Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
Martha Does Haiti

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pops_fire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Martha Does Haiti Reply with quote

Martha Does Haiti

By M. Andre Moore, Journalist

I’ve been scratching my head raw over the last few days, trying to write this piece, trying to piece together just what happened in Haiti, wondering why I have Martha Stewart snared in my brain.

The second part is easy. Everywhere I look I’m slapped by images of her demise, savaged by cultural witch doctors casting spells, focus pocus with strong ju ju. But the bad fuzz in my skull isn’t there just because of bad reporting. Something really foul happened and I’m determined to find out what.

The poorest country in the western hemisphere is in trouble again as the US, France and Canada lends a hand. I’m confused as to why they need to help the embattled Caribbean nation in the 3rd place. Wasn’t Aristide democratically elected? Wasn’t he reinstalled by 20,000 American troops in 1994? Yet soon afterward he was bounced out of the palace, only to be replaced by armed drug dealers, baleful rebels and Boniface Alexandre, a reluctant president at best. Just what a country needs to build a sturdy democracy.

Meanwhile, well above the poverty line, we have something much sweeter to quench our appetite for distraction; a bona fide contemporary sorceress, the good witch of the north, Martha Stewart.

We can close one eye and argue that she was just another surfer in this latest wave of white-collar crime to be bitten by the sharks of justice. But we know better. There is nothing the chauvinistic machine hates worse than a successful woman and ripping Stewart down from her pedestal greased its gears better than smuggling Aristide into the Central African Republic ever could. Besides, after two attempts at trying to save Haiti, the American press is bored.

How did this happen? How did the most advanced civilization on globe turf the people’s choice while having us ogle the trial of a homemaking-mogul? Easy. It was magic, friends. Even when you turn the occidental map upside down, the fact remains that Port-Au-Prince is a long way from New York.

Comments And Discussion
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: