Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
A Social Club Of One.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 414, 415, 416  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a recording session with Dave today and took some photos for his album cover:

http://fortressoffreedom.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2719#2719
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need sleep because I did not really sleep last night. We got much done this weekend. Thanks for looking in.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I got a solid five to six hours in last night and will try to sleep even more tonight. It still has not been a week since certification. That was one big moment for me. My achilles heal was always the subjective judgement and if you wanted to really kick me in the balls emotionally.....that was the time to do it. We are not home free with the show as we probably have to change format and find a broadcaster, but this is under our control now.

Dave is ready to go and I will compose all the tracks and we will then take a hard look at the music before finalizing and sending them off for manufacture. Later today I will apply for a block of ISMN (the M is for music as opposed to B as in book) numbers.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While ISMN could be used for for a songwriter like Dave, I see now how the regular artists are completely screwed with UPC-A. Actually I am really annoyed at how business goes out of their way to screw musicians over when they try to get their product out. Anyway, FOF is going to see just how it can be done as opposed as to how others want it done. I will also take a keen look at these agencies that produce these services and see what proprietary rights go with those that "do it for you" - There really is something rotten in the state of Denmark.....I intend to find out what.....

Anyway more work on some tracks of Dave and then off to bed. I will be a hero later on in the week as that is what FOF is for.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sending Dave a tape of the whole recording session on the weekend. If the songs were preformed correctly I think we have an album to manufacture. Notice that we did the recording in an experimental fashion that brings the ability to record to anyone with average ability, is idiot proof so all they have to do is to concern themselves with the performance. This is our mission statement! This is what we are about and why I wanted this album to be our first commercial release! This is a story on how to access the mass media for the average joe; the story is not finished yet, but good music with a good story is a good sell!
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a check of whats going on in my head..... Always concerned about money even though we are doing alright now, it is the increasing fixed costs that bug me and knowledge that the crunch occurs later based on mistakes made ealier, cash flow! If we rented space we would be in trouble in a little while. The basement solution has really helped to keep ourselves in the black! We may get our own codes and offer coding for the smaller bands and screen performers along with other support. This idea would compliment our philosophy - but it is expensive and this always concerns me. A little bit nervous/scared about directions and responsibility.

Remember, FOF and IAIJ are real corporations operating on an international level - This is not an internet fantasy! The correspondence from the government is real and the contracts are real and the people I deal with are real and must be accommodated. We have done some pretty amazing things here so far and the ante will be markedly upped when the show comes out and the CDs get released. It can get to you if you don't keep rationalizing that you are still very much in control of things. I set my pace so I really can not complain.

I deal almost exclusively with artists be they musicians, writers (Mark will love that comment), or or graphic artists (did not forget about you my friend.....). I, though, am not an artist and operate very much in another realm. This
"is" observation by myself as I offer the services of FOF/IAIJ to those that desire the exposure - to check my statements and theories. They are my foundation for my claims and the strength of my argument that humans need freedom of speech and thought and that a consensus is needed on this issue as technology become all that more smothering on our senses. We will also help and demonstrate by example, that people really are happiest expressing themselves as humans are naturally made to operate this way. Simple to say and difficult to show.

The future course of Mankind's mental evolution is my canvas and my art is my interpretation of that "being" which is Man.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to get ready for work. I spent much of the morning cutting up Dave's recodings from Sunday and things look ok. I like the fact that I was involved in the recording sessions of our first album. I keep thinking about this organization, it has grown faster than I imagined and the stakes are higher than I thought they would be at this stage. By beginning to shoot a variety show to promote our artists.....we have leap-frogged over the small independent labels and joined the ranks of the larger multi-media companies.....even if it is only in "water boy" status. Think about it.....only large corporations like Sony produce variety shows for their musical artists.....I would not believe our growth if it was not there in front of me. I have never regretted that bold step to spend the money and try to put on a real TV show! That move really did it in terms of growth!

We are still at a critical stage in development and I need full control so the necessary resolutions may be a delaying tactic. I am keeping an eye on finances, the way I set things up gives me all sorts of options for growth, but I want to save those options for that moment when re really need to "Jump!" to the next level of development.....not before. Really exciting stuff happening here. Those artists may want to rethink about possible moves to larger corporations if they get a hit.....FOF and the big boys are starting to blur a bit.....but only starting to blur.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off to bed early today..... I need good sleep! But I will add one small observation. Getting older always bothered me, but I now have a difficult time thinking about coloring out the grey hair I have now. I am forty five and not really wrinkled up yet, I really look much younger and do not have a pot and still have all of my hair. With the grey gone, people are always shocked to know my real age. But I let the grey show it's face and it is cool (no streaks just salt and pepper.....)! It is only cool as I have to act the "big shot" occasionally for FOF, but it is "cool". For once I get respect, neat thing! I first found the magic of being an aging "business man" when I bought my Nikon and then our video camera. I just pulled out my company credit card and they just processed it without any hesitation or suspicious authorization check as I am used to - good feeling there.....

Put me in a suit with my leather folder or briefcase and the grey hair and title work their magic.....I am now one of the "desirables". Just a note about our society and how people really are treated differently based on labels. I know I will soon tire of this and go back to looking young while I still can pull it off..... Just an observation and experience of what some people have every day.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Editing on Dave music tracks are complete and I will collate and check levels and continuity issues then pass it back to him for final evaluation. One thing I have discovered looking at the CD templates is that we need three images. Dave's selection is the front cover and after reflection I am siding with his choice.

The back can not stand on it's own so the full face photo of Dave is a natural here; if someone picks up his album, they should also get to see Dave's face and let his smile work it's magic. We can add text around the image as is usually done.

Inside the cover should be Dave hugging the guitar as that is a fun pic and kind of jumps at you when you open it, yet has continuity with the other photos.

That should do it and look professional. At least that is the idea. The CD itself will be the usual text only variety. I will upload the templates and continue to update them as we continue.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing to work and finalize Dave's CD and then the covers.....

Anyway, everyone seems to be taking all work here a bit more seriously and it is pretty obvious. That certification must have worked magic or jogged people into the reality of what is going on here..... Just an observation. I really should go back to sleep. One thing though, is that I really have to thank the very small group of you who regularly check this site and read my ramblings. It is no understatement that it is you guys who kept me writing at this place and kept me from really getting despondent about things sometimes. Having an audience you can count on means something to me. Some of you I know and even deal with in my immediate world. Others I know pretty well but have never met. Still a few others I know nothing about. Almost all of you are women so I am not afraid to tell you guys that I genuinely love you and it is from the heart. Just wanted to let you know that you are appreciated and kept me from a cold loneliness that I sometimes feel posting in the "Fortress Of Solitude" as one woman put it. It is a long weekend here in Canada.....much work to do!
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You women are something else! Just found out what the "Fortress Of Solitude" is:

In Superman's words,

This is the one place where I can relax and work undisturbed! No one suspects its existence, and no one can penetrate the solid rock out of which it is hewn!

I like the hint of Superman, but that is probably a coincidence..... Laughing

Fun weekend ahead for me!
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The start of the long weekend.....

I was able to finish the unedited CTRTC friendly version of the TV Show and will also produce the edited version so that we get maximum possible play if they like the show (no big deal, Dave says FUCK during his song and does not mind the volume being turned down..... ).

Right now I will update the forums and then get some sleep. I have three good days and plan to make the best of it.

I also will be using my vacation week on June 6 to get our deal and play date for the show as well as manufacturing Dave's album. I have two weeks to learn about both areas and prepare. Exciting and new stuff but we should be making progress very soon!
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The edited version of the TV show is done. I look at the show and I have to say I think this thing is a masterpiece! For the amateurish production and technique and the innocence of the park setting with kids playing in the background.....it works! I was actually regretting the "strong statements" I made regarding where I wanted the organization to go and my personal goals.....but, I have to agree looking at the show today, that I said them to keep me from sliding into the corrupting influences of this glamorous area of media.

All this churns up a lot of emotion in me and I realize that it is me and my former (and better) self making good on promises and ideas I had as a young man. He was right and and older Maurice has to realize that when I was a my peak I was as good, if not better than anyone else in my specialty.....so I must follow this path that is my destiny..... Would be nice if I could drive a new car..... Laughing

Off to have some lunch!!!!!
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on my return I cleaned up the trim on the ending of the credits and put the TV show out of my mind.....

Got to work on Dave's album. What we have to do is to punch up his voice as we pulled away the microphone because we wanted to retake some of the most difficult songs in this CD. The recordings went fine but his voice would be flatter than the originals which had the microphone up near his mouth. So I had to learn the audio functions of AVID editors. I increase the sound of his voice and changed the pan and am now inputting the tracks back into the camera and out putting into the converter which will give me the proper files for the CD. This should work in the end and then back to Dave to make sure I have the right recordings and such. Man - more work than I thought.....but this is "Show Biz".
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the tracks are done! Now all I have to do is work on the cover and then the two of us make the final decisions on lineup! I have to push this album as it and the show need to be ready at the start of my vacation in two weeks for manufacture of CD and placement of the show with a TV station.

Seeing Dave perform all his songs and suffer through some of them was interesting and a good experience for a non-musical person to get to know. The others are or will, be working in real studios so this one is special. We recorded our first album in FOF tradition the way anyone could with little money and technical knowledge.....that is special!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 414, 415, 416  Next
Page 3 of 416

Jump to: