Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
A Social Club Of One.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 290, 291, 292

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short and sweet.....

We are submitting the the Toronto International Film Festival today!

We have little chance, but we went further than we thought at Sundance. Plus we are in a Canadian category this time so a chance, maybe.....

Still everyone is excited. Laura will make the announcement but for all who worked on The Fortress Experiment and Real Life Real Lives - GOOD LUCK!

Later.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceMq8K_UkyI&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura wrote:
Real Life: Real Lives In Consideration at TIFF!

By Laura Tommasone

TIFF Confirmation!

The Canadian short called Real Life: Real Lives is now in consideration at the Toronto International Film Festival. The Toronto Film Festival (TIFF) is one of the three most important film festivals in the world. We are honored to have a chance at a screening at the festival!

All of us hope for the best for our chances at TIFF and hope the festival goes well regardless!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt8942206

FORTRESS OF FREEDOM: BRINGING THE MASS MEDIA TO THE MASSES!

Laura wrote:
The Fortress Experiment In Consideration at TIFF!

By Laura Tommasone

TIFF Confirmation!

The Canadian Feature length documentary called The Fortress Experiment is now in consideration at the Toronto International Film Festival. The Toronto Film Festival (TIFF) is one of the three most important film festivals in the world. We are honored to have a chance at a screening at the festival!

All of us hope for the best for our chances at TIFF and hope the festival goes well regardless!

http://thefortressexperiment.com.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt8770798

FORTRESS OF FREEDOM: BRINGING THE MASS MEDIA TO THE MASSES!

So they actually accepted our two films and we are now in consideration. We find out what our fate will be in late August. The most interesting thing is how happy and upbeat all the young people are around here. You can tell them they have little chance but they don’t care. Most of my gang I found living on the streets; I gave them a purpose in life and let them be all they could be. I guess all they ever wanted was a chance as before they had no chance. So a chance they will get!

Realistically I think The Fortress Experiment has the best chance as it’s in a protected category of Canadian Feature Documentary. If it actually gets looked at they may jive to the idea and where it has been and we may have a chance. So we do have a very slight chance – but a real chance this time. I won’t mute the enthusiasm of others and will just go with it. They have their chance – and with a chance – anything can happen!

I’ll leave it there and not try to be a wet blanket on it all. They are all big shots until late August. Then I may show them how to get distribution by doing it myself – what an idea! But that’s just me – I don’t need social approval for anything…..

The record label may have a new artist, but again, nothing exists until they sign a contract and we aren’t there yet…..

I feel like a man on a pogo stick. One moment it’s the Positive Mandate for AI, then the TIFF submissions, and then the music. It never ends, and just after a really brutal two months. Everyone is fine and back home now. Things are sort of back to normal. And now we are just racing forward on all cylinders!

Goodnight…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZt4_RM_6aM&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long weekend.

First is wash the car since it’s been a few weeks. Maybe mow the front lawn. The squirrel seems gone for good as things are quiet around here!

I’m still telling people about TIFF and why we aren’t at Cannes. Cannes is happening right now as we speak. With Cannes you apply differently. Our short is too long (ours is over 17 minutes and their cut off is 15 including credits) and thus disqualified. The feature qualifies but to apply it is upwards of 500 bucks, then ship the DCP (through their shipper) probably with French subtitles and you are up to like 3,000 bucks. And then you get rejected.

Not for me!

I will work on the papers for our remaining advocacy - especially the positive mandate for AI. And we shall see how it goes. The bad news has stopped for now and we are back on track.

Goodnight.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpO3yyiVSkg&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long weekend…..

So far I finished mowing the lawn and hosing down the garage after all the salt and crap was left on the floor! But now it’s onto the advocacy. Now, I should be the perfect misanthrope, the guy roasting marshmallows on an open fire as the world descends into chaos as the result of human stupidity. So how did I end up working for society that treated me so badly?

Well the plus side to having me on team human is that I have seen and personally know all the ways humans fail and thus I am best suited to point out these deficiencies and how best to correct them. But that still does not answer the question as to how I ended up on team human.

Sam with Shane at like 15 (2005/2006).

Well I guess Samantha is the best example. So Sam (as we call her) came to my attention when she tagged along with Shane to check out his CD sales at Sam The Record Man (2005/2006). She was like this 15 year old emo girl at the time. She then started working for us and especially during the FOFSTOCK Concert in 2011 and decided this was going to be her career going forward!

Sam with the FOFSTOCK Contract in 2011!

So now in 2019 Sam is still with us and has a three month old kid. I get to see this kid in all sorts of get ups like a Raptor’s sweater or a Batman outfit. So from my point of view I am not only doing it for Sam or Emily or any of the young folks that came onboard and helped out, but also for their kids. Sam’s kid injected himself into the narrative even before he was born as butting into our work as Sam was doing stuff for us with his kicks – too funny! So you may have no family yourself, but all those around you in the advocacy do and you feel those attachments cementing your future to go to bat for them and make society a better place. And that is how I got suckered into all this.

Sam with the newborn in 2019!

Just in case you wanted to know…..

I may also go downtown and check out some acts for a change. Still looking for a female lead Numatal band. They now come in all races these days. All these women screaming or growling. But this is one growing genre despite what some may say…..

Later…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeOSgsJJ12M&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fell asleep at noon and half the day is gone!

And good weather - what a waste!

But I am getting work done in the advocacy. Now working on sections for all of them at the same time, a few weeks ago I couldn’t even do that. And so now you see why I did the outside stuff first.

I am also watching movies and the audio commentary. Right now it’s the movie “Gold”. I like how he used an Alexia and video for the first “real” part and then 35mm film and anamorphic lenses for the rest to get that dreamy look. Also like a shot where he slowly dropped the lights around a main character until it was just the character to give that character emphasis.

Anyway this is today so far...
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday was a total waste with me just enjoying the Sun and sleeping. Monday should be more productive with more work on the papers for the remaining advocacy.

I should have all the time in the world but I feel the pressure to get this stuff done and out there. In a month we should do a little bit more n the positive mandate for humanity. But I want at least a skeleton of each of the remaining advocacy in place and just keep working on pieces of them. People I know just keep dying on me. Everyone else gets older and felled by the usual aspects of old age. Canes are all around me though I don’t use one – yet….. Just constant reminders of what’s ahead. There are the young people around me who don’t have those problems but when I retire for the day my other family responsibilities are there and can’t be ignored.

FOF website October 17, 2003!

So you feel the pressure of time. You hear footsteps behind you. Colleagues in advocacy are retiring, with new people who have no attachment to you at all. You realize just how delicate things are right now and changes can upset or derail everything. So you move quickly to finish the rest off. What about other aspects of my life? There are none like family and the rest. That advocacy and media stuff is all I have created and that is what is important to me and what I protect. I did the math, you can’t have both family and this – one or the other and I chose this path. The bridges are burned! It must have full expression of its ideas currently under me.

So that’s’ the plan right now. Keep at the advocacy and keep fostering creativity in all its forms.

Goodnight…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9FyLsfDzw&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did make progress on the entire advocacy but it was basically one wasted long weekend opportunity.

I got more sleep than I needed. That is probably a good thing in the end as I usually go without during the week. But this weekend was sort of depressing with it really getting depressing on Monday. Nothing in particular, just the realization of what the future holds and that it is not the rosy picture it was when you were young and starting out. Anyway, we had a rough two months and while that was going on you are ready for the fight and full of energy. But as before, it is when things turn and get better, and then you start to show the effects of that battle. So I guess that is going on right now. We have started to get good luck, but you get depressed.

I am taking a harder look at running things more like a business. That part is easy. I also am giving myself a little bit more luxury as I see things may be coming to an end in a few years. Take, for example, I got a new laptop bag a month ago. Not another vinyl one but leather and larger but not too large so I can carry a presentation if I have too or carry more stuff with me into the cabin if I have to. Stuff like that.

But I have to hurry up and get things done before other things start to close up on me. Nothing wrong with me yet, but those around you need attention and you have to get things done while you can. Anyway, that is what is going through my mind. I did do some more work on the papers so even though I’m bitching I am doing more than I could before.

Goodnight…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXbDQ0_xCgk&feature=share
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 290, 291, 292
Page 292 of 292

Jump to: