Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
The Fortress - Basic Goals And Decisions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> The Fortress - Newspaper/Books/Magazines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a gamble worth taking and a learning process too for me - I'm glad that I'm having a chance to do be involved in something like this ,it's something completely different to get out of the same old same old of normal life.
pops_fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Calling all Directors Reply with quote

This is for everyone involved but particularly the directors....I've contacted Sue already but I want feedback from Elizabeth. The following are things for us to hash out-- and soon if we want to make the release date---all comments are welcome:

What is our message?
I believe we should have an identifiable tone. When someone picks up the Fortress they should, in spite of the diverse views expressed, feel a common thread running throughout the paper. Leave the floodgates open but we should funnel issues of freedom (civil liberties, expression, association) through the pages. A David vs Goliath attitude should suit us quite nicely-- definitely put in a piece about the visits from our American cousins.
Because we are international, seizing the opportunity to get the goods (local news) from all corners of the globe is a no-brainer. I want news from Africa, China, anywhere that free thinkers breath.

For most of us, this is our first paper. We have to divide the duties so that Maurice can get some sleep once in a while. Check out your local indie paper for ideas. I want to stress that we get a jump on this because the time will creep up on us real quick.

We can discuss distribution as the deadline draws nearer.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the never ending problem of getting a layout platform for presenting our articles.....I may do it with Corel Word Perfect:

Note: After this file (that will only open if you have Corel wp); all other pages will be in jpg. format.
First Layout Page

It is not in it's final form (we need to work on sizing and such); I just wanted to show that it can be done with the tools at hand for no extra outlay of money. More examples as I learn how to use this program.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all Directors Reply with quote

pops_fire wrote:
This is for everyone involved but particularly the directors....I've contacted Sue already but I want feedback from Elizabeth. The following are things for us to hash out-- and soon if we want to make the release date---all comments are welcome:

What is our message?
I believe we should have an identifiable tone. When someone picks up the Fortress they should, in spite of the diverse views expressed, feel a common thread running throughout the paper. Leave the floodgates open but we should funnel issues of freedom (civil liberties, expression, association) through the pages. A David vs Goliath attitude should suit us quite nicely-- definitely put in a piece about the visits from our American cousins.
Because we are international, seizing the opportunity to get the goods (local news) from all corners of the globe is a no-brainer. I want news from Africa, China, anywhere that free thinkers breath.

For most of us, this is our first paper. We have to divide the duties so that Maurice can get some sleep once in a while. Check out your local indie paper for ideas. I want to stress that we get a jump on this because the time will creep up on us real quick.

We can discuss distribution as the deadline draws nearer.

Good ideas and I support all efforts to get a more international view on things. The problem is getting the material; remember that it must be ours.....not previously published and copyrighted. We have to be careful here as a paper is easy to litigate. I have been pushing the prodding by American agencies on our site as a way of showing that we are being taken seriously by people.....so we have to start acting seriously (and I will stop the IP whining as it is getting "old" now) Check the "Staff Room" for more information on your fellow directors.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is our latest attempt at our front page, lets here some comments on how to improve this error prone and second attempt:

Front Page In jpg Format
Sue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually looks good but obviously needs some work on it - it would be great if it the text can be broken up with photos also for the columns to be graduated so it doesn't look too formal - if a story doesn't fit is it possible to have it continued on the next page ? also to have the headlines ie: War Cry in different size fonts - the thing is now you know how to do it to experiment on what looks good and eye catching
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may still have to switch to another format, but I will try and see just how much space all of our quality articles will take, the we will see how much we still have to mess around with for pictures and outside submissions.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished updating our test paper with our news stories. I have good news and I have bad news.

First the good news:

We have more than enough material available to make the paper. I filled eight pages with text alone with stories from all journalists. That means that if we have the money, we can fill another sheet with non-news stories and poetry and such.

The Bad News:

Well.....all of our skills as journalists are not up to the level of the pros. This was obvious from the start and obvious on the layout.....nothing to be done here except we must all try to improve. We need more in depth reports. The Freenet story was the only one that qualifies under this heading and we have the files to back it up. All of our other stories appear to be reactionary pieces. There is still time to write a few more involved works. Lastly, our ability to layout the paper is problematic, I am learning on old software which may or may not work.....we can only cross our fingers.

Overall:

All of the above noted, we are nevertheless on the way to publishing our first paper. Just do not expect miracles here.....
Sue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice Ali wrote:

The Bad News:

Well.....all of our skills as journalists are not up to the level of the pros. This was obvious from the start and obvious on the layout.....nothing to be done here except we must all try to improve. We need more in depth reports. The Freenet story was the only one that qualifies under this heading and we have the files to back it up. All of our other stories appear to be reactionary pieces. There is still time to write a few more involved works. Lastly, our ability to layout the paper is problematic, I am learning on old software which may or may not work.....we can only cross our fingers.

Overall:

All of the above noted, we are nevertheless on the way to our the publishing of our first paper. Just do not expect miracles here.....

Isn't the idea that the reports are not written by professional journalists and that anyone can be a journalists therefore the people you want to be writing for the newspaper are surely going to be fitting in writing with their paying work and their possibly busy homelife. Surely this is a reality and the stories may be reactionary unless someone is personally involved in a protest or a movement though I have to say that reading newpapers and listening to news radio recently a lot of reports by the professionals are reacionary the difference is that they have access to the great and the 'good' for quotes or interviews.
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we have below, is the first full sized representation of approximately what the main body of our paper will be:

All pages in jpg format

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Check it out and post comments below. I will probably have to start all over again with a more modern format; but this exercise over the next couple of days will give all the opportunity to request changes and offer suggestions. Note that we only used seven of our eight page minimum. The extra page could be a full sized photo and title for the paper; poetry and short stories, or graphics on the first and last page.....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore this post:

http://fortressoffreedom.com/FortressFrontPage2.wpd
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the latest example of our possible front page:

The Front Page
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we have below, is the revised first full sized representation of approximately what the main body of our paper will be (as updated from the version above):

All pages in jpg format

Front Page

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Check it out and post comments below. We have since learned that Adobe can change our Corel WP into PDF files; so we shall see if we can go this way.....more later.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is enough for tonight. A strange feeling came over me when I produced that front page.....it occurred to me that we were actually producing a newspaper? How the hell did this happen?

Just a lot of little things that we did are coming together to produce something bigger that the sum of it's parts. There are more projects ahead. This venture has taken a toll on my time but it was worth it. Getting our first paper in my hand will be reward enough!

Goodnight!
Zahava

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Front page Reply with quote

I think we might attract more readers if we stuck to one or two gripping images on the front page that went with the stories presented. Also, if you feel that some articles are below par or not interesting, would it not be wise to at least accumulate a couple of pieces with substance and oomph before printing? What about an interview? Are we still accepting articles for the first paper, or is everything a fete accompli?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> The Fortress - Newspaper/Books/Magazines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: