Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
The Fortress TV Show
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> FOF Television and Movie Productions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said all of the above.....

I am still open to suggestions. For example I just had a phone conversation with Dan and I will probably give him much more latitude to script himself for the information segment to be taped, his words as we want him to be himself and win over the audience; plus, he is a member now (shot his first story a week after taping) and should have the time to express himself within the confines of his "information" segment.

I am also experimenting with just having Emily do the "welcome to the Fortress TV Show" and run the intro (with her segment still placed later in the show), but if this means losing the other material about her involvement.....then we will stick with the original stuff (I need her endorsement and acknowledgement of participation.....).

More as it becomes available, should run some actual segments on the weekend.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Sony Workflow Show this week in Montreal, and they were showing off the Sony Z1. I saw the footage on a $35K HD monitor. Very nice... nay, fabulous. But you do perceive some block artifacts in very complex scenery; but not enough to be bothered by them overall. Other then that, I am pleased with the new controls on the camcorder, as well as the focus and zoom rings. Overall I was impressed, except for one thing... low light.

The room we were in was not the most perfect of settings, which is a great way to test out low light performance. I'd say 3 lux is an aggressive way to describe the performance of the Z1. I'd more put it in the 5 lux rating... but that is purely subjective after trying the thing for about only 2 hours. One thing is for sure, the PD170 is far superior in low light then the Z1. And as the pro model, I would have expected the same performance in low light.

The difference for better capabilities in low light between the PD150 and the PD170 are purely software. Who knows, perhaps a firmware upgrade is possible? But I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I went to the Sony Workflow Show this week in Montreal, and they were showing off the Sony Z1. I saw the footage on a $35K HD monitor. Very nice... nay, fabulous. But you do perceive some block artifacts in very complex scenery; but not enough to be bothered by them overall. Other then that, I am pleased with the new controls on the camcorder, as well as the focus and zoom rings. Overall I was impressed, except for one thing... low light.

The room we were in was not the most perfect of settings, which is a great way to test out low light performance. I'd say 3 lux is an aggressive way to describe the performance of the Z1. I'd more put it in the 5 lux rating... but that is purely subjective after trying the thing for about only 2 hours. One thing is for sure, the PD170 is far superior in low light then the Z1. And as the pro model, I would have expected the same performance in low light.

The difference for better capabilities in low light between the PD150 and the PD170 are purely software. Who knows, perhaps a firmware upgrade is possible? But I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

I worried so much about buying the PD170 when I knew HD and Blueray were coming out.....but what to do. I could not wait on the show and so I went with the industry standard. We do ENG and low budget SD work for corporate and broadcast TV. My limited experience is that - like still photos - we need superior low light performance. In the news media we run and shoot - no time for external lighting. The camera has to capture in whatever light is available or no video at all..... Our biggest problem is again..... low light in Mark's sequence.....

Whatever our future purchases, the PD170 stays and will probably see much use as low light is our bain.....especially at this time of year. One lux makes this camera the king of low light and is probably why Sony positioned the new PD170 in this "light" while bringing out the FXI and ZI HD comcorders onto the market.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More editing this weekend. I have redone Mark's footage with new material that should change his segment into a more presentable piece. I am on a bit of a roll now so I will keep at it. We will then evaluate this next version before I really "sweat the details".....

Other things to do:

1. Overlay clips of participants at final Dan's send-off so we don't see Dan reading the cards.

2. Inserting closeups of the press card in Shaliza's segment.

3. Turning up the volume on Dave in his interview.

That is the start for this weekend. The Mark segment is an accomplishment for this weekend and it came fast. I tested the segment where Emily just welcomes everyone to the show.....It really does not work so we may stick with the original cut or trim it down - Emily has her fans and casual viewers like it.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice Ali wrote:

1. Overlay clips of participants at final Dan's send-off so we don't see Dan reading the cards.

Done!
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the new Mark segment and the flash clips to hide Dan"s obvious card reading.....I have also done the "King Solomon" on Emily's opening segment. Now we fade from black directly to the list of accomplishments and thank you and then the opening statements.....I did another survey and the edited down version was the way to go.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some have suggested that I keep my past a mystery. They say that the show may be shown for years to come and we don't need people thinking that I am still a delivery man and that this points the organization more to a part-time thing..... Fair enough so the editing continues and my past and fearless acknowledgement of what I do for a living is now a mystery.

Actually, as we get closer to "air time"; I see we worry more about image. Mark and I have seen some serious image enhancement through the edits, not that that is a bad thing.....as long as we don't take it too far.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closeups of the press card are now on the segment. That is about it for this weekend..... Phew!
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may try out Adobe After Effects to help us with some stuff. More later.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things:

First is that I will try to have our first music video finished this weekend, just a little one based on Dave Getchell's FOFDOT theme.

Second, is that I should finish editing down the bull sessions and have a final time line to use as a guide for Dan's openning introduction to the show. The only major change is Mark's material being the stuff from the creek where he talks about journalism (Thompson influence and stuff minus the "24 hour party guy"). I have cleaned up everyone's image on the second rough cut as the show may be around for a few years and we are getting older and should show a more conservative image, especilly since we are applying for NGO status in less than a year. I am motivated to finish this thing soon and move on into the documentary and music videos. I contantly rub shoulders with people in the industry and was at a commercial shoot yesterday in the Bridle Path area; things are getting better with the increased tax breaks for the industry.

More stuff as it becomes known.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have the opening segment taped in the next two weeks which should give us the second rough cut. Then the final edit down and the scheduling and broadcaster. Time to finish this project Boz and Gals.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking points are now on paper. Dan is coming to the office to tape the new intro this Saturday. Whith that we should finalize the second draft and get to the final draft.
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shoot was a complete success; though it took us four hours to produce 2 minutes of video. It was a complicated multiple segment shoot that will be the intro for the show (explaining what they are about to see). When we shot the show we were complete amateurs; now we are still amateurs but should have more experience, and luckily it now shows. That piece is just one step below what you see on TV (with their 60G cameras and dedicated audio and lighting staff). We really surprised ourselves!

This thing was shot at our office and studio - here is the pimped up front entrance:

http://fortressoffreedom.com/FOFTVShowInt1.jpg

Here is the behind the scenes stuff; just our entry level Sony camera and entry level lighting:

http://fortressoffreedom.com/FOFTVShowInt2.jpg

I am just itching to get this thing on the air and finished, I have the contacts and numbers for one network and will get my rejection soon.....

The show now comes in at 23.5 minutes. Titles and credits are at most 1.5 minutes. We still have some time to play with but I want a definate time from the networks on what it should come in as. We may also do a shameless ad fro the websites and upcoming acts and the newspaper..... and how to apply and get in contact - actually not a bad idea.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding more segments but there was always something missing..... That was our interview with Michael. Michael was always a bit hesitant to step in front of the camera; but as his voice is behind the Mark interview that we are now using and as he cracks jokes and such off camera..... We, instead of dubbing Dan's voice (and thus recreating history) included the interview (and Michael, it is a good one hope you like it). The show is now coming in at 27 minutes without lead in or credits so it should come in at 28.5 - maybe still enough time for the informational segment but I have been told by those in the industry not to break 29 minutes. Exciting stuff now as we seem to have our show.
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More editing this weekend as I will have to add Michael to the final and ad more video when Dan starts his introduction. Then I should add my shameless promotion with flashing photos and also the closing credits and opening lead - that should be enough for the rough template for the finished show and then we will go through the task of getting input again.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> FOF Television and Movie Productions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: