Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
June, 2009 Fortress On Tour!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: June, 2009 Fortress On Tour! Reply with quote

June, 2009 Fortress On Tour!

By Maurice Ali, Journalist

We are now actively distributing our latest paper to Ontario universities and , as usual, have a little travel log of our paper route!

This is an on-going journal with more text and photos to come!

Part of the fun of making an issue of The Fortress is actually making the newspaper and distributing it "by hand!" Some things internet papers miss is the real distribution by "in your face" physical accessibility at selected locations. The old fashioned way. Printing a paper is still a bit of "black magic" as the printing process is not what you give them is what you get. It is more esoteric and took a few years to get right. When we get the papers they are just sheets that have to be collated and folded to produce one paper. Then we physically drive down to the universities and place the papers in selected spots for maximum exposure. Sounds like much expense and work and yes it is! But the rewards are what keep us at it. Below you will see some of our favorite locations and the competition from other papers we face.

Ryerson University

I went to Ryerson in the 1970's and I am back with our little paper! The only competition right now is the colorful Free Press. We are still black and white but our unique form of editorial makes this a no comparison between the two papers. Still the Free Press is one nice little rag.....

University Of Toronto

We target Robart's Library at the University Of Toronto and distribute anywhere we can find a wire stand. They have a real paper box newspaper there called The Bulletin. Funny how these small college papers have raised the production a notch while other large papers are falling by the wayside. We are unique with our signature white 50lb stock; but look at the quality coming out of the universities!

York University

York University is another university I went to and with Ryerson they are the two critical markets for our little paper. The Excalibre rules here with their nice offices and very expensive advertising. I know this because we looked for some advertising in the early days and were shocked at the rates!

I always leave some papers at the old dorm at my college at York called Bethune College. Here in the stack you will also see another small paper called The Flying Walrus. I have a soft spot for The Flying Walrus. There were two issues there, a regular one and an older yellowed one. Ah those guys know how to tug at my heartstrings. That paper goes on even if the pages go yellow.....

Centennial College

Another site for our rag. We always distribute after security locks the place up and have to wait for some kid to leave the building before we can leave anything there. The main paper is The Courier and they won't be back till the new school year so we just used their racks.

Seneca College

At Seneca College we compete against The Buzz. they are out of print until the beginning of the school year so we just used their racks..... The Buzz, when they print, is usually a colorful paper so I hope we see them back here soon.

And there we are so far.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: