Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
A Social Club Of One.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 378, 379, 380 ... 414, 415, 416  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the non-UN part of my trip to NeW York…..

Laguardia Airport

For the longest time LaGaurdia was this aging decrepit and falling apart airport, but now new and modern and clean!

Central Park

Central Park is where I take my walks. Strange that this park was one of the more dangerous places back in the day - now you don’t even think about it. The streets in the park are this multi-lane affairs with green for cyclists. Apart from that it’s all the same.

Apple Store

On to the iconic Apple Store by Central Park. Nothing has changed and they didn’t have the new Ultra watch to look at!

Grand Central Terminal

Grand Central Terminal is the same with those “ranger” military types on patrol. They also have an Apple Store there but I didn’t bother to go in.

30 Rock where NBC is. Back in the day they actually got a bit interested in the Fortress Experiment. Then they sent it to their production offices in California. Then their legal team in Cali told me to f**k off and if one of their shows looks like ours then too bad.

Times Square

Times Square is the same but the topless women have disappeared. I asked this women in a Miney Mouse outfit what happened to them and she thought I wanted to photograph her topless i’m the outfit - too funny! So all that fighting for the right to go topless in public and nowhere in North America will you see a topless women unless it’s some staged protest…..

New York Public Library

Finally, the New York Public Library is always the same. They have these flimsy rickety chairs you can sit in and relax. They also have these Public Washrooms behind the library with lineups. Actually you can use the bathrooms in the library but I didn’t check.

Mostly things are the same but with the loss of some companies to Covid like the airport shuttle.

In other news…..

I’ve almost set up the phones going forward. Both iTunes apps on the laptops had to be updated for media as both were recently wiped and restored. That is literally done now and the only thing left is to make sure everything works in the new phone and I’m ready for my return to normal work next Monday…..

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m adding a swivel chair on wheels to my office chair as a swivel chair on wheels is not a good idea for a 89 year old dad to be anywhere around. It is at my place already and all I have to do is attach the base - I also took the plastic pad to go over the carpet in the office.

I’m finishing up in all the Apple phone accessories and my last test is Magsafe that I have and don’t use and that is it - the phone is a keeper! So what, six days to properly set up and work all the bugs out. Day one was driving out of town to pick up the phone. I only had a chance at one in Toronto in the smallest (unusable capacity of 128gig), in a colour I don‘t like for a phone (black), and I’d have to sign up for a two year contract. Buying it out of town gave me the colour and capacity I wanted and I bought it outright unopened and 150 bucks cheaper than at the Apple store that had no 14 Pro Max anywhere.

So the phone worked out for me and it still has the sim tray I need! After the UN I had a week to myself and so upgraded and set up the cellphone and watch for at least the next few years. Even with Apple making the transfer to a new phone easy, that was just the basics, basically you have to de-bug the new phone for the next few days. I can run all my businesses off my phones, including the servers and both my primary and secondary phones have to be up to the task and secure. The iPhone 6S Plus is no longer supported so the purchase and hassle had to happen now. Most buy a new phone to be cool and such - while I need it as a tool more than anything else. I’m just glad I got it all sorted out!

I may get that Apple Ultra watch (as I’m a long time watch guy) later on, but I never buy the first generation. Trust me on that and wait.

I may go and mow the lawn now and call it a day.

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so the vacation comes to an end.

That was all that was happening at the UN that day

I’ll throw up some more photos of New York and the United Nations. Running across some photos, I was surprised to see that my event could have run till 9:00pm. It says till 6:00pm on the pass but you are good till the end. I guess with everyone back for the first time since the pandemic they figured keep it open along with the General Assembly Hall which also went till 9:00pm.

I also have some shots at the front of the UN on 1st Avenue along with shots from the UN looking down on the precession of black SUVs dropping off dignitaries.

We also had a precautionary sweep of the chambers before things started. I don’t know if this was the usual standard operating procedure or if it was me stepping out to show people where the bathrooms were and the cafeteria as I left my jacket there - nah, it can’t be me…..

Waiting for the chamber to be checked for…..

So the first part of my vacation going to the UN was a success. I’m back into all of it now. We shall see where we go from here.

The press gallery at the entrance to the United Nations. It is longer than this but this is all I could fit in the photo!

Week two of the vacation was all about updating the iPhone and retiring the old iPhone 6S Plus. I had that in use for six years so nothing to complain about with that phone! The two phones I have now match each other in style and function and that is just fine with me. Next year may have USB C which I think can break in the phone too easily or slip out and such so - meh. Next year will probably see more countries get phones with no sim tray and that is a no-go for me right now. So the second week while a royal pain in the ass to setup everything - actually went very well.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

I will say - as a watch guy - that the Apple Watch Ultra seems almost indestructible! Watching one YouTuber try to make it stop functioning was awe inspiring and funny at the same time, he kept shaking his head in disbelief at the sturdiness of the thing. Like I said, do not buy first generation electronic devices - but this watch may replace my current one or just give me two at the same time…..

Saturday had me transfer that swivel chair from my dad’s to the office. It’s still there disassembled, so I’ll take care of that for Sunday. I did cut the grass and wipe down the Mustang - love that car! I’ll just sort things out in the house for Sunday and preen myself up for my return to my usual life on Monday.

Monday is back to my usual life - two weeks was enough.

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/A72Ckh990j0
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heigh-ho. Heigh-ho. It’s off to work I go! (yes I know it’s not accurate)

And for some reason everyone wants to be a member of IAIJ all of a sudden…..

Later…..

https://youtu.be/whnn9ReUV04
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much going on - and at IAIJ of all places.

Yes I had to put my journalist “hat” on again at IAIJ as many people want to become members. Then I had to catch up on paying bills - and we are just talking about the corporate ones now.

I’ll check into the music as some of my gang are just dying to perform again.

l’Il give my iPhone 14 Pro Max a “thumbs up” to upgrade from a iPhone 12 Pro Max and older. I found the upgrade from the 12 Pro Max to be “ok” and this will actually get better when the satellite connectivity becomes available next month. A free subscription for two years is money in the bank for me! So this may not be a big deal for many, but to connect to a satellite from your cell phone is just so cool from a guy who started out with a phone in a black purse and then the ancient Motorola flip phones of the early 1990s. I remember it being so cool to use the slim battery case and carry the phone in your back pocket at the mall. Yes, I’m that old…..

A Motorola flip phone - but not with the slim battery!

I’m now planning my last play for the Global Social Contract at the UN. It need not happen now but it will happen soon. We shall see what happens at the Commission for Social Development. I wouldn’t mind one more side event to invite and test the Global Social Contract there next year. I wouldn‘t mind also giving one last oral statement on the Global Social Contract, but I may get that denied like with the Worldwide Vote. However, the direct approach to the Secretary General is the play now. Seeing him in the flesh two weeks ago makes it all real. He keeps asking for that new Global Social Contract, so I intend to give it to him. Consultative Status at the UN was created for this purpose and I will fulfill our obligations buy delivering a Global Social Contract that he repeatedly asks for! Who knows, if he isn’t crazy about the totality of the social contract there still may be parts he is interested in. Buy the play will be made (I know some of you criticize me for starting a sentence with “but” - but I got to be me)!

The Secretary General speaking!

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff is happening…..

So it looks like Elon Musk may go ahead with purchasing Twitter after all. This would be good news to me as it revives the idea of adding the new Global Social Contract at a global social platform that would be in private hands so you don’t have issues with share holders and all that. It would probably remain private under his control so he could do anything he wants.

Logistically, Facebook is better with more subscribers but that has the usual public corporation problems that - while not impossible - make it harder to implement such an idea.

We shall just have to wait and see…..

Shane was mentioning to me that I should put out an autobiography about my life and how it grew into this concept or philosophy. I would like the idea of seeing a brown face and last name like mine pushing this freedom of expression, but there are downsides. One is that if the idea is tied too intimately to a person, then the easy way to discredit the idea is to discredit the person behind the idea. “He has no qualifications, no PhD”, etc. - and then they could attack my moral character which does not invalidate the concept or philosophy, but does keep it irrelevant and not able to be tested for real. So we keep it sort of academic. I am a journalist and kept dabbling in this realm of social ideas and came up with the total philosophy after many in-depth reports. Being a journalist makes me dodge many fatal criticisms and get me through doors that would never (otherwise) open for me. That could work and we shall just see what happens…..

Yes that’s me, Maurice Ali yesterday and not retouched - not perfect…..

In the media: It was a surprise to see Steve Vai show up in a Polyphia music video six days ago. He didn’t bring his Hydra guitar but didn’t look too seedy for an old guy from my era. I always obsess over my signs of aging. Sometimes you think you are young and then see yourself in a photo as an old guy. But yesterday I took a shot in my car and the aging is there, but does not scream old - so maybe I’m not too seedy when I’m in amongst the kids that jive to my ideas…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/1JNmz17gnMw
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quickie…..

Sam wrote:
Sam wrote:
IAIJ at the 77th General Assembly at the United Nations!

By Samantha Blackwell, IAIJ Inc.

The International Association of Independent Journalists Inc. (IAIJ) is pleased to announce that we had a very productive time at the United Nations at its 77th General Assembly (September 21, 2022). Our representative was Maurice Ali who is CEO of IAIJ and he has issued this short statement on the event:

Maurice Ali CEO of IAIJ Inc.

“I am happy to announce to the Board of Directors and the general membership that IAIJ had a very successful time at the High-level meeting to mark the commemoration of the thirtieth anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration on the Rights of Persons Belonging to National or Ethnic, Religious and Linguistic Minorities. This took place at the 77th General Assembly at United Nations Headquarters in New York City.

We at IAIJ offer our thanks to everyone that made this event a most successful one!”

IAIJ: JOURNALISTS IN ACTION AROUND THE WORLD!

So we changed from “President and CEO” to CEO for the UN General Assembly. I was happy with the old nomenclature but others said if you go to an event with the most of the Presidents, Prime Ministers and other World Leaders, you go there with your highest designation which is “CEO”.

So be it, my goal at Ryerson Business School has been achieved! Not exactly as I thought it would be as I’m probably the saddest CEO, but you were there at the single biggest vortex of power and influence on earth, in there with the most powerful people on earth…..

So there is always that to offset the lack of monetary perks, plus I have way more influence to change the world than 99% of my fellow CEOs. Everything has its price…..

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If interested. I’m at IAIJ debugging our email system which is a bitch but I’m making progress. No matter what happens, the Global Social Contract will play itself out, we have just too much momentum for it not to make shore. I “will” know when it all plays out - no regrets…..

If you yearn for reading material I have a nice article on Tahiti fishermen from a new member at IAIJ Inc.:

https://iaij.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1136#1136

That has to be better than anything I post here. Anyway things are really active and I have to use my time properly. I can’t wait for the long weekend!

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/WIwn-sy7N5U
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late one today as I got groceries and then fell asleep in the morning and woke up in the afternoon to take the family out and then talked to one of our gang in music that has some health problems.

Your time gets taken up!

You do think about your life, and how all of us come into this world and leave as if our lives never meant anything. I suppose having kids and letting humanity carry on is the one solid “fall back” for most. I don’t have any so I don’t even get that! All I will get is what I created in the last 20 years or so. No guarantees and even if the concept takes off there is no guarantee it will even be ascribed to you in any way…..

But you make the play anyway because it is the only thing you have created. You are still on your own. I thought I would get to the United Nations and see many like me, but no. Actually that is not quite true - I saw one guy like me two plus weeks ago - but he was on the other side! Not exactly an enemy but part of the machine I am trying to change!

I’ll talk more about that tomorrow but one day of our long weekend is already gone.

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day two of the long weekend…..

I’ll see if I can get an upgrade to our stock email service on our servers as the present one is really getting old.

I also have to start getting the cars rust proofed and ready for winter - just like that you have to start thinking about winter.

Then there is Thanksgiving Day supper tonight.

Elon Musk and x.com. Someone seems to have all the domains taken for this website and I wonder who? If he really wants an all-in-one portal and rebrand twitter as “x” or “Twitter X” then that is just more of an opening for my ideas on a global platform!

As for finally finding people like me at the UN but on the other side - well, that was a twist I never saw happening. So I face off against others just like me? I’m still not sure about their skill set but I must assume at the start they were like me - idealistic and wanting to change the world for the better. Then the talent gets taken into the establishment - a title and decent paycheck, then marriage (which is easy if you have a title and standing in the community). Everyone is proud of you so why walk away from that? You say to yourself that changing the world is a pipe dream and I have the realities of life like a child in the way and we have to buy a house. You put your idealistic dreams aside and lead a comfortable life. Then at the height of your career you find yourself at the United Nations as part of a entourage for some politician and low and behold, there is a guy just like you with some interesting ideas to make the world a better place! He didn’t give in to the establishment and here he is with his own ideas, gets to say whatever he wants, and he is his own man and not someone tagging along on some politician’s coat tails.

The Fates

It’s not hard to see this guy - your opposite - may not be too keen to help you out! But that is the situation I find myself in. How do I get these people to help me out at the smaller events where they may make some decisions? We all started out the same and life took us in different directions. I’m sure there is an idealist in my opposite I can still bring out to help me - the only question is how?

Reality: A Macdonalds Big Breakfast in my tiny hotel room then walking all the way to the UN - but I am my own man!

How bizarre is that? That two individuals living completely different t lives and at the peak of their careers, end up at the same venues making their last plays - but mine have more impact, but look at the price I paid for that? My opposite was corrupted for decades, but I’m idealistic and “fresh as a daisy” as I started later. The knee jerk reaction is hate until they think things through and even then…..

It’s not only them but me, maybe I need to be more assertive and quickly find out what is the ending to this adventure. When I was a kid in elementary school I was younger and faster than my class and a run across the tar mac had me in front and then slowing down to let the white kid win as I wanted their acceptance. I’m still that kid but that can’t happen now - from the balls out till the end…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/74dvJVwGA6Y
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last day of the long weekend…..

I have actually been watching sci-fi movies I bought from Walmart yesterday. So last night it was DEUS with Claudia Black and early Monday it was Moonfall with Hailey Berry. Moonfall was a better movie but a box office bomb. I did like it though it got a bit sappy at times. Moonfall has the director’s commentary and that only happens when the director is proud of the movie.

Apart from that Monday is an easy going day. I have to plane a sticking door that really bothers me. After 20 years I will fix/replace/adjust the self-closing feature of the basement outside door. Maybe wash the Mustang and gas up the Enclave. I’m finally used to the new iPhone though it has a lot of bugs that Apple has to address. It is sorted out and now I have two proper phones to run things on. I may just get a new laptop but it has to have some way to play a dvd/bluray. You don’t find those anymore but some come with a second removable battery that can also house the disc drive. We shall see but this one should be a new model.

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Thanksgiving Day is over here in Canada. Like Christmas it brings family together which is more stressful than the Norman Rockwell paintings would have you believe. Anyway I don’t talk about that stuff here so let’s get on with it…..

I watched movies just to chill out but also drag racing videos on YouTube. It was my dad that introduced me to drag racing as a kid in Edmonton of all places. The top fuel dragsters, the noise and all the exhaust residue you had to pick out of your hair was an epiphany! Later at our second house by the University of Alberta was a dragster parked in front of our house. I climbed up (I was a kid) and took a look amazed at how narrow the chassis was and that ridiculous butterfly steering wheel! I was hooked ever since.

My humble little Mustang!

My dream was to own a Corvette or a couple and the advocacy took all of that money away, but when the Buick Road Master (with the LT1 Corvette motor) bit the dust, I couldn’t help myself and just bought a Mustang instead of the Hyundai Elantra I planned to get. That was a move of genius as it was the last year of the V6 and as a base car for rental fleets I bought it from Fleet Sales for almost the same cost as the Hyundai! Anyway that was a good move. If they had a base car with a V8 I would have stretched for that but no dealers in Canada were bringing in base V8s for eight grand more - they just brought in optioned up V8s at almost double the price of my car. Even now I checked a GT V8 Mustang and they wanted over 70 thousand dollars! It’s the same car as mine but with two extra cylinders and now direct injection. Same for the Mach 1 and Shelby versions - they are just variants of the base V6 model. Even the 4 cylinder they sell now was a variant of the six when they went with the new 2015 versions.

70,205.00 for a Mustang - no longer the working man’s performance car!

To make a long story short the V8s these days are crappy motors that tend to blow up in a short amount of time. I don’t know anyone that keeps their V8 past the warranty because the motors are so unreliable. But I had an idea to replace the V6 with the new Godzilla 7.3 big block truck motor Ford had for the truck line. The Mustang community laughed at me and hated the idea so much they banned me from the Mustang forums - and lo and behold, Ford is putting out a version of Godzilla for the Mustang as a drop-in unit. My vindication was hardly noticed by the Mustang community as like two weeks before they said the idea was “dead, dead, and dead”. Then Ford Performance started making the announcement of the new motor for the Mustang. Now Ford is trademarking “Megazilla” as a possible tweaked version of the Godzilla so my predictions have gone further than I ever thought.

I love my Mustang and it would be so cool to finally make conjecture into flesh and have a drag car I could still drive on the street! That - would genuinely be fun and only a V6 or 4 cylinder car would make financial sense for the swap - so there you go! You only live once and I’d like to think the ruckus I made with the idea of the Godzilla drop-in for the Mustang tickled Ford enough to look at the idea. I should carry it through one day and consummated the thing.

The motor is good for 2,000 horsepower as an all out drag car. My figures are very conservative and keeping to the specs of the platform - so 580 horsepower as the upper limit. That would be a fun car before EVs take over. I always wanted a big block and now it is available…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/6aJVWfLJ8P0
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will sound boring but the orgs need work done! The post-pandemic has arrived.

Sam with a concert contract!

If the reddish-brown-neck rant yesterday freaked some of you out. Then know that our own Samantha loves to go to Bingo Halls. I phoned her up once and she said she was playing bingo at the hall and I was like: “Come again?”. She explained that she grew up in Saskatchewan and Bingo was a thing there and she still loves it. And I grew up in Alberta: “You can take the boy out of the Prairies, but you can’t take the Prairies out of the boy” - or something like that! Anyway, deal with it…..

I still have not upgraded our email system. It just never ends! I give all aspects of the Global Social Contract two more years to play out and so we will soon know how that plays out soon.

I’ll be honest and tell you that I would not mind this lifestyle of mine to carry on forever. But it won’t and you have to play out the plays and just deal with it. And you can say rightly that I went way further than I ever fantasized - but you still go for more. But there is an end-point for all of this just like there is an end-point to my life. So make the plays and play it out before something happens to prevent that…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/MAxexYgRls0
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems with email persist but going to outlook has solved general email problems. That is now the default business email app for iPhones, so when in Rome, do as the Romans do! Now we concentrate on secure send encrypted email. General server based email upgrades have started.

Sam and me at YDS - home of FOFSTOCK 1!

FOFSTOCK 2 and beyond should start to be a yearly thing but smaller and intimate for the label. If things change and it gets large then so be it. This was actually a result of a zero base review and we keep the label and FOFSTOCK going but at a size we can financially afford to keep going in perpetuity.

Jelleestone's fans at the stage barricades at FOFSTOCK!

Night time crowd!

I never close shop on things if I can help it. So we just continue.

The Lox at our event in Niagara Falls!

It’s very busy now as we open up again - especially at IAIJ. It could be worse though…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/aw9mEFn38to

https://youtu.be/fxcvlFrZT0E
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well and well; it looks like I’m finally getting on top of things!

The weather is changing which is a metaphor for what is happening at the orgs…

There is a chill in the air, you can feel it so you no longer can deny what is coming up even though you know you still have time. I am now thinking of the end game for all our organizations. Not just the global advocacy but the music, the video and movies and TV shows, the film festival and music festival, and even what to do with the advertising company. l

When I said “zero base review” of the music side, I meant it! And I kind of know where we are headed with things. My time frame is two years but I’m not retiring from anything in two years as I don’t feel my age. There is a guy up the street from me who retired when everyone did. I would see him puttering around the house doing home reno’s so he actually planned it well. Then the perfect lawn and he would just stand there staring at life go by his house. Than a stroke - in his sixties? - and taking walks with his wife using a walker. Anyway that isn’t for me!

The heady days of getting in over your head in debt at the orgs because you had time to dig yourself out are over, but then all the heavy lifting at the orgs is done! I did it by keeping operating fixed costs down to bare minimum. The one time cost for the big stuff then stand out and you just slowly whittle away at those costs. We are now debt free at the orgs, everything is paid off. All we have to learn now is to operate within our actual budgets and keep going…..

So - for example - FOFSTOCK 2 may be held in some farmer’s field somewhere, or even some small dive in town, but the idea is just to keep going. I created these things and I don’t want them to just disappear, so there is a reality check about to happen, it just isn’t FOFSTOCK but with everything including our global advocacy. Nothing lasts forever so you make those plays while you can and you make them count!

Time is running out - and now we are “play’n for keeps”…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/zYBzU0Zm4YE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 378, 379, 380 ... 414, 415, 416  Next
Page 379 of 416

Jump to: