Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
When The Going Gets Tough!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: When The Going Gets Tough! Reply with quote

When The Going Gets Tough!

By Maurice Ali

Me at the CRTC back in the day; this time I wear a suit!

I thought I had rounded the corner on this string of bad luck, but it just gets worse. The good news in all this is that there are no health issues and the company and projects are just humming along fine. What is killing me by a thousand cuts are the little things that add up rob you of what time you have and distract you from the necessary tasks at hand. I set the foundations up well and we made it to the end of the experiment. I purchased the equipment beforehand because I figured things would get tight later one, the corporations can run on vapors, nobody is shutting the doors on them now. It is the little things.

One unforeseen trap we fell into is that the companies individually can be managed by myself and not jump to a higher level of management that would kill it because of the larger logistics. What I did not see was the conglomeration's effect that raised that level of organization through synergy. Any mistakes are now multiplied by 4! For example, I have to keep an eye on four bank accounts, seems simply but add it into everything else and things get complicated..... The companies are real and registered provincially and federally. They - the government - are now calling my bluff and demanding I do things their way, the way much larger corporations do things. Like on-line filing of documents mostly using MS Office 2007 for one. If I was just fooling around with nothing else to do, this would be a good time to ease everyone into using Excel and Quark and getting a copy of Office 2007. But this learning curve is a bit much when we are trying to get a show on the air.

Then there are the personal issues. I am divorced and have no real responsibilities to speak of. Even so, the house needs maintenance and the car needs repairs. I got lucky during the experiment as things were very quiet and I could concentrate on making the series. Well it is pay back time and things got off to a roaring start with the water meter breaking and things snowballing from there. Like the companies, issues by themselves were not a big deal, however, together they become taxing. Add to this lack of sleep and you get my predicament.

I distracted myself by building that old DELL laptop, it now sports 250gig hard drive and all our applications now work on it including AVID and Pro-tools. The AVID was a bonus because it had the same type of graphics card I use in the editor and the chipset was designed into the program when I bought the software. A new laptop would not work with it and hamper my efforts to carry our projects to production houses - the use of Vista being the biggest problem as all our applications are for XP. I also distracted myself by working on the roof of the house getting things ready for winter and such. That was a chore but was surprisingly refreshing.

Yah man, go and laugh at me - life can be funny at times.....

In short, things are still crappy but my attitude to them is much more positive. Last week In wondered if it was really worth it - not that I would ever close shop - but just wondering if it was worth it. Now things are even worse but with experience you learn to just compartmentalize, prioritize and tackle things one at a time. Right now it is Don's show and with the laptop set up I can make a reasonable example of a small time businessman. Yes, I will soon be doing calls to companies just like when I was in sales. Fun times ahead.....

I always found this uplifting; how many of you run a real newspaper.....
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: