cultures. Other cultures should not be some "side show" seminar but embedded media participants at Canadian Music Week!

3. More record label involvement at the convention. I did note that there were a few labels at the convention. I know that Rosedale Records had a booth set up somewhere there, but that level of representation was lacking.

In fact, the convention itself was a model of how to run a music convention without anyone there that in anyway produced music! Broadcasters galore but very few people who actually get their hands dirty finding the talent and developing it and putting out the music like Fortress does. I will come back here next year, I really want our concerns to be addressed as much as possible to this powerhouse of media. It is a powerhouse as Astral Media (for example) seems to own a good portion of the radio stations in Canada. This convention was a good place to introduce upcoming bands to broadcasters, this much was true. But it could be more, much more. Time will tell.

From files of Maurice Ali
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Fortress Of Freedom and IAIJ - we run many websites - actually 16. We are currently looking at ways to update the site for promotion for possible series air play. Here they are as they are at this moment in time:

http://fortressoffreedom.com
http://iaij.com
http://iaij.org
http://fofrecords.com
http://morevision.ca
http://thefortressexperiment.com
http://shanemurphy.ca
http://twenty6hundred.com
http://davegetchell.ca
http://gritzakachuck.com
http://aavryknapp.com
http://shaunkelly.ca
http://donaldbrasseur.com
http://jessicaking.ca
http://buttonz.ca
http://mauriceali.com

Upgrading these websites is big stuff due to the number involved. Well I wanted this and I've got it.....

Some more.....

It started this morning going over financial statements. Then just typing out all the websites makes my head spin. We are growing by leaps and bounds. I really wanted this and I have it. Now we just have to hang on..... I don't like to slow down momentum. We just have to keep at it and hang on..... Fun huh? hehehehe.....

Bottom line - if we can't do this with the brains and talent here, then I truly worry for the future and access to the mass media.....

Goodnight!
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure I will post this up before I go to bed. We have reached a point where I have to delegate authority as I can't be there for all things all times. So for the first time - we now have expense accounts for staff who have to go to functions on behalf of the organization. This starts tomorrow and is another sign that we are pushing up into the next business level. I am starting to focus on the issues that I have to deal with personally while others handle the tasks they are qualified to do. We are operating as a mid sized company at small business budgets. Only could happen in the devastated media business! Six companies four of which are corporations with offices in North America and England; that is mid-sized business. So we will flirt with this new level of functioning and see where it will take us. But this is nowhere close to a one man show, and in fact it can no longer be run by one man. Things are changing fast.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane Murphy wrote:
Willis Hiscock Signs Record Contract With FOF Inc.!

By Shane Murphy, A&R Manager: FOF Records/FOF Inc.

Willis Hiscock with Maurice Ali (CEO: Fortress Of Freedom Inc.) holding his recording contract!

The Fortress Of Freedom Corporation and FOF Records are pleased to announce that veteran country music performer Willis Hiscock has signed a recording contract with our label! The contract is to produce one album with Mr. Hiscock for commercial distribution and radio play.

Willis Hiscock with Shane Murphy (Manager: FOF Records) holding his recording contract!

Willis Hiscock, who hails from the East Coast, has been performing in and around the greater Toronto area for many years with Vern Brown and call themselves "Willis and Vern!"

Willis and Vern Performing!

From all of us at Fortress Of Freedom/FOF Records, we wish Willis all the best in the production of his first album and the best wishes for his continuing career as one of the finest performers in Country Music!

Willis Hiscock!

Please Visit Willis's Website At: http://willishiscock.com

So Willis Hiscock becomes the 10th musician to sign with FOF. Congratulations Mr. Hiscock and best wishes for a first class album!
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed to relax today so I drove downtown and hung around the set of a pilot for CBS/Paramount called "US Attorney!" I talked to the guys and they let me wander around and take some pictures within reason. Actually it was fun and relaxing. It was also a primer for what is to come. We are ready to start petitioning stations for airplay with regard to our thirteen episode series titled "The Fortress Experiment."

We are rushing to complete the newspaper and album and getting Don's show on TV, then it is all about the series. The series! That is where it will be for the rest of the year. We have to make this leap soon and not look back. Shane has already given me an unprompted vote for the series, it seems the logical move now.

The series takes a look at a small group of representative people from any community, and gives them a second chance at their dreams as the world of media moves from the tail end of the analogue era into the new reality for the digital age. The stories are real and compelling and can be applied to anyone in their lives. Good stuff that deserves airplay.

For a guy who was doing nothing in the world of media in 2002, this is almost pure fantasy. But it is not, and I will not squander this opportunity by fear.....

On a side note.....

I was thinking about showing some of the photos from that CBS/Paramount pilot. So give me a couple of hours and I will post a couple. They will probably be lame but I was given the "OK" on the grounds that I would be a good little boy and not disrupt or shoot anything inappropriate. I will probably show you the executive outhouse. That I can do.....

There you go. I am not going to waste our bandwith on someone else's show so you get a collage.

It is late so goodnight all!
Sue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Willis . I hope to hear your album when I come to Canada in May .
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did complete backups on the computers yesterday, necessary as we had not done that in a while. I finally got my passport so if I have to travel to the States, I can now do that......

Otherwise it is back to pushing projects along, a thankless job mostly and my job.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always come here when it is time to go to bed. We are back to pushing things along. The hardest are the projects that need outside approval to go ahead. This always brings back bad memories for me due to my minority background. I usually don't get the break here. But we have to try. One thing I do have is a plan "B" just in case. Personal experience is also why I have someone as Shane with me by my side. I took a lot of flack when I brought him on board, but the fact is most around here don't have the balls to go and do the more provocative things that we may have to do to push the agenda through, for the good of all in our society. I surround myself with young people who don't have to worry about "image" and their jobs. I need people who can push back - if need be - and use all that negative emotional energy for a real cause they can be proud of and believe in. That should answer the "why" of why I collected the people I have. I have a team ready for this job..... Sounds nefarious does it not? Not quiet, everything legal and above board; but I do know how to make things public, embarrassing and newsworthy. Hell; the book wrote was all about protests and civil disobedience.

Bottom line is that I have to take the organizations places. We reach large and to get there is no free ride. I all comes down to how far you are willing to go to get there. I have had many people talk big about things in the past but where are they now? Deeds not words.....

Pushing the usual way is boring and drudgery but necessary as just another step to show that we tried to do things the regular way. But if that does not work - then we get to have some real fun. This place may actually get interesting for all of you.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice Ali wrote:
FOF Plans "Leap" Into The World Of 3D!

By Maurice Ali, President and CEO: FOF Group

Maurice Ali

The Fortress Of Freedom Corporation is excited to announce that upgrades to the present acquisition and editing of audio and video programming in future projects will be 3D capable!

The first upgrade will be our AVID editing editor which will soon be the latest version of Media Composer which now supports 3D. Instead of the upgrade to a better HD camcorder, we will probably look to archiving our action with the new 3D systems. 3D is now shown on a single digital projector alternating left and right images at over double the rate of regular interlaced video we are used to today.

One example of a 3D video camera!

Note that our future productions can still be viewed in regular HD, but we will archive in 3D and not be left behind in the on-going tech race for entertainment. The editor is the only upgrade planned right now. We still have to get the series a home on some cable channel. But the direction is obvious and we are headed there as our equipment and computer systems are ready for upgrade and the specifics for upgrade will be 3D compatible!

No I am not losing it, it is for real! It was just four years ago when we shot our first show and HD did not exist in any capacity at our level, now it is available for 125 dollars..... 3D will be the same way and since everything here has to be replaced, we may as well make it 3D compatible. Realize this is just policy, only the editor is firmly in the process of being replaced. CTV and UNESCO are both in negotiation as I type this and with another album in production so we are at our limits right now. However we have direction now and that is where we are heading.....

Goodnight all.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back! I scaled back things this weekend as I was looking at things and figuring out that I better take things easy when we have downtime on the things we have little control of and full control of the others. In other words I could take time off and not hurt anything.

Look, I am going to take some time off now - Back in a while.....

Back. Look it was a week that we signed Willis and I got the passport and such which is not bad for one week. But I was still frustrated with progress on many things. It really started bugging me, so I turned down the intensity and just took things easy. There really are no firm dates to do things and it really is just me pushing myself. So I took it easy. Today I actually was feeling pretty good and stress free, I can control stress levels which is essential when the going really gets tough. At this stage it is all business and no creativity but that is fine with me. Look guys, it is late so off to bed I go (better sleep habits making things easier also.....).

I will add that this organization has sapped me of my unique demeanor, sarcasm and wit. But the rewards - especially seeing the ideas rub off on the kids - are worth it.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some bad news about an old friend of mine. Not really the place here for it , but I would like to think I am still a man of Honor and integrity. Anyway this man will remain anonymous here except for the fact he helped me in so many ways by showing the way..... One of many passing on in the march of time. These old soldiers taught me everything I know from strategy to politics and were the ones who turned my life around as a child and as a 40 year old. Everything I am doing here ultimately goes back to the practical education drilled into me by these cold war soldiers. From FOF to my early days as a budding political lobbyist came from those old grey White dudes, the only difference is the method of delivery of our message to the kids of today.

What a shock!

I may very well be the "last of the Mohicans" in this version of civil libertarian. Scary and saddening. But my resolve is as fierce as ever and this organization will push it's agenda forward and instill those timeless innate aspects of freedom of expression and thought into our young adults; to carry on that thin sliver of freedom Mankind has had these past few decades, and hopefully for many more years to come!

Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our little experiment could be coming to a close in as little as a week, The organizations will continue no matter what, but the questions we asked may be answered shortly. I have a more formal prelude to the grande finale but I will say this before the formal notice:

I love all of you that helped us out on our quest to see what access to the mass media was all about. This exercise meant much to me personally, and all the money, time and stress has taken it's toll on me. I have aged and in fact used up what little youth I had left to make the organization what it is and reach our goals. I have taken the organization to where I said I would.

The next is judgement day.

Goodnight!
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Act Of The Fortress Experiment Plays Itself Out!

By Maurice Ali, President and CEO:
International Association Of Independent Journalists Inc.
Fortress Of Freedom Inc.
MORE VISION Inc.
International Archiving Of Independent Journalists Inc.
MORE VISION
IAIJ

Maurice Ali and Ainsley Wronski (Editor: The Fortress) proudly
show off the IAIJ "Letters Patent!"

In the next few weeks the final act of the Fortress Experiment will play itself out for all to see! The past few weeks have been most stressful on me and for no apparent reason. However I feel the "real" reason is probably our on-coming collision with reality and possible annihilation of my always optimistic view of human nature and our institutions entrusted to uphold all that is the best of humanity.

Maurice Ali with Samantha Blackwell (IAIJ Staff) and The Fortress Newspaper!

Yes I really am that type of idealist individual. A philosopher - yes that is who I always was. I have taken the experiment as far as one person can humanly take it. In this respect the experiment was a success in that private individuals can access all aspects of the mass media by themselves. The final chapter is now how and if those large institutions will react to our request to participate in the mass media as partners. I can honestly say I do not know which direction this will take. I will, though, be brutally open and honest about what happened and put our experience out there for the whole world to see. You have my word on that. Our little experiment in freedom of thought and expression can only have real meaning if our experience is broadcast to as large an audience as humanly possible. I want my fellow citizens to see those institutions functioning at a level they can relate to and see whether those institutions are what they claim to be, or something less.....

Ainsley Wronski with our first issued diploma in journalism!

I am putting all this down before any final decisions are made as I will never by as powerful as an individual - as I am now. This is my last chance to influence things before we are forced to react. Personally this journey has been one of the great moments of my life. I am pleased to see that after all these years, I am the man I always thought I was. I have always comported myself in a thoroughly professional and businesslike way. I never took advantage of anyone at this organization and in dealing with the general public. After all this time, the issues are still altruistic and ideals are the focus. The Fortress Experiment has defined myself and my being to my rational mind and I can live with it. In these years I have met many people that became members here and showed me that in every part of our society there are people who believe in our ideals and debunk stereotypes of all forms. I would personally like to take this moment to thank all who participated, you people are the best humanity has to offer! The Experiment has been one personal success for us all!

Susan Earps visits our office in Toronto. Sue runs our office in London, England.

So it all comes down to this moment. I really did take us to the precipice of all that was said in the first television broadcast. We now have the possibility of an opening for a broadcast licence in this miserable economic climate and a chance of getting our TV shows air time. We have made contact with U.N. through The Canadian Commission For UNESCO and now awaiting a decision on membership shortly. In all areas like our request for air play for Donald Brasseur with CTV, possible partnerships or Class 2 licence, and membership with UNESCO; will all be a non-zero-sum. There will be no "sort of" or "give it a little more time;" we either get air play/membership or we do not. That is how we have always evaluated organizations from the start: did we get what we wanted or did we not. Of those three areas the broadcast licence will be the longest to resolve but I was surprised when the possibility came up suddenly with the other projects. The most gut wrenching and possibly heartbreaking part of this is the possible decline for membership with UNESCO. We need a partner in this like UNESCO. I researched the organization and believe in their ideals. I really want our organization to become a member here for too many reasons to summarize at this time. So this is the moment, the "Fat Lady" is getting ready to sing.....

I was never much for humility but this experience has taken a lot out of me and brought humility out of me with it. The cocky, arrogant person I always was is probably still there, but has now been tempered with the experience that was The Fortress Experiment. No matter what happens the organizations will continue, that much for sure. However, to grow and continue to have greater influence, we have to partner with larger broadcasters and UNESCO. All we can do now is wait and let the fates reveal that future.

To all who followed this unique journey and especially to those who participated, a very hearty "Thank You!"

Maurice Ali

A group photo at one of Sue's visits to our Toronto office. Susan Earps flanked by
Samantha Blackwell and Ainsley Wronski.

IAIJ: JOURNALISTS IN ACTION!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 416, 417, 418  Next
Page 74 of 418

Jump to: