Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
The Fortress - Basic Goals And Decisions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> The Fortress - Newspaper/Books/Magazines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: The Fortress - Basic Goals And Decisions Reply with quote

Ok, now that the initial euphoria of producing our first newspaper has past.....it is time to take a hard look at what we want to do:

1. What is our target market? That one is fairly easy; it is ourselves and the university crowd. Much of this first issue is for the self-gratification of all participants, nothing wrong here. It is this issue where we can have some fun and make mistakes that will not be too hazardous. However, we will learn form these errors and get better the next time. The university crowd is the obvious target audience as that group is most sensitive to our message and most accommodating to the problems of low budget underground newspapers.

Bottom line is that we will keep some of the papers and distribute the rest mostly at universities and colleges (but this would not be a hard and fast rule).

2. The competition? Every learning institution has their own newspapers; but these papers concentrate on campus news and the like and we are much more global so I don't see any real conflict there.

3. Manpower. I will ask help and suggestions from anyone who wishes to help. I do not know it all (obviously) and if you think you can help.....make yourself known!!!!!

4. Concerning the next issue. I plan more issues but we should not get ahead of ourselves. So there will be no "to be continued" articles in this issue. One thing at a time.

5. Sponsorship help. One reason I avoid cash from outside is that they will always try to influence you with their money (though not all). Sooner or later if we keep this up we will have to include some kind of backing, and hopefully the right kind; but for now we do not have to deal with this problem.

That should help you see things as I see them. Chime in with any thoughts or challenge my views.....I don't mind.
pops_fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: The Fortress - Basic Goals And Decisions Reply with quote

Count me in....we can discuss in detail when we meet but in the meantime feel free to toss me ideas and what you need help with immediately.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Fortress - Basic Goals And Decisions Reply with quote

pops_fire wrote:
Count me in....we can discuss in detail when we meet but in the meantime feel free to toss me ideas and what you need help with immediately.

First thing is a Rule:

All jobs employed by FOF/IAIJ will have at least three quotes from different companies with previous contractors (of satisfying work) being the last to quote.

With that in mind I will have to see how much space we have with the budget we will have and if we can include art in color on one sheet. Presently these are open-ended questions I will have to consolidate by the end of the week. We could meet during the weekend, and if possible I will e-mail you for location and time toward the end of this week. Thanks for offering your help.

Maurice Ali
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More thoughts.....

I placed a general time limit of late March as the time to go to press.

I have secured funds for the project based on a formula that gave us a figure we should not exceed - these funds are now available and the budget should not exceed this. However, I will complete this first newspaper no matter what.

I am looking at regular pages, four columns, with approximately 2,600 words a page in standard sized script. We will see later on today what amount of material is already taken by our own exclusive reports and what we have left for other submissions and art.

That is about it for now.....more information later.....
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one thousand as the quantity we would start off with the first issue.

I have been counting the number of words in our reports, and they average about five hundred words a story. I would say that we have about four full pages of good stories and poetry. We should have one sheet for color art and front page graphics and introduction.

On the tabloid paper I used as an example, three sheets equal six sides and converts to 12 pages. So if we take the one sheet as graphics (the cover and back sheet), that will leave us with eight pages for text (about twenty one thousand words of contributed writing). However, if the solicited contributions are small; then we can simply go with the two sheets (not too crazy about a thin first paper) or lager text and photos/art to fill it up. There are many combinations here....food for thought.....
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid confusion running two similar threads about the newspaper, I will post some of the other thread below and lock it.....and we will just continue in this one thread:

Now that everyone has had a chance to see the discussion and comment.....the decision has been made and the paper will be called: The Fortress. It will probably be a banner at the top of the page with a wide black stripe below and above the name like this:

THE FORTRESS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dizzy wrote:
How are you going to pay for all this. I guess there will not be any advertising?

Out of my own pocket as there will be no advertising. Crying or Very sad

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sue wrote:
Why will there not be any advertising ? and will you be asking for donations ?

No donations. The first one will be my treat and I will ask for submissions from a broad spectrum to keep the paper "light hearted". The idea is to learn how to put out a newspaper and produce it. I will make at least 1,000 copies (more if more interest) on regular newsprint. This number will force us to think about distribution and page layout, etc. - a real adventure!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sue wrote:
How big will the newspaper be ? how many pages ? and will you use any of the reports from the FOF Exclusive Reports ?

We probably will use our written reports. All submissions will be produced and copyrighted by Fortress Of Freedom Inc. and all submissions will be legally protected by me once it passes my approving eye. I am probably looking at 12 to 24 pages depending on the amount of material. The thing here is to get the paper out there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

pops_fire wrote:
Besides text we should have art work in there somewhere to brighten up the paper...doesn't have to be colour--or even a lot of art--just something to compliment the words

I also agree, and it is definately something I will look into for the cover/outside sheet.
pops_fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: forward moving Reply with quote

Due to prior commitments, including my bloody valentine, Sunday is the only free day this weekend....as far as printing is concerned, I believe you've done some work with my friend Dan from Fraser Graphics, I can check around for other quotes....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: forward moving Reply with quote

pops_fire wrote:
Due to prior commitments, including my bloody valentine, Sunday is the only free day this weekend....as far as printing is concerned, I believe you've done some work with my friend Dan from Fraser Graphics, I can check around for other quotes....

Sunday is fine, and I will confirm, and exact time and location a bit later in the week.

Dan and Fraser Graphics have done most, but not all, of the work to date and they have done an exemplary job. This is why I came up with the rule; we still need to shop the job around, but I have no qualms leaving Dan and Fraser till the last to quote on the job as all things being equal.....I would rather do business with a company that has a proven track record..... Regardless of the outcome of the newspaper, Dan is still going to get more work from me as I have been dragging my heals on other stationary (I guess it is a sign of success that I need business cards for the companies because I keep meeting people that ask for them.....but only have the generic "Fortress Of Freedom" Cards.....In the other "failed" businesses, I made up the cards first, only to have absolutely no cause to hand them out.....).

One other thing about the websites. Our organization took a giant leap forward last weekend when I made the changes to this message board. In a sense, what was originally the whole point of this activity (the websites); has now become just a part of something larger. You will find that we are now concentrating on the newspaper and soon the commercials and a possible TV program will also start up. The IAIJ business is set up and can almost run itself now (with just a little more tweaking). I am very pleased that the original planning and vision that lead to the set up of these companies, has now allowed the fullest expression of my original cause, and the unfettered possible growth of our media interests without compromising each other. This is one of the things that is now giving me the greatest satisfaction. At any rate, expect activity of this message board to be slow as the early prattling about incorporation was necessary but a drag on popularity; and the newspaper will be a further "drag" on popularity. However, the paper will be one of the biggest events to consolidate FOF Inc. as a real business interest. Real businesses must produce something; IAIJ produces the press cards, and FOF will produce the newspaper.

Remember that every time we change, we disassociate ourselves from others that were attracted to us originally; and we are making changes at a very rapid pace. Now is the time to make these changes so when we build on the final foundation, we will build on the personnel organization that will be with us on a more permanent basis. That is enough for now.....rant over folks.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting confused.
Locked topics, moved topics, I don't know whether I'm coming or going any more.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I'm getting confused.
Locked topics, moved topics, I don't know whether I'm coming or going any more.

Actually that was the whole point. From now on, we try to keep everything on this one thread and in sequential order to avoid confusion. The posts from the parallel thread are posted above.
Maurice
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I did not make this clear before: Submissions will end for the newspaper when we get close to our page limits. Submissions will be returned and the reasons why if this happens.
JeanCretian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice wrote:
If I did not make this clear before: Submissions will end for the newspaper when we get close to our page limits. Submissions will be returned and the reasons why if this happens.

I assume you would also post that fact publicly so that you don't have to do it after the fact. Or am I being to obvious?
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeanCretian wrote:
Maurice wrote:

I assume you would also post that fact publicly so that you don't have to do it after the fact. Or am I being to obvious?

You assume correctly, and I guess I was not obvious enough.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! One week past the last post!

We were setting up the 'nest' the past week and can now get back to the task before us. This paper is another very hard task for me because I know little about producing one. However, like web design, we shall persevere and conquer.....

How to handle the layout in a format that can go directly to the printers is the hard part. My best guess is to look around at what there is available for the job and then see if it is economically feasible to do it; then move from there. Quark XPress and Adobe InDesign seem to be the best professional tools to format and layout a page that can to straight to the printing press.....however, the programs are too.....too expensive to consider without exhausting other options available to us.

One way or another, this paper will be made. These tasks are the test of our resolve, it just gets harder when you get to radio and television, and more complicated. Print layout is just work; radio and television involve presentation, shmoozing and such, and it is harder and more costly to get people to come on for interviews.

But I take on this task, with the others, because you only live once and this opportunity to give our lives some extra purpose is a very worthy gamble.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More.....

You see we must learn to do everything but the printing the first time. We are currently under no responsibilities to advertisers, so we can delay the paper it we screw something up; while this may not be possible if an advertiser has a time-sensitive advertising promotion.

Also, if we have someone do the layout this time and pay for it.....we will still face the problem of layout the next time. So.....we have to do it the first time.

I just thought I would let you know what is happening in my thought processes.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> The Fortress - Newspaper/Books/Magazines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: