Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
A Social Club Of One.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 354, 355, 356 ... 414, 415, 416  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just finished the town hall meeting with the President of the World Bank.

Now I have to rush out and run some errands but a full recap with screen caps to show you what this thing was like as this type of engagement may be gone post-pandemic…..

It’s not what I thought it would be like the other meeting with the IMF but full disclosure later today…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised I will get into that meeting with the President of the World Bank David Malpass.

This year it’s all virtual and that means that many people from the Third World usually shut out more than others could have more participation and ask questions. So having asked my question to the Managing Director of the IMF last week, I decided to leave the questioning going forward to those who are most impacted by World Bank and it’s policies.

Sure enough Covid 19 vaccine procurement through CoVax and purchasing were top priority and some guy in Canada already double vaccinated and looking for two more shots to make travel easier isn’t a good look to be competing for questions at this venue!

So the questions began mostly from the Third World, places like Ghana and such. They also talked about climate change and poverty and education in the Third World - that type of vibe.

As you can see in the screen shots, this meeting was conducted through Zoom and not Cisco Webx like at the UN and WTO. You could ask a question ahead of time by email and during the meeting through Zoom!

The strange part this time is that the World Bank President also had an appointment with a VIP and had to leave after 30 minutes and transitioned questions to other high ranking members in attendance, but he appeared again in his limo to answer more questions enroute. So he gets points for availability even as he responded to questions in a car…..

And that was about it. My primary function was as a journalist and advocate for IAIJ, a journalist who could also step in and ask questions as a CSO which puts me in a unique position at these events. So all in all a great experience!

Then next one is next week at a round table with all the Executive Directors of the World Bank and that should also be interesting…..

Goodnight…
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday is car and home renovations day…..

I started the day by changing the oil to 0w20 full synthetic as the heads run quieter during startup as the temperature goes down. The battery gives me no problems but at over four years I may do the pre-emotive strike and replace it for the winter. The tires still have tread but I may replace them with all-seasons that are better in the snow.

The rails at my dads place are up and solid as a rock with that new stud locator that actually works. I’ll finish up mounting the rest of the hardware tonight and then it’s just staining and sealing.

Captain Kirk goes up into space: My 88 year old dad was interested in this! Yes 90 year old William Shatner blasted off into space and came back alive. I figured they would have to carry him out of the capsule but no - the dude was spry after the flight - impressive and also his comments afterward. He’s another “Dorian Grey” guy with no dementia or Alzheimer’s going on.

Wednesday is not over but already it’s a productive day…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/q-GcQYJWJnQ
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really late one today but a very productive day…..

I stained the railings at my dad’s house and then I bought a new battery for the Mustang and replaced it. I’ll spend one moment for some of you who may run into a problem I had.

The battery is under the wiper blade on the passenger side of the car!

It turns out the Mustang (being a sports car) puts the battery up near the windshield in this plastic tub that is barely larger than the battery. Then the tub is covered by this rubber cover. So you remove the cover by removing these rinky-dink plastic expanding screws and then remove the terminals and remove the battery hold-down wedge. That battery weighs like 59 pounds and there is no strap to pull it out of there! Common problem but I got a thin worn out belt that could slid into the slots where the straps should have been and lift it out that way. You then leave it like that until the new battery is in there and keep the belt as a strap to get it back to the store for you core charge return. Just go with your a belt and when you plop the battery on the counter you remove the belt and put it on your jeans (in other words you go there without a belt holding up your pants) - done!

I was on a roll, so I mowed the front yard as it was going to rain from Friday to Sunday. Then I tried for the quadruple play and went to replace the wipers with winter blades I got for free with the oil change - and would you know it - it had every connector except for the one I needed! I should have known better; but other than that the day was productive.

Friday has me sealing up the stained wood and cruising through the weekend.

Goodnight….

https://youtu.be/Z4-mNvfNDp8
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday was just chilling.

I got a email survey from IMF Connect about the AGM. I Found it funny that it officially ends on Sunday but we get the survey on Thursday. Oh, and Prince Charles took part in another session on climate change. Like I said a few months ago, you can get access to royalty through their personal advocacy and if they jive to your ideas that will only help you going forward. Lots of royalty in intergovernmental advocacy…..

Anyway I still have that round table on Tuesday with the Board of Directors of the World Bank and then it ends for me. So the WTO, the IMF and the World Bank in less than the few weeks!

What else?

I thought the wiper blade fiasco was user error on my part - but no - the adapters were not included for my car so the free wiper blades were a bust and I got rid of them.

I flashed Ubuntu Touch to the internal memory of my iPhone and made that the default OS. Then I flashed the dedicated official OS (Manjero ARM Plasma Mkbile) to an SD card and threw that in there. With that done the phone is now completely set up! I should also tell you that Pine64 is coming out with the Pinephone Pro model hopefully next spring. It will look the same but with better hardware, more ram, better cameras and a bump in internal storage from 32gig to 128gig. That should happen next spring but realistically figure a year to upgrade and will cost 399USD.

This was probably planned as getting a community together with an expensive phone is daunting but easy if the phone is cheap. So with things humming along with the cheaper phones, you now upgrade to a premium phone with most of the OS code already written - smart strategy…..

For Saturday I pay some bills and preen myself up for Monday.

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the local mall (Fairview Mall) it sure looks like they are setting up for some concert!

Just a sign of the times and the first decent live event I’ve seen taking place in two years - two years…..

Actually this is what I was talking about but I pulled back so I’m a bit interested in what happens here. I checked and it’s happening in a few hours:

Measha’s Gospel Brunch - Measha Brueggergosman Canada’s most beloved soprano, joins Luminato:

“Measha Brueggergosman, Canada’s most beloved soprano, joins Luminato for Measha’s Gospel Brunch, a Sunday morning gospel concert held in the parking lot closest to entrance 5 (by TD) at CF Fairview Mall that will lift your spirits and revive your soul.

Drawing from her personal journey of discovery into her roots as a fifth-generation descendant of emancipated enslaved people, Measha Brueggergosman brings to life gospel music’s hymns of freedom, resilience, and celebration of spirit.

Measha will be joined by Aaron Davis (keyboards), Rob Piltch (guitar), George Koller (bass), John Johnson (winds), and special guests Divine Brown, Dr. Draw, and Mike Schram.

Measha’s Gospel Brunch promises to bring us all together in joy, community, and great vibes through the power of your favourite gospel songs.”

So there you go, one of the first real concerts post pandemic. Congrats to the folks who had the balls to put this together at this time as they have more balls than me! But things are happening at FOF. LUCIFARI is making music along with Shane. The Brawlers is getting ready to make their first music video. So maybe - maybe - FOFSTOCK 2 could become a reality…..

In other news…..

After the concert I’ll start rust proofing the car. It just passed 6 months without leaking any rad fluid on the ground. So right now I really haven’t had any problems with the car in over four years that required warrantee work. That makes it the most reliable car I have ever owned. My thanks to the people at Flat Fock Ford for making this fine automobile!

Back to the usual for Monday, I got things done this week and can’t complain…..

Later…..

https://youtu.be/0U1SE-zJT_I
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out more about that concert at Fairview Mall.

First is that it was a not-for-profit corporation that has federal, provincial and municipal sponsorship. Second is that it was not an in-person concert but a drive-in and live stream concert with on-demand later that night after 7:00pm. Tickets were sold per car but I figure there was no more than a hundred cars there at most. You could listen to it with the windows down or by listening to a certain FM station.

So what is it?

I was there before the concert and during and afterward but not the whole event. Major money was involved as even the cameras were broadcast mated to 200,000 dollar box lens rigs for like football games. So practically the state was funding the project and with an ”safe” headliner for the concert. These events are good psychologically for the public as it means we are getting back to normal, but there is no way a small outfit like mine could do this.

The coolest thing though was that the whole stage was a tractor trailer that unfolds into this large stage. Totally portable and no building permit was required as far as I could tell! Hum, I’ll have to look into this in terms of cost. So that was the cool thing I did that day…..

In other news…..

I re-stained the rails at my dad’s place to a darker brown to fit in with the existing railing. Then in a week I seal it in with hard finish and it’s done.

I’m taking stock of my whole life and come up with an exit strategy into retirement. Many years away but you are forced into this when everyone you know is already doing this or have done this already. You can’t start over, your destiny is laid out even though you still have plays to make. The other possibilities have their bridges burned. In a way the lack of possibilities in the future is fatalistically satisfying in a way but my future is still with some possibilities. No possibilities except one means you can plan with certainty and know exactly what the future is. For me you have to keep some options open because you are still a player so you still have this nervousness of a sort of open future which still connects you to the kids. Without that relevancy and open future the two of you would be invisible to each other.

So that is the bizarre side to the life I lead. It keeps you young and if you had no friends or family you would be totally with the kids and pushing to make things better for them. In this realm you will last longer than those in line
positions who eventually retire - but you have more time. But I have responsibilities and more and more it’s a balancing act to do everything. You can still do everything but it’s not as single minded as it was like ten years ago…..

Tomorrow is the round table with the Directors of the World Bank Group.

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/i91Q7f23A1c
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The World Bank / IMF Annual General Meetings are over and I said my goodbyes and even took the survey. A more complete recap of the round table zoom meeting later, but for now I have to rush off and catch up on other things.

Later….
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The round table was a 90 minute zoom meeting between civil society organizations and the Directors of the World Bank.

This was something new due to the pandemic and many directors noted they had never been in such an event before. This just underscores my formal question to the IMF that such interaction be continued or expanded going forward. The question was not acknowledged or answered (but I’m sure they got it!) as many others but it was submitted formally by email.

Understand that while meetings in Washington are not expensive to me they are to others. For example the next AGM is in Morocco which is expensive for me and prohibitive to others. The zoom call opens up such forums to all CSOs and not just the wealthy few. We shall see what happens but I did my part!

As for the meeting they handled many issues such as financing for Covid 19 vaccines in the third world. Reprisals for CSO whistleblowers. Ensuring World Bank money goes to where it is intended and so on. Quite frankly the meeting was very productive for a global round table!

And IAIJ’s reason for being there was more than validated with the our ability to bring issues of importance because of our unlimited scope of interest and then the important issue of transperancy. So all in all this year’s AGM was most productive given the internet tools used because of the pandemic. We shall see how things go forward with regard to future AGMs.

At home in the FOF world, my attention turns to the post advocacy role of our media corporations. My gang wants them to continue and thrive and that means making money and paying bills. This will be hard going forward but that is reality. I’m not paying to keep this going into retirement, they have to survive on their own. The lucky part is that fixed costs are very low so they don’t go bankrupt or go out of business, they just go dormant until they can find projects. That much I have given my gang going forward……

The Fates

Aside from that life is getting ready for winter. The annual rustproofing of the car needs to be done. I had thought about more snow friendly tires but due to shortages that has been decided for me. I keep getting older and you see it here and there. The Fates may have given me an extra seven years to get things done but you are still aging. That Global Social Contract is now the priority and firstly at the UN where the Secretary General publicly acknowledged he wanted a Global Social Contract and I intend to give it to him! I will try my best to make 8 billion lives happier based on the Positive Mandate for Humanity. BTW: Stepping back - this is just so cool to see develop! We will start with the usual way and if we get shut out I take a more direct approach. This “is” new and interesting stuff - now! You are now in a different realm and truly messing with the machine. One way or another it will play itself out the way the mythical Fates envision. After this is all said and done, life will get boring or maybe things will just keep developing.

Wife, marriage and family life is a full life. What I am doing falls outside of all that and you can’t have both, you can’t have it all…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/G7b-_YcACuQ
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal has contacted me - only to propose a dismissal:

Their first contention makes no sense as it’s age discrimination. I could resubmit and fight that. Vaccinations were made as per age and my age got inferior treatment.

The second one has more problems. They don’t say I do not have a case, but that it probably won’t work and they offer up what seems to be some precedents. Buy “jurisdiction” I don’t think they mean federal/provincial but maybe that I would have to take the case to to the courts instead. A court could rule on provincial actions and policy/laws made during the pandemic.

The problem with a court case is the expense of getting a lawyer, then possibly losing and paying court and legal fees. This I won’t do as I’m asking for only four thousand dollars. Small claims opens the door for a charter application, but I never get anywhere with those and I’ve done three so far. However, it’s not looking good at this point. I will keep looking at it but the jurisdiction thing is the problem. The tribunal doesn’t want to bite the hand that feeds them and wants me to just leave and go somewhere else. That’s the long and short of it as I see it now…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/s5_kqijQHv4
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late one today as I was varnishing those handrails at my dad’s place.

However I also came a cross some buckets of stiff of mine from the 1980s! I’ll lock though it and see if there is anything salvageable on the answering message tapes and so on. I may as well get them digitized as the tapes become brittle and unplayable. Same with Polaroid photos. They get dark with time and delaminate around the edges. So that’s where I’m at now…..

Later…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well another update - better late than never…..

I keep thinking just how razor thin opportunities are in life. If you are in your late 20s or early thirties, realize that I started and conceived of fortress and the experiment just 10 years into the future and I’m still scrambling to get the last ideas out there right now!.

Your life and the time you have left are not static. Time relative speeds past faster as you get older and your metabolism gets slower. If you are in you are in your 20s give yourself 30 years of life left at the present rate. 30s - then figure 18 years at your present rate. Yes - things close up on you rapidly!

You think you have time for things, plenty off time to start over and live another life. But I can tell you that opportunities close up on you faster than you think. Wait a bit and save some money before having kids, and an easy pregnancy in your 20s becomes an almost impossible feat in your 40s. Take time off climbing that corporate ladder and you come back to see that the ladder snapped in half and only middle management for you now - at best.

Life is a cheat…..

If you could do it again most say that they would be more dynamic and daring in ambitions and more forthright in the romance department. But that is from the elderly, the kids today are just like us, they think time is at a standstill. I’m just saying that I’m not as old as you think. Poof and there goes your youth!

All this makes more sense when you live it in person - but then it’s too late! You then see how fortunate I am in having all this happen as it did. The Global Social Contract book just came out this past May and I’m closing in on retirement. How did that happen so fast? And at my age and situation you have few alternatives left to play out. For me it’s get the Global Social Contract out there and keep at it for as long as you can. Will the UN allow me to even talk out something they desperately and openly want and ask for? The Fates gave me the time to make the plays but I can’t force people to embrace a good thing when they see it…..

Nevertheless - I will try my best to make the play at my end…..

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the 60th Session of the Commission for Social Development will be held virtually next February. This opens up sessions to those who could not attend before due to cost or obligations especially in poorer nations, and so unless something unforeseen happens I’m predisposed to sit this year out with regard to a side-event. That’s just my instinctive gut feeling so don’t hold me to this if circumstances change.

United Nations Headquarters

That being the case, an oral statement is probably also off the table too. So the only thing left do for our advocacy is to submit a written statement as it relates to this year’s theme. Unlike the oral statement which is basically limited to 350 words, we can fully-flesh out ideas to 1400 words for a written statement. So this is what we will do and we have already started work on the statement. We at IAIJ will also have to issue statements of thanks to the WTO and World Bank/IMF for their successful events and that will happen this week.

That was on the advocacy side, but personally I was productive this weekend finishing the indoor rails and refinishing the outdoor rails before it gets too cold. I also sorted through old paperwork that had to be done. I also bought some more DVDs and watched some DVDs. The usual for a weekend for me.

Not being able to go to New York as usual in February is a drag, but it is what it is. Everyone on earth has had their lives changed in various degrees by the pandemic so I’m not alone. Time is running out on me as it is for many and you just have to take reality as it is and do what you can. So the written statements have to be in by November 5 and we intend to do that. Oral or written statements are the only ways of officially addressing the Commission for Social Development (by UN Resolution 1996/31) so that task we have now is important. Things are moving forward despite the pandemic…..

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly the written statement is going well…..

Oral statements are like 350 words which is too short to introduce a new Global Social Contract, so it is the written statement at 1400 words that will have to do. Optics and personal narcissism will just have to step aside for practicality and strategy at this moment. So even though the pandemic still has restrictions on all of us, strangely I can still function and push our advocacy! I already have a rough draft prepared and we just go from there…..

This Global Social Contract is the culmination of my life’s work, my life experience and up-bringing and education. To starting the organizations and the experiment. To the main ideas of the Positive Mandate for Humanity and Worldwide Vote and introducing them at the United Nations. And now this new Global Social Contract that introduces a new form of individual identity. It may also involve structural changes at the UN if the idea becomes popular.

The Fates

I allow my visionary fantasy to come out now as I am keenly aware of how difficult it would be to get anywhere with any of this. But I have the ideas and access to the venues that matter and so I will act without hesitation and put the concept out there! At the very least, people in the future will see that there were visionaries at this moment in time that tried to make things better for all! And it all happens before the end of next week…..

How do I feel at this moment? I feel relief if you can believe that! Anyway that is your update.

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another day.

I keep at the written statement. I may reply to the human rights tribunal just to see what happens there. Fixing up my dads car which means replacing some bulbs. With elderly people they just let things go until they stop working and they just try to live without it. So you are constantly fixing and replacing stuff that breaks or stops working. They will keep cable contracts going are now a rip-off with more speed and data for the same price. All old folk go this way and you just have to manage and make sure they don’t get ripped off. Some old folks have their furnaces inspected many times a year just to have people I’m the house. Covid nixed that for awhile but I see this extraneous stuff making a return.

Anyway, that my update for today.

Goodnight…..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 354, 355, 356 ... 414, 415, 416  Next
Page 355 of 416

Jump to: