Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
Trolls Of Toronto

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Trolls Of Toronto Reply with quote

Trolls Of Toronto

By Maurice Ali, Journalist

Toronto, Canada - There is a subterranean culture that lives beneath the affluent lifestyle of the lake shore community of downtown Toronto. This hidden society are the "down and out" of regular society. Most people prefer not to think of them; and if they do - they think of drunks, drug abusers and the mentally ill. Not the type of people to have wandering the streets at night.....

There is a movement by the city fathers to have these "shanties" torn down because they were in violation of municipal code. The first demolition took place on May 27, 2004; and more demolitions are to take place commencing on orders given on or about the start of June. There is a philosophical argument to be made for a citizen being able to choose a life on the streets, surely not the choice for most.....but still a choice that can be done with dignity. However this choice is often obscured by preconceived notions of who these people are. Most think of them as dirty, good for nothing, burdens on society. So with this topic in mind, yours truly, went forth to investigate these so-called "Trolls Of Toronto".

The next area earmarked for destruction was the area of Spadina and the Gardner Expressway in downtown Toronto. I rushed down there with camera and such to get a last glimpse of true freedom in modern society..... I looked around but could not see anything, is this the place they were talking about? The corner of a bridge that marked the location was festooned with signs promoting the affluent condominium living to be had overlooking the lake, and as luck would have it a red Ferrari passed me by. Where were the homeless? I decided to look around and then crossed the bridge to the south end. The most obvious spot would be under the bridge, but the area was fenced off and a golf course was present on the other side. However, I spied a hole in the fencing and climbed thorough careful not to be hit by any errant golf balls, and came across one such shanty.

The entrance was closed off by fencing which was opened up by the occupants and garbage greeted you as you came in. For the first time I saw semi-permanent "sleeping quarters" under this bridge - could people really be living here? I looked around for evidence and found lots; wine bottles, condoms and most interestingly.....needles..... Perhaps the stereotypes were correct? Then I heard voices and movement at the entrance.....

The people who entered this "home" gave me a start.....standing before me was a clean-cut young man and a rather attractive young women. I asked if they lived here and that I was doing a story about the homeless and their plight under the current evacuation orders. What followed was an intelligent, thoughtful interview with a man who people would never think to be living on the streets.....but there he was.

Click here for the audio interview with the young man

After the official interview, we still talked municipal politics and he mentioned his plans to help the homeless buy helping to build a shelter and that he was also interested in journalism. I - ever at the ready, gave them some of my cards and told him that he was welcome to post on this board if he wished.....time will tell.

So what do we make of this? Well, once again the preconceptions of the type of people who live this lifestyle are turned upside down. Also, where do these people go when their homes are torn down? Toronto Mayor's special adviser on housing - Sean Goetz-Gadon - claims the evacuation is based on safety concern due to residential construction. The city also states that their outreach programs will house those who wish accommodation and that many have taken the city up on the offer. The offer usually consists of two thirds of their welfare cheque going to accommodation provided through the city and about one hundred dollars a month for other living expenses. To some this is an escape; but others would just rather live the life they have been living, and isn't that their choice?

I presented the evidence you see here in the order that I obtained them. It is up to you to decide if the individual I talked to was incapable of living his life as he saw fit.....or having the state step in and force a lifestyle choice. Freedom of movement and self determination can mean many things to many people. Who are we to judge what another considers a good and proper life?

Comments And Discussion
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Exclusive Reports From Fortressoffreedom.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: