Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
The Fortress TV Show
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> FOF Television and Movie Productions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have the Mark segment firgured out and it looks great. This was most challenging as Mark is interviewed by Dan and Michael and in a dark location by a creek and in the sunlight in the park. Both segments had good material but they did not work together as the contrasts were too great. I overcame this by freeze framing Mark in the park with the camera zoomed in on his "shades" and having him answer the question of what FOF means to him......then the zoom out to show the world Mark for the first time! Then more material of Mark in the park talking about the value of free speech and writing in his mindset. Up till Mark we have fairly dry informative material and his segment slows down and humanizes the show. It ends with the wind blowing and Mark chasing after cue cards in his bare feet with the combat pants and such.....really good honest imagery!

The main segments are in place and I now worry about time (I should have another thirty second added on) and transitions and text (particularily at the end). Questions on the tempo of the theme music in the "intro" have been put to rest; the segment goes as designed. I now return to the computer and continue to sort out the show.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closing Credits

Since everyone worked for free, they get credit at the end of the show. I will try to include everyone here and if there are discrepencies.....let me know!

Produced by: Fortress Of Freedom Inc.

Directed By:
Maurice Ali

Editing:
Maurice Ali

Technical Director:
Michael Atkinson

Scripts:
Sue Earps
Maurice Ali

Camera:
Michael Atkinson
Maurice Ali

Sound:
Maurice Ali

Lighting:
Michael Atkinson
Maurice Ali

Continuity:
Michael Atkinson
Maurice Ali

Special effects:
Maurice Ali

Host:
Dan Strudwick

Musical Choreography:
Dave Getchel

Theme Music/Song:
Dave Getchel

Journalists:
Mark Moore
Dan Strudwick
Michael Atkinson
Sue Earps
Maurice Ali

Interviews:
Dave Getchell
Dan Strudwick
Maurice Ali
Mark Moore
Michael Atkinson
Emily Smith

Model:
Emily Smith

Cards:
Myrtle Ali
Yasmin Ali

Coptright 2005 By Fortress Of Freedom Inc.
Any reporoduction; in whole or in part, is expressly forbidden withour the permission of Fortress Of Freedom Inc.

That should cover it.....

Last edited by Maurice Ali on Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not find information on the length of time (it is not 30 minutes). So I guess I will have to do it the old fashioned way and time some infomercials on stations I would like to be on.....

I am also going to make the closing credits after I post this and possibly a few very short transitional segments - views of the park!

That should be good enough to record and start showing to people before going further.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I speak.....I am actually recording my first DVCAM master on miniDV tape. The only thing missing is the credits (may be the rolling kind.....) but that can be added in later, I have three minutes of embossed logo as the background. At 27.5 minutes we could have used 30 seconds more footage and been comfortable.....but I could not find anything that would add to the show - It will stand as taped. I will err on having the web addresses on for a minute (burning in people's mind) than take a chance of having part of the show clipped. The first screening should take place later tonight.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The First Screening.....

Went well, but as its purpose was known; I have found some more work to do:

1. Video is excellent with only one noticeable moment as the camera automatically cut back on exposure when our hostess presented our newspaper in the bright light; not noticeable at beginning only at the end and only briefly. That was it, and the rest was clean! That took much work and editing but there is no more work to be done with the video, only captioning needs to be done.

2. Audio..... This is where we need some work, and basically because I took it for granted.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another day.....

Audio..... That is a big area. I may just take today off and relax. The audio is intact and not spiked; so the show already a reality. A good audio man can easily do what needs to be done but I really should handle this. However, if I get lazy, I reserve the option to let a pro just tweak the audio. Anyway the audio and captioning need to be done but I will e-mail some of the participants about progress before I commit more time to finishing. Funny how I hoped the show would be perfect at this early stage of the game.....so typical of me.....like the minor spelling mistakes in my written works that have to be corrected days later. The paper, book.....every project needs a large amount of time to sweat out detail after we thought we had the completed project.....oh well.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played the VHS copy on my TV via the old crappy co-axial cable and the audio problems I alluded to earlier don't seem to be present. I am therefore going to make some third generation copies and distribute them to the main participants. I will also copyright the show after I post this "reply". Things are moving at Fortress Of Freedom; my only problem now is getting the program managers to accept this TV Show for broadcast.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still getting feedback from all parties on the show. Remember folks, that if we had a professional production house do the show.....then the entire idea behind the project was pointless..... In fact there would be "no show" if we took the spirit of the original concept behind the entire project.

There is method behind this madness.....hang in there.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough-cut and input....

Ok, I have received feedback from all of the participants. Most of the criticisms over this version of the show revolve around a couple of areas.

First is that people, having seen themselves on tape, would like a second chance to correct segments of their presentation. Dan, for example, wanted to retake his intro and exit as the cue cards were held too high and he looks up as he reads them and only down at the ending segments. Others look like they want a more edited down version of their interviews. I take these statements seriously especially Dan's as he would like to use his hosting of the show as part of his resume to get into broadcasting.

Second is the actual editing of the show, and the desired appearance of the show. I made no qualifications about not wanting a "slick" production and wanted the "amateurishness" to come through. Although the rough cut was incomplete; perhaps we are too amateurish..... Anyway, without getting too involved, here are some of the problems I encountered editing.

1. Biggest problems is that we ran out of material to fill the thirty minute informercial. As it stands the show is at twenty 27.75 minutes with a 3 minute embossed logo for credits. Editing down interviews and such would have even more time on our hands. There is an obvious solution for this, but more later.....

2. Creek segments were underexposed as we were in the shade of the trees. The interview with Mark where we shot upward with profile against the sky had the camera cut back on background light making Mark look like a shadow. The other (safe shot) is potentially usable but requires some technical color adjustment and this has to be done within minor parameters for broadcast and less so for consumers, much work here..... This is what lead to the infamous freeze frame shot of Mark at the beginning of his segment being asked about FOF - this was a work around to correct a problem.

3. Dave in stereo. Segments either had mistakes (according to Dave at the time) in lyrics (remember that Dave considers himself foremost as a song writer) or the wind blew his hair around so much the his hair was actually staning on end in one take. The version on the rough-cut was actually the best in the end.

4. Audio. Half the show was shot with one track. this was not a problem in the end as it happened after the stereo shots and I simply reproduced the audio on track two. Dave's voice on his pre-song interview is too soft but the music os OK in recording level. The midi theme music could use some work (synthesized music = problems, anyway.....).....so we may look at tweaking that bit of the intro.....

5. Emily. Emily had to be in the show as apart from Sue, she contributed more than anyone else in the public side of the organization and was basically the third person to join the organization. This kid did everything asked when we had nothing to back us up and actually defended the organization and understood exactly what it was about. She was picked in the end to host the intros to many segments but became pregnant and had to pull out. So I had that segment of her shot in the rain that I plopped at the beginning of the show. If we remove that segment (then have even more dead air.....) I intend to get her on in another way (more on this later).

Thirdly concerns myself. Sue was the first to mention that less is more when it comes to me and Michael has chimed in with similar sentiments. We can dispense with the bull session in the middle of the show (more later) and that will get rid of me "preaching to the choir". The acheivment segment could be redubbed with Dan and that would get me out of that segment, which leaves us with the interview and speech. That interview is a bit risky as the Iraq war business may turn off or scare way potential visitors/members, and maybe should be edited out or redone. The speech can't really be chopped down as I put all the philosophy and stark information about the organization in one place for people to understand what it is all about. We could use the side shots Michael took (even though I am reading it from a paper and not the cue cards in the rough-cut version) and ordinary footage of kids being themselves to break up the monotony of me speaking for four or five minutes.

Conclusions.....

We need an information segment about free speech around the world (like in Zimbabwe, for example) with Dan narrating and how IAIJ attempts to help in this situation. Also why FOF helps the cause of free speech by allowing regular people access to the mass media for alternative voices apart from the wealthy media barrons. This segment is large enough that it will take up time that we can edit out from other segments to clean up interviews and such, while ensuring people understand why the organization exists.

The participants will be given a second chance to retake their segments. This is possible as we are not under any time constraints (until we apply for the licence with the CRTC). That information segment will take time and that will put us into spring; so Dan can get to retake the send-off and intro. Emily will have given birth and have a chance to actively participate. Mark can get the rest of his interview done again. Anyone else who would like to retake their sequences will be given the same opportunity. We will retake until it is right and then send the show to the broadcasters and as part of the presentation for CRTC licence.

That is where we stand at the present time. I have no intention of taking this to a production house as I visit these places every day now (every day this week so far) and what they are doing and what we are doing is now seriously blurring into the same thing.....we are getting that close in experience and ability. Yes we are learning, but we are approaching what some of these "professional film makers" are doing. We have to know how to do this thing on our own. I will have to demonstrate this proficiency to the CRTC when we apply, there is no way around this, we will learn as we do!

Well, I suppose - like in the book, radio ad, newspaper.....I had expected the first take of the show to be a winner. Actually I really like the rough-cut as it is really us (and yes I am a megalomanic with a fondness for young girls..... Laughing ) and some parts like Mark "smoking" up in the park while telling us we have to ignore the minor things and concentrate on the major issues.....Brilliant stuff! Also the "attitude" with the shaved head and army pants and chain and sunglasses yet running around for cue cards with bare feet is also fabulous stuff! Mark's segment is the best! Dave has a really honest presentation and is absolutely charming as he smokes a cigarette and sings about nicotine being the heroin you by at the corner grocery store! I like the fact that we "care" enough about people in this organization; that we do what we want without wondering if the program manager is going to like it or not. So what if we have Emily on the show, they had fun doing it. I find it very repugnant that we spout all this stuff about free speech and doing it our way - yet we are supposed to change everything to meet some big TV Station's guidelines..... I don't intend to suck the blacking of the program manager's booties and change everything until the show is a parody of what it should be, it is ordinary people accessing the mass media, and ordinary people should be able to see this and empathize as we make minor mistakes and such. Anyway, we will revise the show - but - I am going ahead and finishing off this rough cut as an internal or "director's cut" as this version is most precious to me.

In any event; this is where the TV show stands at the present time. I thank all for their comments, no offence taken.
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that people are calming down from the "horror" of our first rough cut. I still have to say that this version of the show is still a treasure in my eyes. Sure is it simple, sure I just added segments as given to me as is. Remember that everyone here contributed for free; it is not up to me to take their gift and mess around with it. Sure I could have cut up Mark's segment and made it slick, I could also make him say almost anything with an edited copy.....this one was all him. Much of this show are contributions and not the dominion of myself and my ego, I respected that. Our intro was designed that way, I love it; and the fact people react to it actually "react to it" is a desirable thing as we see TV all the time and never react to the intro. Real people taking back the airwaves.....

Anyway; I will finish this version of the show this weekend and vault it. I love this work and all the people behind it. Because I know so much about all segments, this work "lives" when I see it. When I see a certain segment, I know who was behind it and the great folk to helped us out. To criticize something for not being commercial is no criticism at all in my book. You have to transcend what your attitudes are on what is a real work of art and what is just there to sell some product. We don't have to please anyone!

This whole project was to make a point, not to prove we can produce something commercial and try to make a living doing what the others in this business do. If I had an established production house make the show, the CRTC would see this immediately and not pay me or the organization any consideration at all; this has to be done by ourselves. You are involved in something worthwhile here, give it a chance.....

Much of TV is simply to put you into a catatonic state where the advertising can by-pass all your screens and imprint its message on your unsuspecting mind - That is not the purpose of our show.....

By The Way: For those who have not seen the show and may actually think it is some "horror".....it is not. It is an actual show with a purpose (unlike 99 percent of TV), the folk in the show expressed themselves and the message got out. The fact minor mistakes were made and people where nervous "is" the power behind the message. Real ordinary people believing in a cause - great and powerful stuff. This version will stand the test of time.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is official that we will work on the show to put our best foot forward and edit/reshoot and do whatever to make the show the best it can be. I will place some qualifications on how we will do this, but most should be happy with the result.

The rough cut will be completed but will not become the broadcast show that was planned. Parts will be used for the documentary (since this developed much disussion and such) and I will make the show available to those die hards that are partiuclarily interested in the development of the show. That should placate many of the arguments that played against improvement of the show. More on this later.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually took a bit of a break while uploading that rough cut of the show and cleaned up around the house. I have to concentrate on the financial statements and I think Dan is working on his album this week (he has it off) in preparation for the recording we will have to make (looks like the Phase One Studios in Toronto that recorded The Guess Who, Rush, etc.). The documentary has to be worked on as there is much material to assemble. Still it is a relatively quiet time now.....
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fortress TV Show: Director's Cut

By Maurice Ali, Director

Yes this is the actual Master of the Fortress TV Show!

On January 2, 2005 I distributed a "rough cut" of the first draft of our TV show. In the downloadable clips to follow; you will be able to see our show as originally taped on that fateful day of September 18, 2004. As a first draft everyone saw themselves in a rather "naked" state and much more work needs to be done. So this version will not be the banner "infomercial" that the general public will be exposed to. However, this is the show that demonstrated to us that we could access the mass media; make no mistake.....it is a show! We also have many people here who were involved in the show and posting on the net allows them to see the original footage from their various locations. This version means much to me as the mistakes and such were all a part of our entry into the mass media. Ordinary people accessing the mass media is the aim of our media company, and our TV show is a statement to the world that we mean what we say.

the clips are in order and overlap so you know that the next clip is infact that next clip. There is no captioning as I will only put names and credits on the final copy. This material is copyrighted 2005 by Fortress Of Freedom Inc.; all rights reserved, any reproduction - in whole or in part - is forbidden without the approval of Fortress Of Freedom Inc. Enjoy!

Click Here: Clip 1 7MB

Click Here: Clip 2 20MB

Click Here: Clip 3 10MB

Click Here: Clip 4 10MB

Click Here: Clip 5 23MB

Click Here: Clip 6 14MB

Click Here: Clip 7 15MB

Click Here: Clip 8 11MB

Click Here: Clip 9 11MB
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been showing for some spots for the show. It look like a spot on a large broadcast station will cost a few thousand dollars while cable is cheaper but greater regional coverage. I will post the prices of the leading contenders as I visit the stations.

The new structure of the show has bee decided upon and most concerns ave been addressed.....much more later.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fortress TV Show: Update On Editing

We now have a definite plan of action on the second version of the show.

Dan.

Dan is going to start the show with an information segment about what the organization is about and why we took such a bold step to do a TV show without help from anyone else. This is Dan's redemption for mistakes made on Sept 18. This segment is to be as professional as possible and we will be honest with the audience about the original show to follow. Dan is to tell the audience that the show was an experiment and test of our organization's philosophy of bringing the mass media to the masses, the problems we had to deal with and so on; he will also mention that this was his first debut as a host on TV, etc. It was decided that retaping would involve serious continuity problems and would affect the credibility of the show to an audience wary of organizations like ours. Keeping the show honest is the best way to go.....

Dan's final sequence can be corrected with short clips of the people he talks about and then we fade to Dan as he lowers his eyes to make camera contact at the end. If we can minimize Dans card reading at the beginning then we will do so - otherwise leave it as is.....This corrects Dan's concerns about the show.

Emily.

There were some criticisms about Emily being a superfluous segment, I will address that concern now. I deliberately taped Emily and put her at the front of the show for very good reasons. First of all.....First impressions are lasting; think about what that segment is about. It is about pretty blond haired blue-eyed Emily "hamming it up" and flirting with the camera, and me ranting about how she was one of the first to join the organization, did our press card, radio ad, and other modeling for us. What the audience sees is a typical member of society actively involved with this organization; and not a group of fanatics forcing some organization upon an unsuspecting public.. This mates our unknown organization (to the audience) to an inoffensive likeable Canadian girl anyone would want as a friend, daughter, girlfriend, etc. - Emily helps put the organization in a positive light when people are making snap judgements about what they are seeing. She also keeps people from changing the channel (which is also important). Remember that the audience knows nothing about us when it sees this infomercial; all they see is beautiful Emily and an American voice (they don't know if is a coloured voice) telling how much she has been involved with FOF..... Then I tell here how much we appreciate her and "thanks" and Emily smiles and immediately says "no problem" in a very easy manner that is not forced.....It is obvious that she likes her participation with our organization, and this segment puts a positive "halo" over our organization which we need as we move further into the infomercial. Emily has been the image and voice of our organization to the general public. She stays in for all these reasons. However, the fact that Dan is now at the head of the show resolves the complaint about Emily at the beginning (got what you wanted.....but not the way you wanted.....).

Mark.

Mark's segment was a bit of an experiment and if failed miserably. With that in mind we move back to the standard taping at the bridge. The only problem with this segment is that it is shot in the shade with the tree leaves casting shadows over everyone. We can lighten this up and I may take this to a studio (I have no problem with this as I could do it myself with the proper program and within spec for broadcast.....). This resolves the concern about the smoking in the park and the disjointed interview (as Mark's bridge interview is very succinct).

Dave.

Although Dave told me he was initially disappointed with his performance; I felt he hit a home run for FOF! Realize that he was concerned with his performance and I was concerned with how he helped the organization. Dave does this by giving some of the best answers and having them come from (like Emily) a blond haired, soft-spoken intellectual. He answers the questions put to him is an honest self-assured manner that once again, tells the world that typical well-meaning people are involved with our organization.....Great Stuff! We will increase the audio during the interview as Dave is soft-spoken. Here is some of the interview:

Q: What does Fortress Of Freedom mean to you?
A: "Freedom is good thing" (a simple answer like that works! No long-winded rant). "The right to speak is good" (simple again, said with conviction and unqualified.....the best way!). "I like the idea of a free chat site" (connects the organization to his philosophy, can't ask for more than that).

Dave comes across to our audience as a well mannered, likeable and believable person. When he starts his song he makes good eye contact with the camera and interacts with the audience as he explains his song and then smokes a cigarette as he performs his song about smoking - Great Stuff! He is the perfect lead-in to my boring speech. His segment was deliberately placed before the speech and his performance could not have been better! Thank you Dave!

Maurice

There should be less of me as possible. Specifically, as someone mentioned, less about the war and less about my past. I was always upfront about this, but I can see the logic here. I also don't like the fact I seem to be telling Emily to say something in their segments - may be able to do something about that if it is not obvious. We should probably do more editing in the general "bull sessions" in the park.

Animated Introduction: This was well liked, only the simple midi theme is to be improved. The theme stays - of course - but the instrumentation and tempo are to be altered for a more pleasing effect. Interestingly, the theme music is ok when you hear if over and over again, but most will only hear it once.....

General Comments:

Every segment of the show is to be cleaned up as much as possible; but we will not retape as discussed above. We will tape a new segment to address the rest of the show and point out things missed in the September taping..... People like Sue will have a photo attached at the credits (will do this for everyone if they like).

Remember that the organization is the star of the show, not the individual participants. Decisions were made on that basis. This is an infomerical and people get exposure participating in it, but the purpose is to promote the organization. If this examination looks like it was done by an advertising guy, it was.....I ran an ad agency in the mid-eighties and used this psychology on this TV show. My actions are for the betterment of the organization we believe in. I ask you to understand and sacrifice any minor concerns about each of your segments to the greater good of the cause we believe in.

Maurice
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> FOF Television and Movie Productions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: