Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
A Social Club Of One.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 417, 418, 419  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of the coder and the Boom.....it was a wasted day. I will still clean up around the house and all - but still very little done. I am gearing up for my busy holidays just like when I was in training. I will taper off on the food and rest up. I would have been nice to snuggle up with someone at night for a change, but that is a complication I don't need right now.....funny how you remember those things.....

I expect fate to make the TV show very hard in some way so I am preparing for that. Don't let my bravado make you think otherwise, TV production is new to me and I am nervous about what may happen. But I did not come this far to fail..... Much expense, insecurity, hassle and doubt with some reward as the carrot somewhere out there..... For a moment I thought how wonderful it would be just to go to work and think about nothing else.....but I would just be incredibly bored so here we go.

Later.....
Sue

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you Maurice and the guys with your TV show and cds - you deserve every success you have worked so hard to achieve
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slept all last night.....probably good for me.....

Quick updates:

Coder for DVD has been purchased and wait for delivery.

UPC code is expensive at about a grand and seven hun thereafter on an annual basis. We will go with the manufacturer's code to start and go to personal prefix if we get "attitude" from the retail establishments. No hesitation here but I have to go it as cheaply as possible just to see how cheaply it can be done.....but we will not hesitate to do what is necessary to enter the mass media market.

The Manfrotto boom can also be used for a sound boom for TV which is a plus.

Next week may be one of the hardest weeks of my life; thanks to all who keep tabs on my little personal journey, especially the women who seem to be the majority here. I edited this out in an earlier post but what the hell, I love all of you gals! I figured I would say the words because I mean it.....even if it is not very business like. That is your internet hug..... "I" needed that.....lots of stress and uncertainty.....more rambling later.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More decisions.....

The edited version of the show is the one I will present and have converted - if need be - to Betacam. That way I can use it anywhere and not worry about "safe harbor". Getting the show on the air is the priority now and I am regretting the tough stance and boldness of some of my statements. I actually had to remind myself of why we did the show in the first place and why direction and goals were never an issue. This business if truly corrupting and if a guy like me can feel the urge.....what about the weaker? No matter.....that show is the show and goes on as is..... I will just have to get it on the air and live with what it is - which is a great message. For those of you who can not see the show - I will post some audio clips that you can hear and maybe one really small video - that is if I don't fall asleep.....

I will prepare for the worse and have a list of stations to lobby for time. I have to get this thing into the mass media.

I also have to select a default production house to do the processing if need be - right now the only one I know is Harvest Moon - so they are the company right now.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised.....some audio and video clips of very small size.

Here is one of me being interivewed by Dan (133k):

http://fortressoffreedom.com/MauriceInt1.wma

Here is where I really made things difficult for myself. I should have just said my goal was to make money and drive fast cars and "hump" good looking women (that would make it on the air.....).....me and my big fat mouth!

Here is one where I describe what I don't want to see in ten years (but is a nice thought.....) (126k):

http://fortressoffreedom.com/MauriceInt2.wma

Here is my speech to the world where I really make things difficult to sell to a station.....but the spirit and ideas behind the speech are gold..... (136)k:

http://fortressoffreedom.com/MauriceInt3.wma

Here is the smallest video file I could make (800k) You can see me talk and move.....for serious Maurice fans only (pity I could not give you more, like me saying it in the nude.....but this is all there is..... Laughing ).

http://fortressoffreedom.com/MauriceInt4.wmv

And there you have it. Some snipppits of me rambling about the show. Of course there are all the other people..... However, they are not the ones typing this post. I will probably delete these clips in a few days. Anyway, I have to get some sleep. Nighty night.....

Maurice
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBC Toronto
205 Wellington Street West
Toronto, Ont.
M5V 3G7

TEL: (416) 205-3311

City TV

To advertise on any of these stations, please contact the Sales Division in your area, or contact us at : sales@citytv.com

National Sales
TORONTO
CHUM Television Sales & Marketing
299 Queen Street West,
Toronto, Ontario M5V 2Z5
Phone (general): 416-591-7400
Automated Line: 416-591-8900
Fax: 416-591-3562 and 416-591-7470

CTV Television Network

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 9, Station 'O,' Scarborough
Ontario, Canada M4A2M9

Courier Address:

9 Channel Nine Court,
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada M1S4B5

Telephone: (416) 332-5000

The New VR Sales Department
33 Beacon Rd, Barrie ON
L4M 4T9
Toll Free Phone: 1-800-461-5820
Phone: (705) 734-3300
Fax Sales: (705) 733-2387
e-mail: vrsalesdesk@thenewvr.com

Contact OMNI.1 & OMNI.2
Please use any of the contact methods below to send feedback to OMNI.1 (CFMT) & OMNI.2.

email: info@omni1.ca
phone: (416) 260-0047
Both OMNI.1 & OMNI.2:
toll free: 1 (888) 260-0047
fax: (416) 260-3621

OMNI.1 & OMNI.2 are located at:
545 Lake Shore Blvd. West
Toronto, Ontario
M5V 1A3

email: info@omni2.ca
phone: (416) 260-0060

TV ONTARIO

Street:
TVOntario
2180 Yonge Street
Toronto , Ontario
Canada M4S 2B9

Telephone:
Audience Relations
1.800.INFO.TVO

Main Switchboard

Global TV

Global TV Ontario: 81 Barber Greene Road
Toronto, ON M3C 2A2
Tel: (416) 446-5311
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am better than I thought.....

Things have become much clearer in my mind as of late. Listening to the show has activated those seeds I placed in the program to prevent the organization from going off track. Emily asked me once what the disucssion in the park was all about.....I told her it was filler - but that was not the whole truth. That segment was my pich to the CRTC and broadcasters about our intentions and resolve about what we advocate; it was also myself speaking to myself when we started to fall under the corupting influence of "Hollywood North.....". It worked and I am now on track and know what I have to do. We will use the edited version of the show and gain access to the airwaves by telling it to broadcasters as it is. I already know how to sell the organization now. The only thing to do is to make it into the offices to make that pitch. "I" don't matter, and none of our artists matter in the end.....only the message and philosophy of free speech and thought which resides in all.....

P.S. Don't let the above frighten our newcomers.....this is really a tame organization; but I have to thump the old chest every now and again..... Wink
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHEX Television

Sales

For more information about the Advertiser's Directory contact the CHOUX Television Sales Department at:
(705) 742-0451 or email sales@chextv.com.

Dave McCutcheon holds the position of General Sales Manager.

Dave McCutcheon – Retail Sales Manager
Phone: (705) 742-0451 ext. 231
Fax: (705) 742-7274
Email: dmccutcheon@chextv.com

ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS

Rogers Broadcasting 416-935-8200
Rogers Media 416-764-2000

855 York Mills Road
Toronto, Ontario
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of crumby little things.....call it bad luck seem to be happening to me lately in the last few days that seem out of my control for the most part. Since I am inclined to believe in a balance of everything like energy matter, etc. in all reactions - you could say that happiness and luck.....fate would seem to be even handed. So though these arrows are bothersome.....they may point of a success at something else that is mostly out of our control. A good omen.....or just happenstance?

Anyway, I have to focus. I know I am not going to live forever and opportunities come and then they are gone forever. Time for some sleep.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://fortressoffreedom.com/InfomercialProgram.pdf

September 20th, 2004
Mr. Marc O’Sullivan
Executive Director,
Broadcasting
CRTC
1, Promenade du Portage
Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0N2
RE: Matters related to the interpretations of regulations pertaining to
Advertising Restrictions
Dear Mr. O’Sullivan:
The Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) – the national voice of
Canada’s private broadcasters, representing the vast majority of Canadian
programming services, including private conventional television, networks and
specialty television services is pleased to provide its comments concerning the
above-noted matter.
This letter follows two consultations that have taken place between the CAB, a
number of our specialty and conventional television members and Commission
staff on March 9 and April 22, concerning matters related to the interpretation of
how advertising content is defined by the Commission in certain programs. First
and foremost, we wish to thank you and your staff for meeting with us to discuss
this important matter. As agreed, this letter is being filed as a follow-up to those
discussions in an attempt to resolve issues related to the definition of advertising
material in certain programs.
Background
Over the past year or so, many CAB conventional and specialty television
members have been advised by Commission staff that certain programs they air or
plan to air have been deemed to be infomercials or “promotional”, and have
therefore, been denied Canadian content certification numbers (C-numbers). In
some cases, C-numbers have been revoked after programs have aired. In other
- 2 -
cases, portions of certain programs were deemed to constitute “advertising material”, as defined
under the Television Regulations, 1987 and Specialty Television Regulations, 1990. While
portions of such programs retained Canadian content certification, other portions were deemed to
be advertising material that exceeded regulatory limits.
In many instances, this has resulted in compliance issues when such matters have been brought
to our members’ attention after the programs in question have been on the air for some time.
Many programs have had to be taken off the air, either temporarily or permanently, to avoid
compliance concerns in relation to Canadian content levels and allowable advertising minutes
per hour.
It is important to state at the outset that our members have worked with Commission staff in
good faith in order to ensure that they are complying with Commission rules. In fact, for many
months, our members and the producers who have created these programs, many of whom are
small independent producers, have been involved in lengthy consultations with Commission staff
in an attempt to address discrepancies and apparent compliance issues in order to get programs
back on the air and/or obtain Canadian content certification numbers. In certain cases, progress
has been made. However, despite good intentions on the part of everyone, we believe that the
evaluation of programming content and advertising material is made difficult by the current
interpretation of guidelines set out in Circular No. 350.
In addressing the relevance of the Circular today, we believe it is important to highlight not only
the changes that have occurred since the Circular was issued, but also the context in which the
guidelines were themselves initially formulated. Circular 350 was written in 1988, at a time
when the broadcast universe consisted of fewer than 30 channels, long before the introduction of
a multitude of other channels and niche programming genres, or the advent of new technologies
such as digital distribution, the Internet and personal video recorders, and consequently the
increased use of other revenue-generating opportunities such as sponsorship and product
placement. In fact, at the time, the Circular had been drafted to distinguish infomercial-like
advertising content from programming content.
The Canadian broadcasting system and the Canadian production sector, including program
funding, have undergone tremendous change since the Circular was drafted sixteen years ago.
Consequently, we believe the interpretation of these guidelines should better reflect today’s
broadcast environment.
“How-To” Programming
Consumer habits, tastes and expectations in programming have changed significantly. With so
many channels available, demand for lifestyle or information-based programming has increased
significantly.
However, the categorization of lifestyle, information-based or “how-to” programming is made
difficult by its inherent blend of information and entertainment. Traditional programming in this
genre has focused on consumer lifestyles (e.g. cooking, fashion, home renovation, travel or
leisure sports). The information elements of “how-to” programming often contain descriptions
- 3 -
of products and services, including how to use them or where to buy them. In many instances,
the products themselves may be used by the program hosts or participants. More importantly,
viewers to this type of programming have vastly different expectations regarding the nature of
programming content. They not only expect, but in fact demand, the supply of detailed
information about various products and services available in the marketplace.
Interestingly enough, the popularity of the genre has also more recently prompted the emergence
of programming that incorporates a much greater degree of entertainment. The basic “how-to”
concept has evolved to develop programs that are geared more towards challenges, competitions
or transformation reveals. In truth, they closely resemble game shows or reality TV programs in
terms of their competitive nature. While viewers still receive basic “how-to” information, the
focus of the program is on the competition or challenge involved. In doing so, a much greater
emphasis is placed on the entertainment factor developed through the storyline and script, as well
as the hosts and participants in the program.
Canadian Program Production
Sponsorships, product placements and commercial tie-ins have become important sources of
revenue for Canadian programming producers - especially small independent producers. In our
view, these revenue-generating opportunities should not be prohibited, as long as the focus of the
programming content in question is clearly to inform and/or entertain. Within these parameters,
Canadian producers can develop entertaining and informative programs, while not otherwise
raising concerns about commercial content.
The Commission has already explored issues related to product placement and non-traditional
advertising, within the context of the group licence renewals of CTV and Global. Following an
extensive public hearing process in April 2000, with comments provided by viewers, producers,
advertisers and broadcasters, the Commission determined that it would postpone making any
determinations concerning product placement until such time as a thorough review of advertising
was undertaken at a later date.
It is also important to note that the producers who create these programs include small
independent producers who rely on additional sources of revenue, such as sponsorship, to fund
their programs. When programs are taken off the air, not only do producers incur revenue losses
that result from not being broadcast – their entire businesses are at risk because they have no
other way of funding their programs.
Aside from reasons based on the foreign programming that is being broadcast into Canada, we
also believe that a revised interpretative approach would be entirely consistent with Subsection
3(s) of the Broadcasting Act:
Private networks and programming undertakings should, to an extent consistent with the
financial and other resources available to them,
(i) contribute significantly to the creation and presentation of Canadian programming;
and
- 4 -
(ii) be responsive to the evolving demands of the public. (Emphasis added.)
Although we recognize the importance of appropriately distinguishing between programming
and commercial messages, we also believe it is significantly more important that any
interpretation by the Commission reflect the current realities of the Canadian broadcasting
system and the demands and tastes of viewers.
Recommended approach
We are pleased to provide Commission staff with recommendations that we believe might help
our members, content producers and the Commission in reducing the apparent interpretation
difficulties regarding programming and advertising content. Circular 350 was established in
response to concerns about infomercial content, and the purported infringement of regulatory
restrictions on advertising. In the first instance, parts of a program contained elements that
directly served to sell or promote goods or services. In the latter, the issue was not explicit
commercial messages, but rather the implicit relationship between certain programming content
and the goods or services advertised during commercial breaks.
As a result, we believe there are two issues in question: 1) what constitutes an infomercial; and
2) what constitutes advertising material within a program when it is presented outside
commercial breaks. We will address each of these issues separately.
How Infomercials are Defined
Although Circular 350 touched on infomercials, the issue was later discussed in much greater
detail through a Commission policy on infomercials (Public Notice CRTC 1994-139). The
Commission’s policy is now established, and we believe the Canadian television viewer is well
aware of the differences between infomercials and traditional programming content.
In accordance with Public Notice 1994-139, an “infomercial” is now defined as:
programming exceeding 12 minutes in length that combines entertainment or
information with the sale or promotion of goods or services into a virtually
indistinguishable whole. [Emphasis added.]
The policy also included criteria which required the use of production elements to assist the
viewer in recognizing the commercial nature of infomercials:
a) each production broadcast must be preceded and concluded with a clear and prominent
written and oral announcement that the programming constitutes paid commercial
programming; and
b) a clear and prominent written announcement must also be made prior to each ordering
opportunity indicating that the programming the viewer is watching constitutes paid
commercial programming.
- 5 -
In a subsequent public notice (Public Notice CRTC 1995-93), the Commission also defined an
“ordering opportunity” as:
a direct solicitation, made by an on-screen host through a voice-over, that provides
information on how to purchase the product or service being advertised. (The display of
either a 1-800 phone number or a company name or address by itself does not constitute
an ordering opportunity.)
Reviewing the infomercial criteria, we believe the Commission clearly focused on the need to
avoid viewer confusion. The Commission wanted viewers to be able to easily distinguish
infomercials from regular programming.1 In our view, with the infomercial criteria developed by
the Commission, Canadian television viewers can easily make that distinction.
The combination of entertainment/information and sales/promotion of goods and services into a
virtually indistinguishable whole suggests that infomercials make no distinction between
programming and commercial sales. The primary purpose, in fact the sole purpose, of
infomercials is to sell or promote goods or services – any information or entertainment
components are ancillary. That is why, during infomercials, viewers are made aware, through
written and oral announcements at the beginning and end of the program, as well as prior to each
ordering opportunity, that they are watching paid commercial programming.
In our view, there is a clear and unmistakable distinction between infomercials and programs that
contain product placements and commercial tie-ins. For example, unlike infomercials, the
primary purpose of “how-to” programming is to entertain and inform. There are also no ordering
opportunities to buy products or services. The programs are formatted very differently from
infomercials. They are usually series-based, and often structured around a theme or concept.
They often garner significant ratings, and their hosts are often marketable television stars (e.g.
Lynda Reeves and Debbie Travis on HGTV Canada).
As noted above, the most recent development in “how-to” programming has been the emergence
of competitions, contests or transformations. These programs, although incorporating “how-to”
elements provide greater entertainment value. In doing so, they resemble reality programs like
“Survivor” or “The Apprentice” more than they do the traditional “how-to” programs. It is the
storyline involved in the competitions, contests or transformations that draws viewers back each
week to see how contestants are doing and, ultimately, who will win.
Since its inception, we believe the Commission’s infomercial policy has been clear, and has set
out specific criteria that have been consistently applied. Canadian television viewers have
become accustomed to infomercials that are typically formatted in a way that must be consistent
with Commission policy criteria. As a result, we believe programs should not be deemed to be
infomercials, unless they meet the applicable criteria from the Commission’s policy:
1 Thus, for example, the Commission also insisted that the criteria for the identification of infomercials also apply to
commercial messages exceeding two minutes in length.
- 6 -
(i) the programming must exceed 12 minutes in length;
(ii) the primary purpose of the program must be the sale or promotion of goods;
(iii) the program combines entertainment or information with the sale or promotion of
goods or services into a virtually indistinguishable whole;
(iv) the program constitutes paid programming; and
(v) the program includes ordering opportunities to purchase products or services.
What Constitutes Advertising Within a Program
The emergence of information-based programming and reality television is not new. However,
as evidenced by ratings, programs in these genres have grown significantly in popularity with
Canadian audiences over the past few years, and will only continue to soar as consumer appetite
continues to grow for alternative types of programming. With the growing popularity of reality
and information-based programming, Canadian television viewers have become accustomed to
sponsorships, product placements and commercial tie-ins in all genres of programming.
These programs make significant contributions to the Canadian production sector, creating jobs
for Canadians and providing compelling programming for Canadian audiences. The production
efforts for these programs are entirely consistent with the attainment of the objectives of the
Broadcasting Act. In our view, it is imperative that Canadian producers and broadcasters be
allowed to create homegrown versions of these programs that can be counted towards meeting
Canadian content requirements, without being penalized because of perceived regulatory
concerns regarding sponsorships, product placements or commercial tie-ins. It is our hope that
this process will allow us to agree that such programming should qualify as Canadian content.
Both the Television Regulations, 1987 and Specialty Television Regulations, 1990 include
specific definitions for commercial advertising content:
“Advertising material” means any commercial message and programming that promotes
a station, network or program, but does not include….(station identifications, Canadian
program promos, etc.)
“Commercial message” means an advertisement intended to sell or promote goods,
services, natural resources or activities and includes an advertisement that mentions or
displays in a list of prizes the name of the person selling or promoting these goods,
services, natural resources or activities.
Circular 350 provides guidelines and criteria to use in determining the commercial content of a
program. In our view, many of these interpretative guidelines conflict with today’s
programming reality, and should be re-examined and re-evaluated with such a different context.
- 7 -
a) Intention to sell or promote
In Circular 350, the Commission notes that the intention to sell or promote is an integral part of
the definition for a “commercial message”. However, it then also provides a few examples of
what could be deemed an intention to sell or promote.
In programming where there is an explicit advertising message, for example, a company
logo or an image of a product for sale, this intention is self-evident. An intention to sell
or promote, however, is also present in programming with no explicit messages but with
indirect or implicit advertising outside of the recognizable commercial breaks.
We disagree that the mere presence of company logos or images of products constitutes a
commercial message. In recent years, we have seen an explosion of sponsorships and product
placements in all types of programming.
Due to a variety of factors that are well known to the Commission, including unprecedented
fragmentation, program funding gaps and the use of ad-blocking technologies like PVRs,
program producers are turning to alternative ways to fund their programs. Sponsorships, product
placement and commercial tie-ins have become important sources of revenue to fill some of that
gap.
Coupled with the growing popularity of information-based programming and reality TV, we find
ourselves in an environment where more and more foreign programming comes into Canada
with commercial tie-ins already embedded in the programming content. This is a relatively new
phenomenon, but one that is steadily growing due to the increasing appetite of consumers for this
type of content. Foreign programming of this type enjoys advantages that are not available to
Canadian broadcasters who must compete for audiences and make significant contributions to
the broadcasting system. (Please see attached, a recent article from the New York Times on
product placement which was reproduced in the National Post earlier this month, and an article
from the October issue of RealScreen discussing this year’s MIPCOM and its focus on branded
content.)
In our view, these tie-ins should not be counted as part of a licensee’s 12-minute per hour
advertising restriction unless there is a direct and explicit attempt to sell or promote – in other
words, unless there is a hard sell or call to action. Product placement, including implicit
messages within a program, including the display of website addresses and company logos
should not be considered to be commercial messages.
b) Enhancement of Commercial Messages in Programming Content
The other problematic area within the Circular is the comment relating to the impact of
commercial breaks being significantly enhanced by the program itself. For example, if a
program deals with fishing or personal wealth, the commercial breaks cannot indicate where the
viewer can obtain further information. According to Circular 350, the Commission will consider
such programs, either in whole or in large part, as a form of advertising material.
- 8 -
This interpretation ignores the reality of television today, especially the widespread growth and
emergence of information-based, “how-to” programming. Unlike other categories of
programming such as dramas or documentaries, “how-to” programming, by its very nature, will
include detailed descriptions and consumer information regarding many different products and
services. Again, reflective of the programming genre, commercial advertising breaks may
include an indication of where the viewer may be able to get more information. For example, a
programming segment on basement renovations may include a commercial from the Home
Depot, or a segment on Thai cooking may include a commercial from Amazon.ca.
The mere presence of commercial breaks that include advertisements for the sponsor of a
program or that relates to any products or services discussed in the program should not in and of
itself qualify a program as an infomercial or as a commercial message. In our view, Circular 350
should be interpreted more strictly. Otherwise, it has the potential to unduly impact informationbased
programming.
In Circular 350, the Commission also recognized that the mix of information with sales and
promotional elements would be an important factor in determining whether particular
programming segments should instead be considered commercial messages. To remain as
programming, the mix of functions must be heavily weighed towards information and
entertainment, with only very incidental sales and promotion.
This criterion in Circular 350 is particularly appropriate for information-based, “how-to”
programming. By its very nature, information-based programming may have sales or promotion
components. That’s because, whether through sponsorships, product placements or commercial
tie-ins, the programming may include company logos, descriptions of various products, how to
use them or perhaps where to get them. However, any such sales and promotion components are
very incidental, and in no way affect the information and entertainment core of the programs.
In our view, Canadian producers and broadcasters should not be penalized for offering viewers
comparable Canadian content that provides the same mix of entertainment and information as
what we typically find in foreign programs. As a result, we believe that such programs should
qualify as Canadian content, without counting product placement or commercial tie-ins as
commercial content. Accordingly, the CAB submits that guidelines within Circular 350 should
be interpreted as follows:
• Programming must be heavily weighted towards information and entertainment, with
only incidental/implicit elements of sales or promotion. Website and company
addresses, company logos, the display of products and how to use them should not
constitute advertising material, unless combined with ordering opportunities as defined
by the Commission’s infomercial policy.
• Any advertising that appears in a commercial break must be clearly distinguishable from
the programming content.
- 9 -
• Programming cannot include ordering opportunities as defined by the Commission’s
infomercial policy – product placement and/or commercial tie-ins must be integrated into
the information/entertainment programming elements.
Given that “how-to” programming, by its very nature, includes detailed descriptions and
consumer information regarding many different products and services, and given the
Commission’s concerns regarding the enhancement of commercial messages in these types of
programs, CAB members are willing to accept the following practice with respect to “how-to”
programming:
• Commercial breaks may include advertisements for program sponsors, however, such
commercials must be inserted in the middle of commercial breaks – in other words, the
commercials cannot be the first or last commercial spot within the commercial break.
Conclusion
We thank you for the opportunity to comment on these important issues, and look forward to
further discussing them in our combined attempt to resolve the current problems in this area.
Sincerely,
Glenn O’Farrell
President & CEO
cc: Nick Ketchum, CRTC
Doug Wilson, CRTC
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after viewing material like the information above; I think our program will not violate CTC regulations especially since we do not seem to sell services or goods as an active part of our organization. I will now go ahead and finalize the Fortress TV Show into the edited and link-free show we have now prepared.

This should be an interesting week for me. It could be a very difficult week, we will have to see..... One of our members asked me what will happen if we get no chance of airing with a broadcaster. Well my answer is that I am still committed to at least my ten year term propping up the organization. We will then be obligated to take our experience to the CRTC and apply for a broadcasting licence based on our inability to access Canadian airwaves with our Canadian program. I do not want to do this at this time as we are not prepared for this move yet. However, I will not hestitate to take action if we are blocked. Personally, I feel confident we will get on some how, but all contingencies are covered.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very last minute purchases as I know money will be tight after albums and TV Show.....

I ordered two clamps to use as microphone holders on booms and stands for the lights.

I ordered in addition to the clamps - an extra handle for my Manfrotto 503 head so we can use it with the big cameras.

A 512MB professional flash card for the camera.....now I can take pictures at three frames a second! I also need the extra space for the photo shoots I may take in fine jpg or NEF RAW files.....

I bought a 320 w/s flash because that was the one area that always bothered me. The 100 w/s was too punny for the studio to be one major flash. The 320 is way more powerful and compliments the SB800 if needed and now.....oddly.....makes the 100 w/s useful as a specialty for tabletop and fill-in lighting.....funny that.....

The big studio flash; though the Nikon speedflash
may be slightly more powerful.....

The business end of the flash and very basic at that,
Though I have the battery option now for on-location shoots!

The small 100 w/s; relegated to specialty use!

The big studio flash (though not that powerful) serves its purpose by relieving me of the nagging thoughts that I was not a real pro without an adequately powerful flash.....also it impresses the client..... I got it cheap at almost half the price as name brand flashes but it does not have stepless adjustment and no accessories; fine by me and my wallet!

Things are moving along alright.....but it is very lonely here.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the night (most of it anyway), learning how to get the flashes to fire when the camera was firing. That is now done and all I have to do is to set the exposure for the set planned for Dan and company.

DVD program is not arriving until Monday - and with the audio problems that have to be worked out for DVD.....I may as well burn another AVI file for the networks today and prepare for meetings.

I will try to finalize Dave's album plates today and must contact him to finalize things. We slipped a bit yesterday, but I made up the progress last night so the first day of my "vacation" was basically a productive one.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the flash guns to work!

Failiure!

First of all, when I had the speed flash on the camera and all the others set to fire when they sensed a flash.....the above happened.....no light. I can see the strobes recharging in that picture. What had happened was that preflashes from the Nikon SB800 Speedflash set off the others prematurely.

Flash off the camera, and connected by the cord.....it now works.....

Hot wiring the camera to the 100 w/s and speedlight off.....the flash performed as expected.

That new flash now fires with the 100 w/s.

The new flash worked too well and was too powerful - even shooting through a black umbrella!

One flash working as "Key Light" (front light) and the other as fill (100 w/s).

The above picture shows two lights lighting the front and back of that subject.

One flash at the front and speedlight and 100 w/s on both sides.....success!

The last picture shows proper lighting..... Now if I can only do this tomorrow.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.....well now I try to get our TV show in the air and manufacture Dave Getchell's album! Wish me luck.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 417, 418, 419  Next
Page 5 of 419

Jump to: