Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
A Social Club Of One.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 287, 288, 289 ... 414, 415, 416  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I’m back in the FOF saddle again.

Two things I have to do:

1. Make a trailer for the movie.
2. Make the audio commentary even if it is a shitty version but do it and just keep working on it!

The problem with the trailer is that people have become too used to fantastic things in movies. I laugh when I see a Jack Ryan ad with him holding a gun and a posture and expression as if he was shopping for toilet bowl cleaner at Costco while a nuclear bomb blows up in the background. What a pile of incredible crap that I have to compare our real life documentary too! Doing things other people only dream about is what we did - but when I sit down in front of the Avid editor I come up blank in terms of making it look exciting. Seeing our first TV show air after Saturday Night Live was exciting and back then nobody was doing what we were doing. We were one of the first! On channel three and you could watch it with rabbit ears! But thirteen years later with YouTube and the like, it all seems tame now. Who watches TV with an antenna anymore? We produced music in a world famous studio – but now you can do it in your basement! How do I make that exciting. We made our first newspaper and our first issues were exciting and displayed alongside some of the largest papers in Canada. We all know what happened to newspapers. Try finding a newspaper box now – but when we started they were all over the place like on every corner…..

The concert was still cool though! The movie was also cool but who trailers about the movie itself…Hehehehehehe….. Sooner or later an idea will come and I’ll let you all see a low rez version of it.

But I have to do at least a base craptastic version of the audio commentary… Probably cut it into chapters and just do the audio for each and paste them into the timeline. Then add the others into separate audio tracks and mixdown in to one at the end.

So that is Sunday In a nut shell. Basically right now is just finish the movie and get the DVDs out there. Then try form some on-line distribution and then move on.

Back to advocacy.

I hate to say this but I have yet to see anyone really wow me with creative intelligence yet at the UN. It’s actually like being in university again. Sure some smart folk in the traditional sense. But where are the creative people with Ideas to rock the house down! None yet and that is a revelation of sorts. Hell, they now have quantum computers that can turn back time in physics simulations – but we still live socially in ways that are truly medieval! We have to learn to change and accept new ideas – or else! So we keep at it disseminating ideas. Sooner or later some kid will want to show their ideas on the world stage and maybe IAIJ could help them because nothing like it existed when I was in my prime. So just keep doing what we are doing…..

Goodnight…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V69XYIRjKww&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are making real progress with the movie now!

First is that I think I have the preview now. I just got it from the start of the movie with me at the UN saying we just made history and then on to the explanation of the experiment and then Shane doing the intro with the title graphics and fade to grey. There and done, but I will sit on if for a bit and see if my opinion changes.

Next is the audio commentary. Avid allows you to add voice-overs with the audio punch-in tool which I got to work! Problem is using the computer sound card adds hiss and then you have all the computer background noise as well. The better strategy is me putting the movie on my cellphone and sending the audio to the camcorder with those high quality microphones and get thee best audio that way. That will probably be the plan going forward.

So Sunday rocked with me getting back into things again!

Goodnight…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll pass the movie onto some other people but it seems the synch problem has been sorted out!

Back top this setup for the audio commentary!

So now I will probably jazz up the trailer at the beginning and end and save that for some spot on the DVD and then the audio commentary. Maybe some stills and the DVD case artwork and we are basically good to go!

Coming up on a month from the UN trip. Time is starting to fly when before it was at a standstill. It is good that I have some down time to take things as I wish. Much is going on outside of the advocacy and I would hate to have the pressure of it all at once. So I take things easy now. The audio commentary and the rest of the DVD stuff are now looked at as escapism and a hobby to take your mind off other things. I still have taxes and taxes and other office stuff - It never ends. Last week it was home reno work at my dad’s place. Stuff that falls on me because everyone is getting older. That isn’t my life but the life of my contemporaries. I did finish The Fortress Experiment. Small stuff could have stopped it at all sorts of moments, but this thing went the distance and it may not quite be over yet. The Fates seem to have their eye on this one.....

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much going on.....

Too much. Anyway I still have people evaluating the movie. Trailer/Preview is set.

We will be looking at Apple streaming service through a third party.

That’s it for now.....

Later.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a bit more time to get on this machine and update things.

So much is going on in the private life it impinged on the advocacy and commercial stuff. But no matter, all is good on those fronts. Like I said several people are looking at the movie but there is enough for me to go ahead with having a third party go to bat for us to get on a streaming service if they find us worthy. No guarantees but we will try. You have to try. So we have that on the go and Apple is the target.

I also had to top up commercial accounts and we have so many companies to keep an eye on. Then there are the taxes and such – It just never ends. You just have to put your nose to the grindstone and get it done!

Physically I am fine and mentally I’m good and I have the resources to do whatever we have to do. It’s all about the other stuff. So that has been occupying my time. Just like everyone else. Nobody has a perfect life. You just keep at it and there isn’t much more to say that that. Things are low priority now so the break is welcome. It never lasts but I just rolls with the circumstances and I’m rolling with a break from the heavy action of lately. It almost seems unnatural to be bouncing against a deadline. You have to relearn to take things easy and actually be lazy every now and then…..

I did see another newspaper box disappearing as I drove to the mall. A little bit inside of me just dies when I see this. Newspaper boxes used to be everywhere for you to pick up a paper. Now they are a rarity. But we do have one of the last newspaper boxes in our office. I finally got that!

Our newspaper box!

Our newspaper box with newspapers!

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a couple of things to touch on. As I said before more vetting and evaluation of the movie goes on. It’s more tedious than I ever thought but we spent years and thousands of hours on it, so it matters.

The Fortress Experiment production still!

We did take it to the end though. That is huge because as I get older I think about my mortality more and you constantly go back and evaluate your life. Was the whole experiment and advocacy so far worth it? I’d say yes! We justified and got an important idea disseminated at a vortex of power where it could have some effect. I always mused that is about as much influence as a single individual could possibly have. Most others go in with an army of followers at their back.

But in the realm of ideas you only need one, and last month it was me. I also had the necessary background of a business education and that degree in philosophy. I also was isolated as a child and disassociated myself from mainstream society testing out fringe societies and developing theories on human society and development. You could almost see a linear process that would indicate some form of intelligence since childhood. But it could just as well have been the job finding the person to encapsulate it. I wasn’t doing much of anything at the time so I guess The Fates or whatever picked me as in: “The man doesn’t choose this job, it’s the job that chooses the man!” (Sorry for the “man” reference but that was how it was always used back in the day).

One guy I know had a health scare and then decided to start his own company which promptly failed so sometimes it doesn’t work out. But it sort of worked out for me so far. And I would have said this in 2015 except it’s 2019 and I’m still pushing and doing things. So no regrets for me but you do take your chances doing this type of thing.

Dreamer beware.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojUwRmTofi8&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was one rough week…

On so many levels with so many people this week was rough and raw. And at our ages it will not get better, you can stabilize it but when there is change it will only get worse. I am loyal to family and friends and I don’t run away. You keep up your responsibilities to all including the advocacy for all of humanity. The only thing I personally have going is good health and ability but for how long that will last is just conjecture; but personally I am at 100 percent right now. But everyone else is falling apart; everyone in the experiment is aging. Some like Sam have started new lives as parents and others a bit older are just going through the motions. The best times in your lives is when you are settled and can stop time and delve into hobbies and not think about mortality and all the rest. But it never lasts and reality breaks down those walls and you have to deal with fallibility, finiteness and the reality that everyone has only so much time. I will always have on-going responsibilities so suicide is never an option, and you actually could look at those who have it with envy – as bizarre as that seems. Years and years ago I watched people working till their last day on earth because they had to support a family and did so to the end. They died just like that and they didn’t have that worry anymore.

Its morbid stuff and all and when you talk to others who are your contemporaries they are all in the same boat. All you can do is just keep at it. Help those you care for as much as you can - be realistic and see reality for what it is. I‘m going to be exercising just a little bit more and improving my diet just a bit more. It sucks a bit when you have responsibilities but what can you do. And on top of all the personal stuff I have this other FOF/IAIJ stuff that sucks at my tit or tries to bleed me dry.

But the sun will rise in a few hours.

I tried to sleep but only got a couple of hours. What I will do is go to Starbucks early and look at some cars as that perks up my feelings. Walk around a bit even though it is minus 6 right now – when the fuck will spring arrive damn it! I’ll probably try my hand at a chapter of the audio commentary. That is now my escapism. Then put the new bag in the vacuum and clean up the place.

I don’t want to be the last man standing! It would be nice to just find out you had two days to live and just enough time to say goodbye to everyone and just wash all of it out of your mind and just leave this reality, this earth. That’s not happening to me. You have to be the rock for others, and maybe even humanity in our own little advocacy way. I really envision my end being a slow mental slide to a living death. How long that will take and how effective I can be is anyone’s guess. But all the life clocks are clicking down. There is no escape, there are not deals, and things can get very real all of a sudden. And I have it really easy right now compared to others.

The sun will rise in a few hours. Let’s see how tomorrow goes…..

Goodnight…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Y0ekr-3So&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were down for awhile today.

Nothing I did but it reminded me to make some backups. Normally something fails in the forums because it was only the forum, but here is where that phpBB3 board I never started becomes a “canary in the coal mine.” When the main forums went down I checked the new forum and it was also down so it was with the server, so just wait. If the main one was down but the new one was up it was my problem. If both went down but the servers were fine: Enemy action! But we are back in action.....

Sorry for the morbid post yesterday but three people in my life with real health issues is a bit much. I’m not getting into it. but it had an effect here so I acknowledged it. I’m fine but I ate at KYC today and that was a mistake. Back to good food now.

The best thing to do now is get back in routine. Stay in routine and handle things as they happen. As for me, I just feel it in my bones that there will be an intellectual fracas in the future and I will be a part of it. So the dude stays healthy and fit for that. That is the future and there is the here and now and dealing with that.

But stay in routine.....

Goodnight.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhw7pFWNZV4&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that craptastic week ended on a craptastic note. Nothing major but a real annoyance or bad luck, the small stuff, the way I like it. Still it sucks!

So it’s late Sunday afternoon and I had some leftover Ecell gum from the UN trip on the kitchen table and figured I may as well use it up. First one was a bit hard but I broke the white coating and started chewing on that. Then I figured I’d have another and again it was hard so I squeezed down on it and heard/felt something break. It was one side of a tooth! Crap! The inside of the first small molar was gone and now in my hand. No pain and all three sides and the amalgam was intact so the root was protected. But a major chunk of it was gone from the gum line up!

I took a look at that tooth fragment that came off. If you are a car guy or gal it looks like a body panel that looks fine on the painted side but all rusted on the other! Yup, that’s what it looked like. It makes you wonder if the rest of you is like this. Anyway I have to make an appointment with the dentist and see what can be done. It sucks but life goes on.

Life goes on but I can’t hide from the future anymore. I am getting old and retirement seems a long time away but may come up on you faster than you think. I feel fine but sooner or later I am gonna have to have to confirm it. What happens to the corporations and the advocacy when the big life change happens?

Nobody wants to think of this stuff but it is there in front of you right now. Everything is sort of comfy cosy right now but little changes could throw it all into chaos. Mortality stuck it’s nose in the door and shocked everyone back to reality! But the long and short of it is that I have to get my tooth fixed.

Audio commentary channel is the one on the bottom!

In other news: I continue work on the audio commentary. I will do it with the audio punch in. Then listen and make changes. Then make a proper audio file and put that in the timeline. Then I’ll get cast and crew to add to it. I called Shane up and he is into it and we will do the same for his short called Real Life: Real Lives. Things still carry on.

Goodnight...
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nothing day…..

Just thinking about February. Even if nothing happens something happened and this is not over! There is always Plan B and Plan C. As I said before I went there and still after four years I haven’t met anyone there that knocked my socks off. They all seem like typical intelligent – but normal – people. Where are those like me who were disenfranchised from human society almost from birth, who live their lives not on a “man to man” basis but a “man to society” basis in my case?

This is not a case of intelligence or even genius. It is being able to dissociate yourself from the whole of humanity and society in order to see things truly from outside. This vantage lets you see things others won’t because they bought into a human universe where many things were taken for granted and never questioned because that reality was developed in their mental core. I hope that explains some of it. Some easy things for me are probably impossible for others just because this all happened when I was young and the plasticity of the mind could allow it. It just happened in my case but would we really mess with infants to do that? Probably not! But in my case the damage was done and by some miracle I operated from a moral imperative that put aside all that hate and isolation and made me help those that made my life difficult. Then I set things up to go to the UN and make things happen by disseminating new ideas. I guess that puts one in a rare place but in 7.4 billion I can’t be the only one. I can’t be the only one and I am getting old so I have to find the others.

It can’t just be me!

I can’t be the only one I’m sure, but maybe I won’t find them at the United Nations or its special agencies. The big score would be to find one like yourself and be better in every way. Then I would be free, but I would probably just become his or her minion – but that hasn’t happened yet. I can’t be the last one standing! Maybe in the mad house or insane asylum or some cult – who knows? But I was warned about this when I expressed my interest in philosophy and especially metaphysics and epistemology. One teacher told me to be careful and not lose my mind. That never happens, either due to my mongrel physiology or whatever; I never lost that pragmatic base to sand on. But I can leave this man-made universe we live in and look at things from afar. I can do it at will, anytime anywhere, as it’s apart of who I am. It has its advantages and disadvantages and I am running out of time right now. That pragmatic thing again.

Later…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2UuczusHc0&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the day off....

It was sunny so I looked at cars and walked around. It felt good and that’s all that matters. Tomorrow the tooth gets looked at. Right now I’m eating on it. No temperature sensitivity, even eating nuts. I just want them to fill it in. We will see how that goes.

Later.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we do have going on here is creative ideas…..

The one thing that gave us access especially in the early days was creative ideas. It first started with TV when we tried to get our first show on the air. That was a battle with Global TV but we had our proponents actually inside of Global TV. Our ideas of free expression and access struck a chord with the young folk there but not with the establishment. Some didn’t want to budge as they saw me as the pioneer of an idea that would put them all out of work eventually. That didn’t happen but that was the concern. So the quality control guy refused to budge on authorizing the show to air. We had to go to a place called Creative Post to try to meet requirements and we did it all old school there so we still did it with the tools we used from the start. But still, there was pushback probably on principle and what happened is that the quality control guy went on vacation and it was passed by one of his underlings. So the show aired after Saturday Night Live and that was our first big score!

http://fortressoffreedom.com/TVShowStart.wmv

After that we decided to expand into the media landscape. The newspaper was started – another sensation but we could do that on our own, as well as the book publishing company. But it was when we got into the music business that things got even more interesting. When we first started setting up things with Metalworks Studios I had a meeting with the manager basically to see if we were worthy of their consideration to even be there. In 2005 the music industry was still viable but the writing was on the wall and they were looking for new ideas. And here I came talking to them about making music and incorporating it into reality TV which was just beginning to happen around then – and we now had the resume to be taken seriously. At that meeting, when they found out I had access to one of the largest networks in Canada, they got real defensive as there was this traditional uppity attitude of the TV people over the music people, so I could tell there was some abrasive attitude there when I mentioned our TV stuff. The guy made a quip about the useless drummers on bands and laughed but I didn’t laugh along – this was a test by Gill Moore the drummer from Triumph who owned the place- so I passed and we continued. They were genuinely interested in the idea and set up the dates for us that eventually would carry on for almost three quarters of a year at the place. In that time we literally recorded alongside the who’s who of the music world. When I thought about name dropping there were almost too many names to mention. Yes it has come to that. I had access to the place like any real producer and people there were interested in my ideas.

In retrospect, if you are truly creative and have ideas you will be hanging around other creative and well known people if you get through the doors or screens that shield them from the masses. Everyone needs ideas and if you are creative and hanging around you will be part of that crowd and they will pick your brain for ideas they can use to stay creative and relevant. So like a flick of the switch I became a cool guy, just like that. I could name drop and such. I was sharing and mixing schedules with some of the biggest names in music period. I was one of the ‘in’ crowd. One of the funniest moments was when I was picking up something there and this guy Mike Bullard – who used to be the Canadian version of Johnny Carson then – came running up to me and shaking my hand and introduced himself. He got canned by CTV from his show and was just doing voice overs for this cheesy cable show called House Capades. Someone there told him about us crazy people at FOF and their reality TV show ideas and he wanted in. But I told him the truth that it was smalltime and nobody was backing me. We still talked – but that is how a guy with creative ideas gets the attention of people.

Trust me, if you have new ideas you can go places.

Slash posing with Kevin!

Other people in the industry eventually had the same insight and went where we wanted to go. Slash for example went into movies with Slasher Films. We did a 40 minute interview with him at Canadian Music Week (2010 - still have his email and phone number on my cell phone) which was about the same time he started Slasher Films in 2010 which culminated in his first major film “Nothing Left to Fear”. That film actually had a real 2 million dollar budget and all, but the critics were brutal. You have to be insane to make a movie, unless you are a true masochist, who in their right mind would ever want to make a movie! Oh – wait…..

http://fortressoffreedom.com/Slash_Interview_Part_2.wmv

But if your organization is happening, it always seems that creative people are always available to pick your brain. It just always happened that way with us. Other people would get nowhere and meet no one, but there we were. For example, I literally could walk in among the Barenaked Ladies for a whole afternoon with nobody batting an eye as they knew I was this producer doing cool stuff. It’s like if you’re one of them you have your membership card and can do things others are denied. Even the FOFSTOCK concert, we got one of the best – if not the best – concert dates at Yonge-Dundas Square – the August 1 civic holiday in the summer. You have to be a sponsoring bank to get that date, but we had the buzz, and the resume to stand above and beyond the others and we got that special date!

It is a running theme with our adventures and continues into the UNESCO and then UN advocacy. If you are creative and have ideas, doors of all kinds and opportunities to speech to the movers and shakers in any environment will be open to you, because the world needs new ideas and the people at the top of any profession or organization desperately need new ideas to keep them there and keep things developing. So that’s basically what has been going on with us on this adventure. We just seem to keep doing things in a big way. But only for ideas and expressing those ideas. The physical manifestations of getting our stuff out here require far more money and really have to be tailored to the market like any business plan. I had to deal with ordinary people and put them out there. That works for advocacy and ideas but not for commercial entities like networks. So in a way all the music and movies and newspapers and books only have as much interest and value as they prop up my ideas they were used for. So I get the access and get to present my ideas, but everything else is just supporting material. That is the quick and dirty explanation of our relationship to everyone outside of the organization.

And it just continues. But this can’t just be about me but about the organization, which is why we have to recruit and establish a base of creative people to take advantage of the opportunities for access the organization has. So that’s the long and short of FOF and IAIJ. We just keep doing what we keep doing.

No regrets…..

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went to the dentist and it was all bad news.

Looks like I will get root canal for a tooth that has a healthy tooth. It has a filing now and honestly I am fine with it as is. Actually I am really happy with it so it bugs me to destroy more teeth and drill a post into it and build up the tooth with a cap that has a limited lifespan. I would have preferred just the filling. But what do I know. So the appointment is already made and its Friday so I guess I am screwed. This will be done in stages and will cost some. I really should just get philosophic about it and remember nothing physical has happened to me lately and something always happens eventually so it is just root canal and a crown then so be it. If that is the deal The Fates are offering up as some bad luck I guess I should just go with the flow.

Nobody goes through life with everything perfect. I knew this one woman who was taking care of her teeth and even was having them straightened and then died from cancer. There is no rhyme or reason to it all. But stuff will happen to you so it may as well be teeth that you could actually live without. It’s now over a month from the UN trip and you wonder if it is basically done with it all. Technically I still have some cards up my sleeve, but the reality is that what happened at the United Nations last month unfolded as I wanted it. I wanted to stay healthy and be there and get to make the speech which happened and get to make that side event which was better than I thought. I got what I wanted and now it’s payback time. Just all sorts of miserable bad luck. The tooth was just more of the same. One dentist figured we could possibly do the crown without the root canal – they took the x-ray and no deal as in just more bad luck. Your teeth are falling apart and another guy I talked to Thursday night broke a chunk of his tooth off last weekend just like I did. It happens, its life and expect more of the same as we go along. Its baked into our DNA, as in you will get old and die. Something will get you in the end.

And on that cheery note I bid you goodnight…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vIT2da6N_o&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking it easy and watching movies (right now it’s Haywire).

It still pisses me of I have to have root canal done on a healthy root with a healthy nerve. But I have resigned myself to the process. I figure the tooth is gone and if it is still there in a few weeks then consider yourself lucky. I am not Superman but an ordinary guy and stuff starts to fall apart at my age. It is what it is…..

In other news: actually the big news is that I’m pulling the trigger on the AI, technology’s negative influence on people, and the Athabasca Tar Sands. I will start work on all three with emphasis on the AI and the techno studies first. We are still very much involved with the Positive Mandate but these things are like targets of opportunity and if something comes up at the UN or its special agencies we need to be prepared to take advantage of it. But it was happy relief to get back in the saddle again ad get new initiatives up and running again!

Later…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the one good thing about starting up the AI and Tech initiatives is that I have more direction in my life now.

After the UN stuff in February I started to flounder with regards to doing stuff. There is still stuff on the commercial side but the things that define me will be the advocacy. So this start of a new chapter will be welcomed. The positive mandate stuff is still ongoing – just to remind you guys and it is bigger in many ways but I can multi-task. I spent time with the family. Everything was cool. You wish things could stay just as they are with nobody dying or growing old. But it happens. But sometimes you just wish you could suspend time! Even me – Mr. Dorian Grey guy is mortal, just look at my cracked tooth from last week! So we don’t last forever, we get old and we will all die. It’s depressing when you wallow in it. And it will only get worse. You look back on your younger days immersed in your hobbies. You were young enough that you could suspend time. You had truly created an artificial environment where the usual rules of life didn’t apply. Of course they still did but for the limited time spent there it was the best!

Those days are gone and the countdown clock has started. Things will only get harder and worse. Before it was just getting access and money and all that. Now – sooner or later – it is health and ability to physically do things. No issues now but I see the specters in the future, but fear not I seem to still be Mr. Dorian Grey guy – for now at least.

Goodnight…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah5AR_KOn08&feature=share
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 287, 288, 289 ... 414, 415, 416  Next
Page 288 of 416

Jump to: