Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
Dyke March

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Dyke March Reply with quote

Dyke March

By Maurice Ali, Journalist

Pride? These women showed it - Bravo!

Toronto, Canada - The yearly Dyke march is rather indicative of what has happened to Pride Week over the years. What has happened is that the movement has lost itself. This years march was no exception; I should know as I have been at this very event almost from it's inception. Almost forgotten in it's earlier years, the Dyke March has always played "second fiddle" to the main parade that followed on Sunday. However, I always befriended this one parade because it was "forgotten".....I am like that..... Once upon a time; only small groups would greet the small parade as it began its march, the groups were informal but they had a message and there was energy.

Hero of the cause #1.

This years parade was a bit of a disappointment. Aside from some banners.....where was the political message? Where was the emancipation? Strangely I only found that in two groups. The first is from the Mcgill Women's Club. You can see most of this group because they are topless, as was the case of many who went topless at what I believe was the true zenith of their cause when women gained the right to go topless in public like men.

Hero of the cause #2.

Where are the public displays of affection - showing the world that they were not afraid to be themselves? I only saw one couple "necking" openly but the atmosphere around such an act prevented me from taking a picture of it (though I think this was being done for the cameras). Have we gone back into the closet?

Hero of the cause #3.

There is nothing fearful about a womans's breasts. Men have them, so why the regressiveness at the march. Where are the speeches? I photographed a few (of the few) placards - remember that placards are the defining tools of protest - This is a protest.....is it not?

Hero of the cause #4.
So lets hear it for the women from Mcgill, true heros of the case; the only group to emancipate themselves from their bras - taking the original burning of the bra to it's ultimate defining moment. You really showed the others!

Older lesbians are not forgotton by me!

The second group I applaud is the original pioneers of the lesbian struggle (shown above). These are the women who started it all and paid the most price. Interestingly, it is with this group that I actually saw my first eighty year old topless woman, so they get brownie marks for still having the spirit that started the movement. I like this group and I should note that most of the aggressive tactics for change still come from this group and not so much from the younger ones - a disturbing trend.....

Festival! Toronto streets open to the public!

What to make of Pride week in general? Well, for those not used to the event in Toronto; let me just say that it is a carnival atmosphere in the heart of the Gay community in Toronto. Actually I quite liked the happy peaceful atmosphere and the tolerance from the general public that frequents these events. But this is the problem.....

One of the very few placards at the march.

Gay rights have matured to the point of becoming part of the establishment. There seems to be little more to fight. The only politics was that of the upcoming election and that the Conservatives were the enemy - but little of gay rights..... So the movement has lost it's momentum, it has become just one large family picnic of sorts. This may not be anything inherently bad, but may be an indication of something inherently good.....

No message here - I just love a dog in biker leather!

Comments And Discussion
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: