Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
A Social Club Of One.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 282, 283, 284 ... 414, 415, 416  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its back to routine.

I’m still doing movie stuff. While all the DCPs were revised after the premiere was done, other stuff remains. Stuff like a smaller QuickTime file for reference – that will probably take like 60 hours! I still have to pick up our DCPs and get a receipt from The Royal Cinema. I will probably try on Wednesday as everything should be back to normal. I still have to update a few web pages and that should be it. We will still apply to a few more film festivals even though I know it is futile. But we have to try if only to get a record of rejection for when I launch the lottery Film Festival. There will be plenty of anecdotal evidence for sure from others, but nothing beats personal experience so we keep pitching! As for the changes made, well the biggest argument on length only matters when you have bums in the theater. So we had one screening and maybe a few more. Kids can watch the entire movie end to end and that was the biggest surprise. They can watch it as is with no complaints. If we had wide distribution in actual theaters maybe a professional big time editor could chop 30 minutes off the thing without losing anything really, but it is still a two hour movie! But those who will watch it on disc or online somewhere in the future can take a break anytime they want, so I won’t go there. As for leaving the ending a mystery instead of the reveal at the beginning - I gave it serious thought, but we need that hook to get people invested in the story. The movie works as is, so why screw around with that formula. The others suggestions more technical and those actually got fixed.

United Nations Headquarters in New York City!

So hopefully after today much of the movie stuff will be gone and I can just concentrate on the UN. I love the fact I got everything I wanted to get in the movie – got into the movie – and no compromises that lead to any bad blood with me or any of the cast. It usually goes terribly wrong with a studio behind you messing about with things. We may try the TV series at a later time, but we shall see. I am just flabbergasted that the video could be shown on the big screen and still look good! Especially the SD material, as that was a total shocker! The pros screwed that up because they don’t give a f**k; but I did and if you actually saw their renders and mine you would be shocked too! I made it work! That was the biggest plus for me. When I mentioned I just watched the magnificence of my video in SD I was not kidding. It actually looks good on a 40’ screen!

But it is time to turn that page,
Time to move on to the next thing,
Time to cut back on Starbucks,
Time to exercise more and watch what I eat,
Time for the snow to fall,
Time for the season to change…..

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work has started and progressed with the speech and the side event.

It has started even though we don’t know if we will get the side event or the speech. But you have to do this ahead of time as there are only weeks after they make the announcements. What I do now is time the things, cut or expand for time and keep going. The speech already sounds good. If I get a chance to express myself to the Commission it sure looks like I could wow them with this speech. But we shall just have to see and it’s that subjective judgement again. It always comes down to that.....

Later.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update soaking in the tub.

Anyway, after I climb out of here it’s off for some exercise and Starbucks. I’ve started cutting back already having missed yesterday. Then I’ll time the speech and side event to get a rough idea where we stand on length. Also, for two days I have been waiting for a 720p render of the movie and that should be done today.

I emailed The Royal Cinema just to see when we could get back the DCPs as it is dragging on a bit now. And I have to take the patio sump pump out of its hole and pack it away for the winter. Also those squirrels in the attic.

Just go through the motions and do what you have to do. I’d tend to get excited about the UN stuff but we shall wait and see. This is the best way so as to avoid disappointment if nothing happens. More over it has an effect on my gang. They are used to being passed over. They are used to the “no” reply. They seem to think I can do anything but I can’t change people and their subjective judgment. And I’ve spent a lifetime trying. But this is a moment for me as all things, or options are open. All the time spent on business and philosophy, my life experience and The Whole Experiment is validated if we get to disseminate this idea and mandate proposal at the UN. It’s either very close now or a gazillion miles away, and for me there is no starting over...

Once again I have to face my fears about the subjective judgement of others and that impact on my life. The positive mandate is a good idea on so many levels it should have a hearing with the Commission for Social Development. Where is the hope for humanity if we can’t even allow ourselves to entertain new ideas to develop ourselves socially! Anyway we are now literally talking days to find out. Just make the play - that is all I can do.....

Goodnight.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update from the tub...

The 720p QuickTime file is done! I should be able to DVD off this but my old programs recognize it but want an update. Unfortunately the program is EOL. The program that created the file is EOL as of the end of the year too. But it is certainly possible so we shall see where all that goes. I want to make a traditional DVD with booklet and that 5.1 audio I paid through the nose for. Also a director’s commentary I loved to listen too. Then out it goes on sale through More Vision via Amazon.

One Friday I got a hold of someone at The Royal Cinema and got our DCPs! As of now the revised “Real Life: Real Lives” short is on the DCP and “The Fortress Experiment” feature length documentary is currently being transferred and should be done later today.

It turns out that our ad for Now Magazine made it to the real paper and our premiere is listed in the movie section! That is so cool! I’ve saved screenshots of the master PDF available on-line, but I want a physical copy. So after I deliver he remaining royalty checks I will mosey downtown and try to snatch an old copy if possible.

So that is the plan today. I need to snip one minute off the speech and we are good to go. Timing the side event should take place on Sunday.

Goodnight.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the essential stuff about the movie premiere is now done!

The full spread of the movie section!

I can now concentrate solely on the UN stuff. I should note that on Saturday I was keen to look for that hard copy of Now Magazine that had our movie premiere advert in it and I found it! I went down to Now Magazine offices as I figured they would have a couple of magazine boxes with maybe last issues and all that. Nope, only the current one and one box. They moved from this large building to renting some space in this shotgun shack office building – how the mighty have fallen in the internet world…..

The page with my advertisement!

So I had to try Ryerson University. Looking around I am still seeing old flyers stuck up on the activity boards – the big after Christmas clean out had not happen yet – I may have a chance….. Same thing as at Now Magazine headquarters, but wait! There is what looks like a Now Magazine on the floor in front of the entrance to the women’s washroom - hummm….. I pick it up and it is the December 20 version of the paper which supposedly has our ad in it. But the paper was not complete and was missing a few pages. I flipped through it hoping and got lucky as our ad was on the second to last page of that paper I had. Just a tiny advertisement but free and I love the way they did it with the “new documentary by Maurice Ali” – I so loved that! And what good company to be sandwiched in with Alfred Hitchcock on one end and Stan Lee on the other! I love the way I found it as it was a bit of an "ad venture" doing this. Anyway, I then celebrated by having a hot dog by Yonge-Dundas Square and then a mocha at Starbucks!

The actual advertisement!

So basically the movie stuff is done except for the occasional application to a film festival. We still have the film festival of our own but that is late next year. I am sort of free from all that now. So it is back to the UN stuff. I may take a trip to York University and see if I can find a complete copy, but I am rather smitten with this “special copy” I have now. I like a story behind everything in my life.

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late one but I have my first proper DVD of our movie.....

DVD playing on the default Windows 10 player!

It is basic but it works and the video is almost as good as the 720p file I used to make it! So I’ll pass it around and test things out. It should have 4 distinct chapters but only one shows up now. But we keep at it.

How it looks on the CyberDVD player!

On the better movie programs you will get better management so that was a surprise.

And so on.

The last vestiges of my movie premiere posters!

I did go to York University yesterday and no luck there. I did see many of my posters still up but on my way back to the car someone was taking them all down. I found one lone piece with part of my phone number on it. If that does not say “fini” I dont know what does. Now the DVD success means a visit to Starbucks even though I was to take a pass on Monday - but this accomplishment needed a celebration! And that is where we stand right now. Things purring away at a good pace - but that never lasts.....

Goodnight.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kSpbovY7u8&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super late one today.....

A late one but stuff got done. The side event presentation clocked in at 27 minutes which is just where I want to be in terms of time. Reading over the revised report shows up the usual errors, so much of the day was correcting those. Now I only see three and these should be done later tonight. So we are ready for the deadline of the 11th for sure which is when they start to choose. So all this could be for nothing but the report will have had several more proof reads at least.

And that was it for today. Stuff is getting done and there is not much more to say than that.

Make the play Maurice.....

Later.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side event is now moving along well enough.

I finished corrections on the report late last night an uploaded. I now have the text I will go by for the side event and just have to finish the PowerPoint presentation files. So I turn my attention to a possible speech directly to the Commission for Social Development. I only have to cut it down to three minutes and keep looking at it and we should be good to go on that front also,

On-line ad for Now Magazine!

The movie is still being talked about. I am archiving some stuff I come across on the new. We also have the on-line Now Magazine version of the movie ad:

On-line ad for Red Flag Deals!

There is even a RedDeals post about the movie:

Thankfully nobody commented about the move below. And that leads me to possible reviews. None yet and you never know what to think about that. It could be supportive but more likely a really scathing one. No review is better than scathing review as we are not done with the movie yet and a scathing review has impact on festivals and other content provider, so I will let sleeping dogs lie…..

You just push and push things alone. It could all go bad but the opposite could be true. I wanted this, so just follow the thing through and see what happens!

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speech is basically done and runs a few seconds under three minutes!

So the heavy lifting for the side event and the speech are done. The only thing left to do is apply to address the Commission and wait for the replies. I should remind everyone that we may get nothing. All this may have been in vain! But that is just life and I always sucked at the subjective judgment…..

But aside from the UN stuff, I am handing out copies of the DVD to interested folk and see if they have any issues with the product. When I get feedback I will start to make some improvements. And that is how boring the updates are right now. I honestly just want to rush out and sip on a Starbucks mocha and take a walk. But that is how it is doing things like this. I have made real progress but have little interest in waxing philosophic about life and such. That comes in quieter times. For now it is just all go-go-go!

Goodnight…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQTedx7l8wg&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I’m testing video with PowerPoint this morning and see how that goes.....

Now I’m thinking about things. Wondering if we get the side event, wondering if we get a chance to address the Commission. To most anyone else this is just some rather innocuous moment, but to me it has much more weight.

I spent most - no check that - all of my life dealing with social inequality and social exclusion. So I didn’t just take it, but instead came up with one solution to this that took 14 years but it is done. And basically everything I have done has lead me to this moment. So in that I’m here and I will now take stock of things.

Realize that I can only do what I can do. In the end other people decide if I get to speak or hold a side event at the United Nations. It always comes down to that. Even if I just go there and speak to the Commission and hold a side event, at the very least it would be cathartic as I did all I could to improve things and to change things. Completely being shut out would just make me laugh. Seriously I would just laugh. Humanity is what it is and if they can’t even allow themselves to listen too new ways to improve society - well then their fate is pretty much written. Being open to change and development keeps an open door to the future, anything can happen. But closing the door to new ideas is the final nail in the coffin for humanity.

At least I tried.

Years of my life and a ton of money. For me I guess there is some satisfaction that your engineering of Fortress and your strategy worked! You are here, now, all primed with all the tools to disseminate a great idea to the world at the only venue that really matters. You did this! But this is all I can do. My fellow human beings have to let me express myself. I am amused that the socially excluded guy needs social inclusion to help change the problem of social exclusion - but there you have it.

Ultimately worrying or obsessing about this has no effect on the outcome. But I do it anyway. I’m still just another emotional being and it matters to think about this. There are probably billions of disenfranchised people in this world that live lives that are less than they should be because the present state of social development is not perfect. And all of them feel helpless to change that - except for this guy typing this out soaking in his tub. In fact my own best friend lead a rather sad life because he was like me. Not quite as isolated as me, but he also bears the scars.

So this is all on me for all of them. Make the play and see what happens. This is all about you and yet much bigger than you - just make the play! Just make the play! You are a necessary part of change but you have to be there to ask for change! No professor living a comfy life and doing a study can do this - it has to come from the source and this source has all his ducks in order..... Society creates its monsters and this monster is at the gates with an important message. Make the play! But only time will tell.

Goodnight.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A busy day.

I washed the car and then got to work. I am making a better DVD. This one will have the FOF Logo on the menu and chapter pages. I should get the individual chapters in this version too. I hauled out my laptop and made sure that batteries worked. I then checked that I have the HDMI interface cable for the PowerPoint presentation. Then there is the usual stuff like washing clothes and all that. There is less than a month to go and I still have to plan like it is all going ahead.

An acknowledgment page when you apply for a side event.

As for the UN, well applications for side events is now closed so we should hear about that in a while. Anytime now we should be able to apply to speak to the Commission, but I will also apply to speak during panel discussions. So I will try all ways because this topic is close to me and even if I don’t talk about the positive mandate I need to speak for those in my situation now that I have a seat at that table. I have to try any and all means!

So as it stands I have three shots at this thing in February. The side event, making a statement to the commission and discussion during interactive panel discussion. Three shots. A lifetime of hurt for three shots. This is sort of like brain surgery for me and for the others outside of me. I want to correct a wrong in my life and the only way to do it is by social interaction. Me trying to reform society – how wack it that; and I have a chance, a small chance but a real chance. All you do is think about this now. But we will soon know what we get and make final preparations. But yes, not two but three shots at this…..

Goodnight…..

(NSFW)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wv2K3J__X0&feature=share
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late one today…..

I just got caught up in things but the actual DVD Disc is finished. I added the FOF logo background and then the next menu is divided into chapters that actually start at the natural chapters in the film; so that all makes sense now. The video quality is good considering the DVD is 16X9 standard definition video. There really isn’t anything more to do with that except make copies. So now it’s a new stick on DVD label for the movie and then a jacket that slips under the clear plastic wrap around the DVD case and this thing is ready to go for now. The actual DVD we will sell on Amazon will be the 8.5 dual layer disc with the Real Life: Real Lives short that follows and maybe some making of clips and such. Definitely the audio commentary from me and the cast. Maybe the 5.1 if it actually sounds worth it. And maybe subtitles though I’m not looking forward to doing all that!

So we have the TV rendering of the show and the DCP and now the DVD so that part of the archiving of the experiment is done…..

I turn my attention to the UN and making sure we apply to speak and such. All that remains is just to prepare. Expect less than how I make it out to be. In essence it will be just this guy making a speech with only a small group of people in this huge conference room. And because this event is closed to all except the Commission and UN member nations and NGOs with consultative Statue, expect a small showing at the side event. But with all that said, it matters to disseminate the positive mandate idea and The Fortress Experiment there anyway. Just disseminate it and let it sit and take hold. Nobody knows the future but not going there means nothing happens. And it is as simple as that…..

Even while doing this I am very aware of where I fit in society and my prospects for the future. It does get you down. The wasted years, the loneliness, and the isolation. The isolation really can test you, it makes you stronger to do what I am doing now, but living a normal life is a much more pleasant affair. But you only get what you get in life. You just have to take it. You just have to take it.

Later…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weekend was not that bad.

I had family stuff to do that I rarely mention here but it didn’t take away from the FOF and IAIJ stuff either. I made sure my laptop and accessories I used at the 2017 side event still worked so I don’t have to buy anything for the side event. But the big deal was finally getting the DVD done. That is one thing off my mind and you just move on.

Now it’s just interacting with the United Nations and see what if any involvement we will have this year. Shane said it well at the beginning of the movie when he said there was nothing realer than Fortress of Freedom. Just a bunch off ordinary people that want to improve their world! It may seem that I’m the only one but nothing could be further from the truth. Just that they are so out of their element at UNESCO and the UN it is very hard to get them to participate. This may change this year but we shall see. But we are for real, and I’m nobody’s puppet. I have a free hand and that would seem to be a rare thing. So I will try to make the best of it but they have to give me the ability to express myself there. Otherwise I am just like the protesters that use blow harms an placards right across the street from the UN. So that’s where we are right now, just in this holding pattern.

Stuff will happen soon.....

Goodnight.....
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quiet day for Tuesday.

I am just installing some apps on the latest laptop that I put the SSD in. Then it should be good to go for whatever I need to do. Aside from that I am deliberately trying to sleep more. I am also exercising more and cutting back on the junk food. Christmas time is done and no excuses anymore. I may even buy a new winter jacket and take that with me to New York.

So that is the situation. Basically wait and see, Enjoy the quiet moments because they never last – just like the movie premiere. I may even start on the stick on labels I will sue right now and maybe start working on the DVD case artwork. I have to get over this feeling that just taking things easy is wrong or cheating on things. You need quiet time to keep your blood pressure down and decompress. Lately I have been sort of forcing myself to get bored and this is probably a good thing for a “type A” personality.

So that’s what is happening now.

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s getting close to crunch time…..

Yes things will soon come to a head. I should warn all of you that maybe nothing at all will happen. There are no guarantees here. For example the UN has the United Nations Research Institute for Social Development. Last year they had an open call for ideas on social development and got over 1,000 of them. You would just get lost in that sea of academic papers! We are here to disseminate an idea so we needed something a bit more radical to get the word out. So you use what you have and we are trying to do it this way. But there are absolutely no guarantees! But we will try every way possible.

So just keep that in mind as the possible rejection email, or not response at all happens. Social development is of interest to everyone and we are nothing special in the eyes of the world. You just make the pitch and apply and see what happens. One thing in our favor is that was have a good idea that knits together many as aspects of the UN and as such it could work over there. But we are also sort of slinging stuff at a wall and hoping something sticks. Funny, I am listening to Woodstock stuff as I type this out. All that peace and love and where are we as the baby boomers retire? You need an idea that just clicks on the lights above people’s heads to provoke change – that is one way to get something out there to provoke change!

2017 55th Session of the Commission for Social Development!

But what else can I do? So you do whatever you can. There is no chance changing things on the ground. You get lost in a sea of others in most other venues. But directly at the UN during the session of the Commission for Social Development things are much smaller and cozy. Get in there like we can and you have a chance to get noticed. Look at some photos of me at Conference Room 4 where they reside. There isn’t 10000 other people there screaming to be heard; hardly anyone there at all. This is where you disseminate your idea. This is where it can happen. We are playing for all the marbles here folks and I personally think this is the only way to get it done.

2018 56th Session of the Commission for Social Development!

Even so, this being a closed event, I expect the competition to address the Commission to be very active; so no guarantees, but you still try. Or as I keep saying: Make the play! Make the play. That is all I can control. And that is what your life will come down to. Being disenfranchised, seeking answers as a youth and slowly developing to a point you think you can make a difference. Years running an experiment, and years setting up the journalist org. and lucking out and getting consultative statues that gets you into a closed event like the 57th Session of the Commission for Social Development. And here you are with an idea. And it all starts to happen now! So what do I do – well right now I try to get some more sleep, that is what I do.

Things will sort itself out shortly. Just keep everything in perspective and realize the world owes us nothing in the end.

Goodnight…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZceAQSJvc&feature=share
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 282, 283, 284 ... 414, 415, 416  Next
Page 283 of 416

Jump to: